Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters?

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:33 am

Derek Norris of Washington, Jason Castro of Houston and Wil Myers of Kansas City are also great catching prospects, probably better than Skipworth imo.There's also Avila, Marson and Tyler Flowers who I don't think got mentioned yet.

my personal top 10 catchers

1-Posey
2-Santana
3-Montero (probably a DH)
4-Norris
5-Conger
6-Castro
7-Flowers
8-Sanchez
9-D'Arnaud
10-Myers

Marson is especially worth mentioning as he will be the Indians starting catcher until Sanatna is ready.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:39 pm

Freebird27 wrote:Clement is no longer a prospect...200+ MLB AB's

Well, he was June 3rd during last season when that was posted and Clement is projected to be starting 1B while having C eligibility for the 2010 season.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby BoBtheMule » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:31 pm

top five catchers for me...
Santana
Posey
Montero
Norris
Flowers

I believe Montero is the best hitter but I don't believe he ends up catching beyond his first, maybe second year. If you were to tell me he'll catch his first five years... I'd put him at the top of the list.
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:34 pm

Santana and Posey are the two of the best who have the best chance of playing this year. Montero is probably the best long term with Posey and Santana right behind him. So if you are looking for this year go with Santana or Posey. If you can wait another year, Montero has a chance to be a top power hitter. Many people don't think he can stay at C but I think the Yankees will do everything they can to keep him there.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 301)

Postby kab21 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:33 pm

MaudDib wrote:Santana and Posey are the two of the best who have the best chance of playing this year. Montero is probably the best long term with Posey and Santana right behind him. So if you are looking for this year go with Santana or Posey. If you can wait another year, Montero has a chance to be a top power hitter. Many people don't think he can stay at C but I think the Yankees will do everything they can to keep him there.

Personally I can see the Yankees splitting the C/DH'ing duties between Posada and Montero until Posada retires. Almost a best case scenario since Montero will be catcher eligible but playing almost everyday and at a less demanding position. 5 yrs from now I have no idea if Montero will be a catcher (he's huge) but early I think so.

I also think Posey is going to get screwed with a little this year with Bengie in SF. I can see them waiting to call him up until closer to midseason and only playing him half time.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 158)

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:25 pm

I think given the Yankees slew of other catching prospects (Romine, Murphy, Sanchez) Montero's future as a catcher looks bleak. Definitly destined to be a DH.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:48 am

I wouldn't be completely surprised if he ended up playing somewhere like LF. He's not slow and doesn't have a bad body. 1B is blocked and having a young full-time DH doesn't sound like a great idea.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaSh 1s » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:15 pm

I am personally hoping for RF for Jesus.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RDD15 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:04 am

The presence of Austin Romine is the one thing that makes me doubt Montero sticking at catcher the most.

I dont think that you would see a situation where Montero winds up as an everyday DH that catches occasionally for a couple of reasons.

1. If Montero is DH'ing, then the Yankees would still have to carry a backup catcher in case the starting catcher is injured in a game that Montero is DHing. That backup catcher would almost certainly be vastly superior to Montero defensively, and on days that the starter needs rest, they would probably go with the guy that is better defensively.

2. If Montero's defense is already questionable, it is only going to deteriorate if he is an everyday DH that catches on occasion. It makes no sense for the Yanks to put him in the lineup at catcher once a week and watch him try to work the rust off in games.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:34 pm

RDD15 wrote:The presence of Austin Romine is the one thing that makes me doubt Montero sticking at catcher the most.

I dont think that you would see a situation where Montero winds up as an everyday DH that catches occasionally for a couple of reasons.

1. If Montero is DH'ing, then the Yankees would still have to carry a backup catcher in case the starting catcher is injured in a game that Montero is DHing. That backup catcher would almost certainly be vastly superior to Montero defensively, and on days that the starter needs rest, they would probably go with the guy that is better defensively.

2. If Montero's defense is already questionable, it is only going to deteriorate if he is an everyday DH that catches on occasion. It makes no sense for the Yanks to put him in the lineup at catcher once a week and watch him try to work the rust off in games.

romine is a nice prospect but there really isn't a lot of offensive upside. If Montero develops into that .900+ OPS bat and his defense is tolerable they'll keep him at catcher at least 50% of the time and worry about Romine later. Personally I see a 50/50 split with Posada and Montero at catcher as long as Posada is with the team.

Montero is 20. If you think Montero's defense can only deteriorate then I have no idea how any prospect improves (playing only 50% of the time at catcher will not be detrimental to his catching skills). I doubt that Montero is still a catcher at 30 but if he can play there for 5 years that has huge value as a fantasy prospect. Especially considering that he'll be DH'ing on his non-catching days and in the lineup almost everyday.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 158)

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball