Can someone explain why Kemp is batting 8th? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can someone explain why Kemp is batting 8th?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Can someone explain why Kemp is batting 8th?

Postby mweir145 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:45 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:Yeah, good point... Arod was so bad at that point he shouldn't have been in the lineup.

What!? :-o

ARod had a .914 OPS in 2006, which ranked 3rd on the team behind Giambi and Abreu. Sure he was 1 for 11 in the first 3 games of that series, but you can't honestly believe that was a legitimate reason to move one of the greatest hitters of all time to 8th in the order? Right?

Boy, you're easy.

I had a feeling, but how am I supposed to know it was a joke? You do have a history of saying and believing ridiculous things (ex. that Manny Ramirez actually decided to strike out on purpose in a game to prove a point).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Sat May 30, 2009 11:04 pm

Ender wrote:
hett2333 wrote:
He probably should be hitting somewhere around 5 or 6, but at this point in his career he couldn't bat leadoff. K's way to much...

I will never understand this argument. Out of every player in your lineup a K in the leadoff spot hurts the least. I know in the long run it hurts your AVG which hurts your OBP but the bottom line is mostly you want a high OBP, K rate isn't even a minor concern in the equation.

Agreed, Sizemore seemed to do just fine with a high K rate in the leadoff spot.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat May 30, 2009 11:09 pm

Ender wrote:
hett2333 wrote:
He probably should be hitting somewhere around 5 or 6, but at this point in his career he couldn't bat leadoff. K's way to much...

I will never understand this argument. Out of every player in your lineup a K in the leadoff spot hurts the least. I know in the long run it hurts your AVG which hurts your OBP but the bottom line is mostly you want a high OBP, K rate isn't even a minor concern in the equation.

while i dont see the K hurting any more than any other position, how does a k hurt the least? i would say a K hurts the least when there are men on base, taking away the opportunity of a DP. but then, the flipside is that runners cant be moved up, so i guess it evens out.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Sun May 31, 2009 12:11 am

Torre was probably working on his next book, and meant to write a 3, not 8?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Polar Bear » Sun May 31, 2009 10:12 pm

crushed another HR tonight and stole a base. He did strike out with the bases loaded though...

I have no clue why this guy is batting behind Martin. You want your better hitters to get more ABs through the year. Kemp should be batting at least 5. he batted 6 tonight...I think.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby battles » Sun May 31, 2009 11:30 pm

Polar Bear wrote:crushed another HR tonight and stole a base. He did strike out with the bases loaded though...

I have no clue why this guy is batting behind Martin. You want your better hitters to get more ABs through the year. Kemp should be batting at least 5. he batted 6 tonight...I think.

yeah it was nice to see him hit another HR so soon and steal a base. wish he didn't strike out in the 1st inning with the bases loaded though. with ethier struggling a bit, i hope torre starts considering batting kemp toward the start of that lineup.
battles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 am

battles wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:crushed another HR tonight and stole a base. He did strike out with the bases loaded though...

yeah it was nice to see him hit another HR so soon and steal a base. wish he didn't strike out in the 1st inning with the bases loaded though. with ethier struggling a bit, i hope torre starts considering batting kemp toward the start of that lineup.

Kemp hit 5th last week, but even though Torre isn't likely to switch up his lineup, he'll probably be at the bottom of the order. He is heating back up over the last several games though and so, hopefully he's moved up the order soon.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby hett2333 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:25 am

Zito is God wrote:
Ender wrote:
hett2333 wrote:

Agreed, Sizemore seemed to do just fine with a high K rate in the leadoff spot.

Come on now, two completely different hitters this point in their careers. Kemp is much more of a free swinger than Sizemore.
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:03 am

mweir145 wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:
mweir145 wrote:What!? :-o
ARod had a .914 OPS in 2006, which ranked 3rd on the team behind Giambi and Abreu. Sure he was 1 for 11 in the first 3 games of that series, but you can't honestly believe that was a legitimate reason to move one of the greatest hitters of all time to 8th in the order? Right?

Boy, you're easy.

I had a feeling, but how am I supposed to know it was a joke? You do have a history of saying and believing ridiculous things (ex. that Manny Ramirez actually decided to strike out on purpose in a game to prove a point).

Just as you have a history of misquoting/mis-characterizing things. For at least the fifth time, I said that some blogger brought up the idea that Manny MIGHT have struck out on purpose in that particular instance, and I defended the idea that it was POSSIBLE. Given the 300 or so whacky things Manny did in his tenure in Boston and the fact that he refused to pinch hit on multiple occasions and that this event was in the middle of one of his shoot-his-way-out-of-town episodes, I do believe that it is POSSIBLE. Not definite, not absolute, not certainty - but possible. That you think it is IMPOSSIBLE in the face of all other evidence of Manny's buffoonery is what is ridiculous.

[And please don't insert your "you stupid Boston fans just love to trash guys on their way out of town, even if they single-handedly won you two World Series" line here... the two things have nothing to do with each other. Most Boston fans universally agree that Manny was/is an incredible hitter who was instrumental in helping the Red Sox win two titles - but he is a friggin' whack job.]

Sorry for taking this thread so far off topic.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Polar Bear » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:12 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
battles wrote:

Kemp hit 5th last week, but even though Torre isn't likely to switch up his lineup, he'll probably be at the bottom of the order. He is heating back up over the last several games though and so, hopefully he's moved up the order soon.

I guess it is purely selfish fantasy logic that wants him to move up in the order. At the end of the day the Dodgers are still cruising and the batting order doesn't seem to be hurting them much. I would still move Martin down though.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers