Edinson Vólquez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Edinson Vólquez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Edinson Vólquez

Postby TeamMikeDeveraux » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:50 am

Yo guys are jumping the gun big time. While an aneurysm is possible, it is FAR from the most likely cause of this. I am sure if you polled them, the majority of MLB pitchers will tell you that they have had similar symptoms in the past. It is most likely something like slight inflammation of the ulnar nerve (which could be bad), or just overexertion on a couple of pitches. Let the news come out before you determine that this guys career is over from one symptom.
TeamMikeDeveraux
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:10 pm

TeamMikeDeveraux wrote:Yo guys are jumping the gun big time. While an aneurysm is possible, it is FAR from the most likely cause of this. I am sure if you polled them, the majority of MLB pitchers will tell you that they have had similar symptoms in the past. It is most likely something like slight inflammation of the ulnar nerve (which could be bad), or just overexertion on a couple of pitches. Let the news come out before you determine that this guys career is over from one symptom.

No one is determining anything, we are just discussing what it might be.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baseballspliffs » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:43 pm

Like I mentioned before, I'm no doctor, and I'm not pretending to be one here, so take this with a grain of salt and remember, Wikipedia should not be your source for medical information.

With that said, based on the symptoms described, which is numbness and tingling in the ring finger and pinky, it is likely that there's involvement of the ulnar nerve. If the pain/discomfort is limited to his hand only, then I would guess that the lesion or involvement to be distal, somewhere in his wrist, or better yet, pretty damn close to the fingers.

Had there been other symptoms, for example, pain in the forearm, which very well could be, I would guess there's an issue further up the arm, maybe around the forearm flexors, or around the elbow.

While I may be jumping the gun here, I am hoping that due to the inactivity and recent stint in the DL, that Voltron simply didn't warm up enough and possibly tweaked his wrist. As far as throwing a ball is concerned, flexors are far important than extensors, and the ulnar nerve makes up one of the two nerves involved in all things "flexors".

p.s. the wikipedia entry on ulnar nerve is actually pretty decent.
baseballspliffs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:31 pm

Back on the DL, tendonitis.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby silverZ » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:50 pm

any news?
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby lbblue » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:20 pm

silverZ wrote:any news?

Edinson Volquez-S-Reds Jun. 16 - 5:02 pm et

Edinson Volquez (elbow) threw from 110 feet on Tuesday.
After a day off, he'll throw from 120 feet. The next step after that is throwing off a mound, which would be followed by a rehab stint. "We've got to build him back up," manager Dusty Baker said. "It's not around the corner. It's around a couple of corners."

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... LB&id=4230
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 pm

Volquez Update
From Cincinnati.com
Edinson Volquez has been cleared to begin throwing again. He'll start Friday by throwing from 60 feet off flat ground. He's basically starting over.

"That's bad," he said.

But his arm feels good. He was examined yesterday by Dr. Tim Kremchek.

"I don't feel any pain," he said. "He stretched it, twisted it. He's going to check me every time I throw."

Volquez was surprised when he was shut down again last week.

"Yeah, because I didn't feel any pain," he said. "But the MRI showed some inflammation."

Volquez has been on the disabled list for all but a one-inning outing since May 16. He had a back problem, followed by the inflammation in his elbow.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates