Keeper League Setup - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper League Setup

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League Setup

Postby TheRaysAllDay » Thu May 28, 2009 10:14 am

Me friends and I have had a fantasy league for 6 years now. And we just now decided to turn it into a keeper league. Basically just need some advice on a basic setup.
Its a 12 team league. We currently have 21 players on each roster.
We were thinking about 5 keepers per team. But the biggest question is what does each player cost each manager? We don't auction we live draft. So it seems a little tricky. Say I drafted Longoria in the 2nd round this year and keep him next year. Do I lose my 2nd round pick? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
TheRaysAllDay
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Setup

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Fri May 29, 2009 1:09 am

TheRaysAllDay wrote:Me friends and I have had a fantasy league for 6 years now. And we just now decided to turn it into a keeper league. Basically just need some advice on a basic setup.
Its a 12 team league. We currently have 21 players on each roster.
We were thinking about 5 keepers per team. But the biggest question is what does each player cost each manager? We don't auction we live draft. So it seems a little tricky. Say I drafted Longoria in the 2nd round this year and keep him next year. Do I lose my 2nd round pick? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

First, I would never start a keeper with existing rosters. So many decisions change that I would start fresh with next years draft.

That said, there are 3 main ways to do a live draft w/ keepers (and a million little variations.)

1. Straight draft. You keep your five, as done everyone else. Then draft the remaining players as if it was a redraft. So in reality you are taking your 6th player in the first round, and everyone has the same pick in each round. This is by far the easiest way, as it requires no tracking from year to year.

2. Replacement level draft. You keep up to 5, and lose the pick where you took them originally. So you may lose picks 1, 4,5, 8,22 and someone else may lose 2, 3,4,5,6. This draft is harder to manage, and it slanted toward keeping 2nd tier guys, since they cost a whole lost less.

3. Replacement level With Penalty. My fav. you Keep the guy at the round you took him originally, with some restrictions. This can be done one of two ways, either cap the number of years someone is a keeper (if you took Pujols with the 12th round 5 years ago you cant just keep him forever) or institute a multi-year penalty. My approach has always been 3 rounds. So the first year you can keep a guy at the level you drafted him at. The next year it will cost you that round-3 (so last years 9th becomes this years 6th and next years 3rd) This also keeps the top players in the pool because you cant keep anyone at a 3rd round value or higher and no one is locked in more then 5-6 years. Also set a mid to create a round value for free agent pickups.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Setup

Postby shawngee03 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:46 pm

agree that you should start it w a new draft next year, then keep the following years

the way we handle it isnt teh best way...but its fairly easy and rewards people who have good players

you can keep up to 5. i never liked telling a team they had to keep a certain number...bc if i only have 4 keepable players im screwed. and you start drafting teh first round you dont have a keeper

so you can choose to keep 5, or choose to keep 0 and start drafting the non kept players in round 1

and its snake, with the first round going by some sites rankings and which team has the next highest ranked player...so next year the guy w pujo has the first pick spot
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner