Is it time to trade Brandon Phillips? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Is it time to trade Brandon Phillips?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is it time to trade Brandon Phillips?

Postby bigpat7676 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:07 am

With that thumb injury of his?
Go Yankees!!
bigpat7676
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is it time to trade Brandon Phillips?

Postby LostInTheBoom » Sat May 30, 2009 9:57 am

Wouldn't now be the worst time to trade him? You'll get nothing in return...
LostInTheBoom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BiggGC » Sat May 30, 2009 10:37 am

LostInTheBoom wrote:Wouldn't now be the worst time to trade him? You'll get nothing in return...

Yep
Thanks to WhiteSoxPride
BiggGC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mrmet » Sat May 30, 2009 11:53 am

I actually just traded Phillips and Wieters for Brandon Webb and Jerry Hairston. Hairston has been a hot utility player and Webb will make a nice pitching upgrade when he returns. Phillips has been hot and cold all year and Wieters to me is unproven. He could be Braun or he could be LaPorta.
Last edited by Mrmet on Sat May 30, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mrmet
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby theplayer11 » Sat May 30, 2009 12:24 pm

I wouldn't say he has been hot and cold all year..more like ice cold..then hot
theplayer11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LostInTheBoom » Sat May 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Mrmet wrote:I actually just traded Phillips and Wieters for Brandon Webb and Scott Hairston. Hairston has been a hot utility player and Webb will make a nice pitching upgrade when he returns. Phillips has been hot and cold all year and Wieters to me is unproven. He could be Braun or he could be LaPorta.

That's a lot to give up for a player playing over his head (Hairston) and a pitcher who won't be playing until mid-June at the earliest (Webb). Maybe I'm just buying into the Wieters hype though? Maybe it makes sense if you are stacked at catcher and second base.

IMO, this trade illustrates that this is a bad time to deal a player like Phillips because you won't get great value for him...only gamble trades where you deal question marks for question marks...
LostInTheBoom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mhuhn23 » Sat May 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Mrmet wrote:I actually just traded Phillips and Wieters for Brandon Webb and Scott Hairston. Hairston has been a hot utility player and Webb will make a nice pitching upgrade when he returns. Phillips has been hot and cold all year and Wieters to me is unproven. He could be Braun or he could be LaPorta.

Wieters has played 1 game...you could have at least gave him a few game test run...you better hope Wieters turns out to be LaPorta, but I highly doubt that.
mhuhn23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mrmet » Sat May 30, 2009 1:54 pm

[quote]IMO, this trade illustrates that this is a bad time to deal a player like Phillips because you won't get great value for him...only gamble trades where you deal question marks for question marks...[/quote]

Exactly. I love the gamble.

My lineup right now
C Soto
1B Adrian Gonzalez
2B Adam Kennedy or who ever I can haul off the waiver wire
SS Steven Drew
3B David Wright
RF Adam Dunn
CF Grady Sizemore
LF Jason Bay
Util Justin Upton

Bench
Jerry Hairston
Jayson Werth

Pitchers
Relievers
Valarde
Sherrill
Bailey
Okijima
H Bell
Cory Wade

Starters
Grienke
Harang
Gallardo
Slowey
Carpenter
Hamels
Kershaw
Webb

Holds are a category, reason for middle relief

Actually considering offering Grienke for Pedroia. He may bite that owner is in last place and it is a keeper league. No prisoners. Cant keep the same player 2 years in a row. Pedroia is on his second year with that owner

Regardless. I got a top shelf starter. I know know the potential upside to Wieters. And I actually made the trade on Wed when I heard he was coming up. I already have Soto at catcher and still believe he was no fluke last year. I think the back of a baseball card speaks more than any scouts opinion. Dont believe me? Alex Escobar, Alex Ochoa, Bill Pusipher, Lastings Milledge, etc etc...... Yes I'm a Met fan
Mrmet
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LostInTheBoom » Sat May 30, 2009 9:33 pm

Mrmet wrote:
IMO, this trade illustrates that this is a bad time to deal a player like Phillips because you won't get great value for him...only gamble trades where you deal question marks for question marks...

Exactly. I love the gamble.

My lineup right now
C Soto
1B Adrian Gonzalez
2B Adam Kennedy or who ever I can haul off the waiver wire
SS Steven Drew
3B David Wright
RF Adam Dunn
CF Grady Sizemore
LF Jason Bay
Util Justin Upton

Bench
Jerry Hairston
Jayson Werth

Pitchers
Relievers
Valarde
Sherrill
Bailey
Okijima
H Bell
Cory Wade

Starters
Grienke
Harang
Gallardo
Slowey
Carpenter
Hamels
Kershaw
Webb

Holds are a category, reason for middle relief

Actually considering offering Grienke for Pedroia. He may bite that owner is in last place and it is a keeper league. No prisoners. Cant keep the same player 2 years in a row. Pedroia is on his second year with that owner

Regardless. I got a top shelf starter. I know know the potential upside to Wieters. And I actually made the trade on Wed when I heard he was coming up. I already have Soto at catcher and still believe he was no fluke last year. I think the back of a baseball card speaks more than any scouts opinion. Dont believe me? Alex Escobar, Alex Ochoa, Bill Pusipher, Lastings Milledge, etc etc...... Yes I'm a Met fan

I hope for your sake that Webb comes back healthy...I am always skeptical of pitchers coming back from injuries that make them miss multiple months. Seems like a third of the time they pitch a few starts and then need TJ surgery or something equally season-ending. If Webb is fine, and you are able to pull of that Greinke for Pedroia trade, you would be in great shape, I agree with you.

Meanwhile, B-Phillips is back in the lineup hitting dingers...haha. I'm kidding, I don't think the stats from one game mean anything...but it is a great sign that he's back in the lineup. I suffered the same injury playing basketball in highschool and I was able to play through it for the rest of the year without much of a hitch so I think he'll be okay...then again, in basketball I didn't have 100 mph line drives hit at me, so who knows...
LostInTheBoom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:02 pm

there is a pretty big difference between good prospects and the #1 hitting prospect in baseball. there are lots of good prospects (lastings milledge, travis snyder, willingham, pence, etc. etc.. ) with those type of players you don't reall know when they are going to pan out, but can assume that eventually they will..

but as far as the #1 major-league hitting prospect goes (like wieters) there is a pretty proven track record..

off of the top of my head, i think its something like this.

2009 - Wieters :-?
2008 - Longoria ;-D
2007 - Braun ;-D
2006 - Hanley ;-D
2005 - Ryan Howard ;-D
2004 - David Wright ;-D
2003 - angel Barroa %-6
2002 - Eric Hinske :-P
2001 - Pujols ;-D

somewhere in here is Ben Grieve, who obviously was a bust.. but only 3 busts in 10 years is good enough for me..

i think thats a pretty dominant track record. and if I had drafted every one of those players too early every year, I would have a pretty dominant keeper team right about now..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates