Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do?

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:03 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:they have at least 20 dogs, probably closer to 25.

Holy crap! What do they operate a kennel or something?

They breed some worthless little dog that people pay like $1,000 a piece for. But what happens is that every time they have a litter, there's one that doesn't sell--it's ears aren't right, it's markings aren't right, whatever--so instead of giving it away or feeding it to the bigger dogs or doing whatever people do with puppies they can't get rid of, they keep it. So now they have almost twenty of the things running around, plus two bird dogs, some huge beast that's there to keep coyotes away, apparently...a couple random dogs that they took in when friends couldn't keep them, some little fur-ball looking thing, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. They've got 40 acres and the dogs have the run of a lot of it, so there's plenty of space, and his wife used to be a vet-tech or something, so she's able to give them all the shots and stuff. I don't know...it seems crazy to me, but it' s not my land, not my money, and not my time, so what do I care?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

They breed some worthless little dog that people pay like $1,000 a piece for. But what happens is that every time they have a litter, there's one that doesn't sell--it's ears aren't right, it's markings aren't right, whatever--so instead of giving it away or feeding it to the bigger dogs or doing whatever people do with puppies they can't get rid of, they keep it. So now they have almost twenty of the things running around, plus two bird dogs, some huge beast that's there to keep coyotes away, apparently...a couple random dogs that they took in when friends couldn't keep them, some little fur-ball looking thing, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. They've got 40 acres and the dogs have the run of a lot of it, so there's plenty of space, and his wife used to be a vet-tech or something, so she's able to give them all the shots and stuff. I don't know...it seems crazy to me, but it' s not my land, not my money, and not my time, so what do I care?

Yeah, I couldn't do that either, but to each his own and more power to them. Seems a bit irresponsible though, to constantly breed a dog knowing you probably won't sell them all. Whatever, as long as they keep them happy and don't have to euthanize all the time. I love dogs, as I said, but I'm more of a one dog guy. I've compromised with the wife though. If it was up to her she'd probably have 4 or 5. :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:...so instead of giving it away or feeding it to the bigger dogs or doing whatever people do with puppies they can't get rid of...

I loled. :-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:42 pm

knapplc wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:...so instead of giving it away or feeding it to the bigger dogs or doing whatever people do with puppies they can't get rid of...

You wouldn't have if he was talking about a cat. :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:51 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:

You wouldn't have if he was talking about a cat. :-D

I like dogs more than cats. I'm just outvoted at home about whether we have a dog or a cat.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:00 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

they've got nothing on this guy

In the third day of a rescue of dozens of dogs from a Dearborn home, police have found more than 150 dead dogs across the home, many in freezers, refrigerators and plastic bags.

Fox 2 reports that an investigation is ongoing and criminal charges are pending.

More than 100 dogs, mostly Chihuahas were rescued from the home. If you are interested in adopting one of them, visit http://www.dearborn-animals.com.

Neighbors began to complain of a stench coming from the home, which was well-kept on the outside. Inside, however, officials found trash piled high and feces and urine covering the floors. Officials had to use masks to breathe.

Forty-two ailing and feces-covered dogs were rescued Wednesday. Crews returned Thursday and found more than 60 dogs.

The man living in the house was taken to a local hospital for observation. His family, which lives in Florida, was cooperating with officials. Investigators have said he apparently was hoarding the dogs.

Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:33 pm

I agree with you Art, you shouldn't have to deal with dogs or their byproducts(crap) in public parks, or anywhere other than dog parks or the homes of their owners. I know you weren't directing your post at me but when I posted earlier that I take my dog to the regular park it's always in a remote part of the park and when no one is around. I do realize that I am technically breaking the law and the she is supposed to be on a leash, but I guess I take that chance of getting cited so that my dog can get the exercise she needs. I make sure to either go really early or relatively late when no one is there, and I ALWAYS clean up after my dog. I know what it's like to step in dog crap and I hate it as much as you do.

I'd love to go only to the dog park but unfortunately 90% of the dogs and dog owners that frequent the dog parks aren't worth a crap. I still think that people should have to be licensed to own dogs and licensing fee should be fairly hefty. That would help a little to weed out the crap dog owners from the ones that are serious about their dogs.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:02 pm

I don't really even care when people bring their dog to the park or beach as long as they clean up after it and it's not running all over the place bothering people, particularly me. If I'm at the beach and some dude down the way has a dog off leash it's not like I'm going to go say something to him, but if his dog comes up and shakes on me and my stuff, I'm not going to not say something to him.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 pm

Metroid wrote:I agree with you Art, you shouldn't have to deal with dogs or their byproducts(crap) in public parks, or anywhere other than dog parks or the homes of their owners. I know you weren't directing your post at me but when I posted earlier that I take my dog to the regular park it's always in a remote part of the park and when no one is around. I do realize that I am technically breaking the law and the she is supposed to be on a leash, but I guess I take that chance of getting cited so that my dog can get the exercise she needs. I make sure to either go really early or relatively late when no one is there, and I ALWAYS clean up after my dog. I know what it's like to step in dog crap and I hate it as much as you do.

It's nice for me to have a farm to take our dogs to and let them hike and run around freely. We used to take Carlie, our old black lab, to the park and let her off her leash to play fetch, but she was so intent on getting that ball, she never bothered anyone. And she was so athletic with the frisbee or tennis ball, that she would draw a crowd. Seriously. People would stand and watch and would clap when she made an acrobatic catch.

Metroid wrote:I'd love to go only to the dog park but unfortunately 90% of the dogs and dog owners that frequent the dog parks aren't worth a crap. I still think that people should have to be licensed to own dogs and licensing fee should be fairly hefty. That would help a little to weed out the crap dog owners from the ones that are serious about their dogs.

I don't know. I like the thought behind it, but I'd be afraid of what their criteria would be and, being the damned conservative I am O:-) , I'm hesitant to allow government into my personal life and be able to tell me what I can and cannot do, more than they currently do anyway. I see your point though. I sometimes think it wouldn't be a bad idea for parents either. :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby urbanbreez » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:43 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I don't really even care when people bring their dog to the park or beach as long as they clean up after it and it's not running all over the place bothering people, particularly me. If I'm at the beach and some dude down the way has a dog off leash it's not like I'm going to go say something to him, but if his dog comes up and shakes on me and my stuff, I'm not going to not say something to him.

Oh honestly Arthur, you sound like a grumpy old man. If you want not to be around dogs, what with all the obnoxious shaking and carrying on, go to a "humans only" beach. I'm sure it's easier to find one of those than one where dogs are actually allowed off leash, at least that's the case here in California. Of course even those beaches might have children. Children also have been known to run, jump and shake. So perhaps a remote island in the South Pacific would be the safest bet.

What you're describing is the equivalent of going to a nude beach and complaining about all the nudity. Dogs generally run, jump and shake at the beach. Your chances of being victimized by any one of those activities are greatly increased if you happen to be laying on a beach where dogs and kids are allowed. That's pretty much what I'd say if you started yelling at me when my dog shakes sand on your blanket.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk