Jamie Moyer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jamie Moyer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jamie Moyer

Postby red » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:30 pm

What are your thoughts on the man? Last season he was excellent, of course, we all know that. Second half, he tailed off a little but was still fine. Now, less hitting in the division aside from Anaheim; but he's 41 and I'm scared to death of using him.
Right now he's penciled in as my fourth starter (K.Brown, Wolf, Myers, J. Williams) plus Lieber/Pavano/affeldt/cliff lee waiting in the wings.
Should I move Moyer? Does anyone expect that he will still be good for 15 or so wins?
Thoughts?
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:33 pm

I dont have that much confidence in moyer. He did have a great year last year but i think hes getting too old and losing his stuff. I think hes good for about 13 wins, probably around a 3.75 E.R.A

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:49 pm

He should be able to get 15 wins. I can throw harder than him, but he still managed to get 21 last year. He won't get K's but he's shown he can TCB without over-powering anybody. Similar to Maddux. Once he starts losing movement on his pitches and his control, watch out though. He's risky, but has upside for the ratios and wins.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby red » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:16 pm

Come on boys, more Moyer comments! Really not sure if I should move the man. How's this-- if you think I should move him-- who is the "target range" or hitter or pitcher to get?
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:30 pm

Given your current SP aituation, I would not try and move Moyer. KB is great of course, but he is an injury risk. Wolfs %s werent eye popping, but he is slightly above avg. Myers and Williams are pretty big risks too of course. Out of the others, I would only be happy about Cliff Lee as of right now.
Basically what I see is a SP staff drafted with upside in mind, and that includes the risk those type of picks present as well. Given that, I think Moyer is less of a risk even though he is 100 yrs old. I see Moyer as a low risk, low upside compliment to your high risk, high reward SP staff, and I would nt be trying to move him as it stands.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby red » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:07 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Given your current SP aituation, I would not try and move Moyer. KB is great of course, but he is an injury risk. Wolfs %s werent eye popping, but he is slightly above avg. Myers and Williams are pretty big risks too of course. Out of the others, I would only be happy about Cliff Lee as of right now.
Basically what I see is a SP staff drafted with upside in mind, and that includes the risk those type of picks present as well. Given that, I think Moyer is less of a risk even though he is 100 yrs old. I see Moyer as a low risk, low upside compliment to your high risk, high reward SP staff, and I would nt be trying to move him as it stands.

I eventually traded Moyer late last night for Oswalt (Moyer in a package). For the record: above-- this was a great post!
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby homerunhitter » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:50 am

Moyer's like fine wine, he just keeps getting better with age. Although the wins were a surprise last year, I don't think he will do considerably worse. Granted he is old, but with his finesse approach, he isn't a big injury risk. Jamie's preparation, insight on hitters, and ability to adjust during a game will help him continue his success this year. Don't forget Seattle's bullpen either.
homerunhitter
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Jury » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:03 pm

See if you can move him for someone like Andruw or Robb Nen.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fantstud » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:24 pm

This guy gets no respect. In every league he goes late and makes some owner happy with his 20 wins.
Fantstud
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers