Votto... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Votto...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Votto...

Postby mhuhn23 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:58 pm

So what's the deal tonight? Once again an AB and then leaves the game...and I put him in a UTIL spot over Luke Scott (who is 3/3 2 HR 5 RBI at the moment)

This is getting soooooo frustrating...he's about to ride the pine on my squad until he strings together a good 10 starts and finishes in a row.
mhuhn23
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Votto...

Postby pepperoncino » Fri May 29, 2009 9:24 pm

aaaaaaarrrrgghhh. wtf why is he out of the lineup again! killin me.
pepperoncino
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JoshExley » Fri May 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Here we go again...
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby battles » Sat May 30, 2009 1:23 am

JoshExley wrote:Here we go again...

lol came on here to say the exact same quote.
battles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Sat May 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Off of rotoworld Saturday afternoon:

Reds placed first baseman Joey Votto on the 15-day disabled list with stress-related issues.

Votto left Friday's game in the second inning. He has been bothered by an inner-ear infection that causes dizzy spells. No word yet on how much time he will miss.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bea Arthur » Sun May 31, 2009 1:38 pm

This is really one of the more bizarre set of circumstances surrounding a player that I can recall in a long time. Reminds me of when Greinke took some time off a few years back. It's really killing me, especially since I just traded my backup 1B, Billy Butler, under the assumption Votto was getting better.

“He’s dealing with a personal issue. He wants us to respect his privacy about that,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said.

No more details were revealed, at Votto’s request. There was no timetable for a return.

“They weren’t informed about what was wrong,” Baker said of the meeting. “I just told them we have to stick together, even more than ever. Whatever it is, we need to support him. This is like a member of your family. Right now, he needs their support and love and understanding something they might not even understand.”

Apparently, this has less to do with the inner ear infection than originally speculated but again — details are at a minimum.

“It’s partly that. Let’s leave it at that,” general manager Walt Jocketty said. “It’s basically something that Joey needs some time away to deal with. We gave him that time. It’s not a big deal but it’s something that was affecting his ability to play at the level he wants to play at.”
Bea Arthur
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby juanguzman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:41 pm

I can't really add any information to this I feel like the reporting on the issue has been kind of murky? Was it inner ear inffection that was causing the dizziness or an anxiety disorder? I understand that its a private matter and there is a particular stigma attached to so called "mental illnesses", but i really would like to know more about what is going on?

From what I understand with his history w/ the reds and team canada in the WBC Votto carries himself like a pro, he doesn't give off that flaky vibe like some players do/did and has no track record of problems in his past. I wish him a healthy return to baseball cause that guy can seriously mash.
juanguzman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby raygunpunx » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:05 pm

juanguzman wrote:I can't really add any information to this I feel like the reporting on the issue has been kind of murky? Was it inner ear inffection that was causing the dizziness or an anxiety disorder? I understand that its a private matter and there is a particular stigma attached to so called "mental illnesses", but i really would like to know more about what is going on?

From what I understand with his history w/ the reds and team canada in the WBC Votto carries himself like a pro, he doesn't give off that flaky vibe like some players do/did and has no track record of problems in his past. I wish him a healthy return to baseball cause that guy can seriously mash.

Does anyone think he will be back this year??
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby juanguzman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:12 pm

raygunpunx wrote:Does anyone think he will be back this year??

My initial guess is yes he will be back before june ends, but with the incomplete information on this story its hard to get a picture.
juanguzman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby battles » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:20 pm

Any updates? Couldn't really find anything new, which isn't a good thing.
battles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates