Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters?

Postby warner892001 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:20 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Top catching prospects in the minors/draftees...

Bryan Anderson (Stl - C)
Jesus Montero (NYY - C)
Buster Posey (SF - C)
Carlos Santana (Cle - C)
Jeff Clement (Sea - C)
Kyle Skipworth (Fla - C)
Jason Castro (Hou - C)
J.P. Arencibia (Tor - C)
Devin Mesaroco (Cin - C)
Hank Conger (LAA - C)
Mitch Canham (SD - C)
Tony Sanchez (Boston College - C)
Josh Phegley (Indiana - C)

Under used MLB catchers...
Miguel Montero (Ari- C)
Jeff Mathis (LAA - C)
George Kottaras (Bos - C)
Taylor Teagarden (Tex - C)
Lou Marson (Phi - C)
Angel Salome (Mil - C)
J.R. Towles (Hou - C)

The catching depth looks very strong for the next 5 - 7 years.



out of that list of catchers at the top (the rookies) who would ur top 5 be?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 265
Joined: 20 May 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters?

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:44 pm

warner892001 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Top catching prospects in the minors/draftees...

Bryan Anderson (Stl - C)
Jesus Montero (NYY - C)
Buster Posey (SF - C)
Carlos Santana (Cle - C)
Jeff Clement (Sea - C)
Kyle Skipworth (Fla - C)
Jason Castro (Hou - C)
J.P. Arencibia (Tor - C)
Devin Mesaroco (Cin - C)
Hank Conger (LAA - C)
Mitch Canham (SD - C)
Tony Sanchez (Boston College - C)
Josh Phegley (Indiana - C)

Under used MLB catchers...
Miguel Montero (Ari- C)
Jeff Mathis (LAA - C)
George Kottaras (Bos - C)
Taylor Teagarden (Tex - C)
Lou Marson (Phi - C)
Angel Salome (Mil - C)
J.R. Towles (Hou - C)

The catching depth looks very strong for the next 5 - 7 years.



out of that list of catchers at the top (the rookies) who would ur top 5 be?


Posey
J. Montero
Clement
Sanchez
Skipworth

I think Posey is #1 but its a tough ranking imo since a lot depends on if they can stay at the position, who is in front of them, etc.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8518
(Past Year: 122)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters?

Postby warner892001 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:48 pm

how soon do you see those 5 coming up?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 265
Joined: 20 May 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters?

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:52 pm

warner892001 wrote:how soon do you see those 5 coming up?


Just Posey, JP, and maybe Santana imo

viewtopic.php?t=371139
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8518
(Past Year: 122)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters?

Postby Steve-o » Fri May 29, 2009 5:40 pm

If you are looking for someone to make an immediate impact, you might want to take a flier on JP Arencibia. Good bat who could get called up on a pretty good offensive team. He is 23.5 and playing in AAA right now. His numbers are solid but not spectacular. Only issues is that Barajas has been hitting the ball pretty well right now.

JP falls within my top 50 overall prospects, and is my number 5 overall catching prospect (Wieters, Posey, Santana, Montero)
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1879
Joined: 7 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Finally back home. A sweet 15 mi from Miller Park.

Re: Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters?

Postby FouLLine » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:43 pm

bigoz89 wrote:Who is it? Is there anyone else out there worth picking up as a catching prospect or is there no one really out there currently?


I see a lot of people saying Posey. Yes Posey is probably the next best prospect.

But a deeper one that I haven't seen listed on this board is Brett Lawrie. There are so many things to love about this kid. First off The Brewers drafted him. The Brewers have developed some amazing talent over the past few years. Secondly athletics runs in his family. His sister Daniel Lawrie was named the NCAA women's softball player of the year. He is a great athlete known for really good speed as you can see by his 11 SBs so far in the minors.

His athleticism may actually hurt him ironically enough. He has been playing a lot of 2B this year. I have also read that he can play at 3B. He was drafted as a catcher but he may make a permanent conversion to the 2nd weakest fantasy position 2B.
FouLLine
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 59
Joined: 19 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters?

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:22 pm

FouLLine wrote:But a deeper one that I haven't seen listed on this board is Brett Lawrie. There are so many things to love about this kid. First off The Brewers drafted him. The Brewers have developed some amazing talent over the past few years. Secondly athletics runs in his family. His sister Daniel Lawrie was named the NCAA women's softball player of the year. He is a great athlete known for really good speed as you can see by his 11 SBs so far in the minors.

His athleticism may actually hurt him ironically enough. He has been playing a lot of 2B this year. I have also read that he can play at 3B. He was drafted as a catcher but he may make a permanent conversion to the 2nd weakest fantasy position 2B.


Yeah, Lawrie really shouldn't be considered a catcher at this point. I'd bet a bottle of Westveleteren 12 that he catches less than 2 games in his MLB career.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1879
Joined: 7 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Finally back home. A sweet 15 mi from Miller Park.

Re: Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters?

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:15 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Posey
J. Montero
Clement
Sanchez
Skipworth

I think Posey is #1 but its a tough ranking imo since a lot depends on if they can stay at the position, who is in front of them, etc.


I don't think Clement will be a C unless there's another organization that thinks he can stick and makes a move for him. The M's seem like they're done with him behind the plate. He'll hit, but it may be as a DH or 1B.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Re: Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters?

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:44 pm

FouLLine wrote:His athleticism may actually hurt him ironically enough. He has been playing a lot of 2B this year. I have also read that he can play at 3B. He was drafted as a catcher but he may make a permanent conversion to the 2nd weakest fantasy position 2B.


Well the Brewers have moved him to 2B, he hasn't caught any this year and I doubt he will be returning to catcher.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6107
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

Re: Best catching prospect NOT named Wieters?

Postby Freebird27 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:46 am

Clement is no longer a prospect...200+ MLB AB's

Posey
Montero
Santana
Image
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 873
Joined: 28 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: San Diego, CA

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact