Can someone explain why Kemp is batting 8th? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can someone explain why Kemp is batting 8th?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Can someone explain why Kemp is batting 8th?

Postby iltat » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:57 pm

Because, ya know, that solo home run finally gave Torre the impression that maybe this kid can hit?
iltat
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby REBEL5 AC » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:38 am

Controlled that 9th hole tonight...makes NO sense.
REBEL5 AC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:41 am

They won the game... I know it sucks for his fantasy owners because they want more R/RBI Ops., etc., but clearly batting Kemp where he's bat all season hasn't hurt this team as they continue to have, by and far, the best record in baseball. 2/3 with a Run and SB last night - do you really care what spot in the lineup it came from? Why people keep expecting Torrie to tinker with his lineup majorly when his team is beating everybody is simply baffling to me.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby rippz » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:53 am

Once Manny returns Pierre will no longer be in the lineup. Hudson will bat 1st and Kemp will be moved to 2nd. Kemp is most likely batting 8th or 9th right now because they want his speed to be a weapon and with Pierre and Hudson doing so well in the one and two hole there is no other option.
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby iltat » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:52 pm

Why is Kemp batting 8th?

Because the pitcher was batting 9th. Now that it's AL time, he'll continue to bat 9th, just like he ought to. :P
iltat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby californiasunshine » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:55 pm

rippz wrote:Once Manny returns Pierre will no longer be in the lineup. Hudson will bat 1st and Kemp will be moved to 2nd. Kemp is most likely batting 8th or 9th right now because they want his speed to be a weapon and with Pierre and Hudson doing so well in the one and two hole there is no other option.

Lol I seriously doubt that unless the Dodgers actually start losing significantly Kemp will bat in the top 3 for any extended period of time.
californiasunshine
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:13 pm

I really don't have an answer as to why Torre keeps alternating bottom of the order spots with Kemp, but with that in mind, it wasn't a surprise to begin with that Torre would keep juggling the order (more so since Manny has been out).

That said, Kemp has continued to improve and produce. He's working counts better and he continues to walk more. Why he isn't moved up the order, who knows, perhaps it's a reputation thing for once being a hacker or as a baserunner who had made poor decisions (think there was such a moment in last Friday's game if I recall correctly). At any rate, I do believe management and Torre still rate Kemp very highly, but I think they view Kemp as a work in progress, who needs steady development, I reckon. Like h0rt said, Kemp is still producing no matter the spot he's in and I think with the Dodgers have a nice cushion in first, Torre probably feels he has time to tinker his lineup some. My guess is as good as yours really.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers