Need feedback on Drafting Strategy regarding CLOSERS! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need feedback on Drafting Strategy regarding CLOSERS!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need feedback on Drafting Strategy regarding CLOSERS!

Postby icemansa1 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:56 pm

I am in a 7x7 league. The pitching categories are INN,ERA,WHIP,W,BAA,K,S

We start 6 Starting Pitchers and 2 Relief Pitchers.

Our P eligibility rules are 10 games last year at the position or 5 games this year at the position.

We are therefore allowed to start, for example, Jeremy Affeldt
or Jose Contreras in the RP positions. I have a friend that did not draft a "closer" and is going to effectively start a total of 8 starting pitchers including the 2 above RPs.

I have a draft tonight in another league. Is throwing away Saves smart in this case? Does it give you a serious advantage or disadvantage?

Thanks.
icemansa1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:22 pm

is it h2h or roto?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby icemansa1 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:24 pm

It is Roto with 13 owners....sorry 'bout that!
icemansa1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby TheRawDAWG » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:34 pm

Roto or H2H is huge. In H2H I don't see a problem punting a category but Roto is much tougher to win getting only 1 point in any stat. I'd say don't go with that strategy in roto. Get some closers. And in a 13 team league closers are even more valuable cause there's one more team to take from the pile. Of course there are always closers that end up coming out of nowhere and having good seasons too. So my advice would be to not punt a stat but also don't go grabbing up closers before they should be grabbed. I mean if Smoltz or Rivera is there in the 4th round go for it but don't reach for them. There are plenty of closers that can be had later in the draft, Nathan, Kolb, Nen, Izzy, Julio, Biddle Borowski, etc... Of course most of these type of guys don't have for sure jobs so they are more risky. But you don't win FBB without taking risks.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:38 pm

You also have to consider that your friend is going to get an extra 2-3 starts a week. This translates into dominating ip, and significantly helping both w and k. By punting 1 cat he could be winning 3 cats for himself. I wouldn't punt saves completely, but an extra start or two a week would be very nice with those scoring catagories.

This is assuming there's no ip limit, of course.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:17 pm

Well that would be nice. But there usually is an inning limit to deal with. Thats why I say don't do it in roto and think about it for H2H. Cause h2h doesn't have inning limits.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby icemansa1 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:22 pm

Just an FYI, there is no inning limit. Still, I am not sure this is the way to go. You finish with 1 point in Saves, Dominate Innings. Do well in K's, but if your pitchers struggle, you might get killed in ERA and WHIP, right? Closers generally contribute to lowering your ERA and WHIP.

Thoughts?
icemansa1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby frog99 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:26 pm

closers are helping in 2 catigories in this case. most closers have very good BAA, so i probably wouldn't punt svaes just for a guy like contreras who is going to drag down ERA, and whip.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:36 pm

With innings as a stat, and most of the cats focused around SP's, I really hope you have a transactions limit, or people will be churning pitchers like crazy.

I think that you should wait to get closers until guys like Julio, Chacon, and Graves are around. That way you aren't losing much for your SP's, but you still have at least some saves. So target the guys who might have a bad ERA/WHIP but will still get you the saves. With so many IP flying around, the small amount of ER's that your closers give up won't matter as much.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jbuk » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:36 pm

I agree with you , iceman, having 7 starters will hurt him in 4 categories (S,BAA,ERA,WHIP) and help him in 3. Even the mid teir closers do much better in the ratio cats than guys who are 4th - 7th starters like Contreras
jbuk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers