Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do?

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:53 am

Yea Dog Parks aren't the best. My wife is sad that we can't go to them but this is her first dog and I don't think she really gets it 100% yet.

Like I said Bella was good with other dogs at the dog park (a little to rambunctious for a few minutes; she tires fast) but she wasn't aggressive till she got attacked. Before the attack she'd even "shelter' smaller dogs like when they were playing she'd kinda stand over them but in a play way .


Anyways no more dog parks. Pretty much ruined her for other dogs.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do?

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:10 am

Yeah, we've seen those dogs and their owners before too and we rarely go to the dog park anymore. There's one in Lincoln we'll take one of the dogs to, but it's really huge, lots of wooded areas and a creek for her to splash around in while she plays fetch. There's one guy and his dog in particular I remember. His dog is some sort of huskie mix I think, or chow, probably chow, but it's a very large dog, so maybe not chow. Whatever, large dog, lots of hair, curly tail. Anyway, at this park it has a large dog and a small dog area. Every once in a while people who may own both bring their small dogs into the large dog area. Not a good idea this one day (I wasn't there) I guess this dog actually killed a much smaller dog. But nothing was 'proven' and the guy continues to bring that dog to the park. Unbelievable. As soon as he shows up, most people who know him and his dog, leave right away. That just boggles my mind. I feel guilty whenever my dog greets someone when not encouraged to do so, knowing that there are quite a few people who simply don't like dogs.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do?

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:12 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Yeah, we've seen those dogs and their owners before too and we rarely go to the dog park anymore. There's one in Lincoln we'll take one of the dogs to, but it's really huge, lots of wooded areas and a creek for her to splash around in while she plays fetch. There's one guy and his dog in particular I remember. His dog is some sort of huskie mix I think, or chow, probably chow, but it's a very large dog, so maybe not chow. Whatever, large dog, lots of hair, curly tail. Anyway, at this park it has a large dog and a small dog area. Every once in a while people who may own both bring their small dogs into the large dog area. Not a good idea this one day (I wasn't there) I guess this dog actually killed a much smaller dog. But nothing was 'proven' and the guy continues to bring that dog to the park. Unbelievable. As soon as he shows up, most people who know him and his dog, leave right away. That just boggles my mind. I feel guilty whenever my dog greets someone when not encouraged to do so, knowing that there are quite a few people who simply don't like dogs.


On the other hand some lady brought her dog that doesn't like dogs (timid) to the dog park and my dog went up to that dog and wasn't agressive but was trying to play and I walked over to get her away as obviously the dog didn't want to be played with (it literally cowered by it's owner the whole time) and on my way over there the lady started beating my dog with her purse. I'm like lady your dog obviously doesn't like other dogs
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do?

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:53 am

acsguitar wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Yeah, we've seen those dogs and their owners before too and we rarely go to the dog park anymore. There's one in Lincoln we'll take one of the dogs to, but it's really huge, lots of wooded areas and a creek for her to splash around in while she plays fetch. There's one guy and his dog in particular I remember. His dog is some sort of huskie mix I think, or chow, probably chow, but it's a very large dog, so maybe not chow. Whatever, large dog, lots of hair, curly tail. Anyway, at this park it has a large dog and a small dog area. Every once in a while people who may own both bring their small dogs into the large dog area. Not a good idea this one day (I wasn't there) I guess this dog actually killed a much smaller dog. But nothing was 'proven' and the guy continues to bring that dog to the park. Unbelievable. As soon as he shows up, most people who know him and his dog, leave right away. That just boggles my mind. I feel guilty whenever my dog greets someone when not encouraged to do so, knowing that there are quite a few people who simply don't like dogs.


On the other hand some lady brought her dog that doesn't like dogs (timid) to the dog park and my dog went up to that dog and wasn't agressive but was trying to play and I walked over to get her away as obviously the dog didn't want to be played with (it literally cowered by it's owner the whole time) and on my way over there the lady started beating my dog with her purse. I'm like lady your dog obviously doesn't like other dogs


In a perfect world, all dogs could go to a park offleash and all dogs would love the interaction and all dogs would be the same size. Obviously there are a plethora of variables that don't always intermingle well. To each their own. We had a blast most of the time, but I really don't want to risk it. If you choose to take your dog to a dog park, I'd suggest staying very close, keeping a close eye on all the dogs' behaviors, not just yours, and make sure it's not too busy. If there's a dozen dogs in one small area, most dogs will feel claustrophobic or overwhelmed and could either cower or get defensive and neither is something a responsible dog owner wants for their dog. Here is the article I was referring to.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do?

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:09 pm

To everyone who brings their dogs to a dog park: I love you.
To everyone who brings their dogs to a human park and lets them off leash: I hate you.

I know there are exceptions, but if you take the groups as a whole, I can't think of anyone more inconsiderate that dog owners. Maybe smokers. That's probably a push.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do?

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:To everyone who brings their dogs to a dog park: I love you.
To everyone who brings their dogs to a human park and lets them off leash: I hate you.

I know there are exceptions, but if you take the groups as a whole, I can't think of anyone more inconsiderate that dog owners. Maybe smokers. That's probably a push.


I think it's because so many people (not just dog owners) make assumptions. They assume most people like dogs as much as they do. For me, I'd probably introduce myself to most of the dogs in a dog park. If I'm at a ballgame or in the human park or wherever, and see a dog, I'll ask the owner if I can pet it. If I get jumped up on, licked, or whatever, it's fine with me. I love dogs. But I certainly don't assume everyone does. I think I've read posts of yours where you've expressed your dislike for dogs and I certainly respect that so I wouldn't allow my dog to get near you. I don't let that happen to anyone unless they ask first. And cleaning up after your dog is just common sense. But people practice assumptions, not common sense, and it puts a bad label on those who do. I have a buddy who was attacked on 2 separate occasions when he was a child. He's very much afraid of large dogs even though he's a large man himself. When he comes over, the dogs are locked up elsewhere. I wouldn't expect him to accept them.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do?

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:11 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:To everyone who brings their dogs to a dog park: I love you.
To everyone who brings their dogs to a human park and lets them off leash: I hate you.

I know there are exceptions, but if you take the groups as a whole, I can't think of anyone more inconsiderate that dog owners. Maybe smokers. That's probably a push.


I think it's because so many people (not just dog owners) make assumptions. They assume most people like dogs as much as they do. For me, I'd probably introduce myself to most of the dogs in a dog park. If I'm at a ballgame or in the human park or wherever, and see a dog, I'll ask the owner if I can pet it. If I get jumped up on, licked, or whatever, it's fine with me. I love dogs. But I certainly don't assume everyone does. I think I've read posts of yours where you've expressed your dislike for dogs and I certainly respect that so I wouldn't allow my dog to get near you. I don't let that happen to anyone unless they ask first. And cleaning up after your dog is just common sense. But people practice assumptions, not common sense, and it puts a bad label on those who do. I have a buddy who was attacked on 2 separate occasions when he was a child. He's very much afraid of large dogs even though he's a large man himself. When he comes over, the dogs are locked up elsewhere. I wouldn't expect him to accept them.


phssssst. art would love my dog :^
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do?

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:24 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:To everyone who brings their dogs to a dog park: I love you.
To everyone who brings their dogs to a human park and lets them off leash: I hate you.

I know there are exceptions, but if you take the groups as a whole, I can't think of anyone more inconsiderate that dog owners. Maybe smokers. That's probably a push.



My friends always bring their dogs to public parks and let them off the leash and it's gotta be stressful I mean there is like a guarentee of some sort of dog fight. Maybe not a bad one but still.

Also, it's illegal here in Denver. People argue on the radio for it all the time and I want to call up and say "He you can put your dog off the leash but if it comes up to my dog there is a good chance your dog is going to need medical attention." I have my dog on a short leash. She is Great with people but stil I don't want her jumping on people etc.

Dog owners are inconsiderate I agree with that 100%. I learn to spot the "Oh doggy wants to meet your dog" look in people's eyes. I always say "Not good with dogs'" and 99% of the time they get the picture. I make sure I tell them that my dog doesn't want to meet their dog.

The other week I saw a crazy dog/peopel fight in the neighbor hood. Some lady was walking her dog by and the next thing I know a dog runs unleased from the other persons home attacks the one dog and then there are like 4 people and 2 dogs in a giant fight. It lasted a good minute or so (which is an eternity) one dog launched like a kangaroo and one persons face. It was nuts. BTW if 2 dogs are fighting you grab the back legs of the dog to get it to stop. If you try to do it any other way you'll get the crap bit out of you.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do?

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:To everyone who brings their dogs to a dog park: I love you.
To everyone who brings their dogs to a human park and lets them off leash: I hate you.

I know there are exceptions, but if you take the groups as a whole, I can't think of anyone more inconsiderate that dog owners. Maybe smokers. That's probably a push.


I think it's because so many people (not just dog owners) make assumptions. They assume most people like dogs as much as they do. For me, I'd probably introduce myself to most of the dogs in a dog park. If I'm at a ballgame or in the human park or wherever, and see a dog, I'll ask the owner if I can pet it. If I get jumped up on, licked, or whatever, it's fine with me. I love dogs. But I certainly don't assume everyone does. I think I've read posts of yours where you've expressed your dislike for dogs and I certainly respect that so I wouldn't allow my dog to get near you. I don't let that happen to anyone unless they ask first. And cleaning up after your dog is just common sense. But people practice assumptions, not common sense, and it puts a bad label on those who do. I have a buddy who was attacked on 2 separate occasions when he was a child. He's very much afraid of large dogs even though he's a large man himself. When he comes over, the dogs are locked up elsewhere. I wouldn't expect him to accept them.

It's not that I hate dogs, per se, it's that I hate having to deal with dogs, their byproducts, and their owners, at places where I shouldn't have to deal with them. I wouldn't go to a dog park and complain about the dogs, and I wouldn't go to someone's house and complain about their dog. Actually, just this weekend I went to my brother-in-law's house, they have at least 20 dogs, probably closer to 25. I don't expect them to pen up all the dogs just because I'm showing up. But when I go to a park where dogs aren't allowed off leash and people are supposed to clean up after their dogs, I shouldn't have to worry about strange dogs running up on me with owners nowhere in sight or stepping in piles and dog poop. That's really all I ask. Keep them on a leash when they're supposed to be on a leash and clean up after them when they go to the bathroom. Unfortunately, that's asking too much from most people.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Neighbors Dog Bit me! What should I do?

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:they have at least 20 dogs, probably closer to 25.


Holy crap! What do they operate a kennel or something?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact