Pierre!!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Pierre!!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pierre!!!!!

Postby Cards07Champs » Fri May 29, 2009 11:26 am

So I'm the only one that wouldn't be surprised to see Loney lose time?

He's not really progressing much, if at all. I could see them putting Ethier at 1b and leaving Pierre/Furcal at the top of the order. That'd be a pretty dangerous pairing, especially with Manny back.

Then again, I've never been a Loney fan, so I may just be projecting.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 165
Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pierre!!!!!

Postby mac-unit » Fri May 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Cards07Champs wrote:So I'm the only one that wouldn't be surprised to see Loney lose time?

He's not really progressing much, if at all. I could see them putting Ethier at 1b and leaving Pierre/Furcal at the top of the order. That'd be a pretty dangerous pairing, especially with Manny back.

Then again, I've never been a Loney fan, so I may just be projecting.


Loney is batting .298 with 36 RBI, I'm not sure what more you want from him. And Either has never played first so I doubt Torre would want to put him there. 1b is not a spot you can hide someone defensively.
Image
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1059
(Past Year: 114)
Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Jersey

Re: Pierre!!!!!

Postby wildbill » Fri May 29, 2009 3:41 pm

mac-unit wrote:
Cards07Champs wrote:So I'm the only one that wouldn't be surprised to see Loney lose time?

He's not really progressing much, if at all. I could see them putting Ethier at 1b and leaving Pierre/Furcal at the top of the order. That'd be a pretty dangerous pairing, especially with Manny back.

Then again, I've never been a Loney fan, so I may just be projecting.


Loney is batting .298 with 36 RBI, I'm not sure what more you want from him. And Either has never played first so I doubt Torre would want to put him there. 1b is not a spot you can hide someone defensively.

Yeah if he's knocking in plenty of runs why would the Dodgers care if he's hitting HR or not, they aren't playing by fantasy rules. A players value in the real world and in fantasy don't have to be equal, they don't even have to be close.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 838
Joined: 7 Jun 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pierre!!!!!

Postby Cards07Champs » Fri May 29, 2009 5:03 pm

mac-unit wrote:
Cards07Champs wrote:So I'm the only one that wouldn't be surprised to see Loney lose time?

He's not really progressing much, if at all. I could see them putting Ethier at 1b and leaving Pierre/Furcal at the top of the order. That'd be a pretty dangerous pairing, especially with Manny back.

Then again, I've never been a Loney fan, so I may just be projecting.


Loney is batting .298 with 36 RBI, I'm not sure what more you want from him. And Either has never played first so I doubt Torre would want to put him there. 1b is not a spot you can hide someone defensively.


My thinking being that RBI are largely team dependant and I can't imagine the Dodgers are happy getting a sub .750 OPS from 1b, not when that OPS doesn't at least bring speed with it.

I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger, but I'm not sure the Dodgers are pleased with the relatively flat progress made by Loney either.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 165
Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pierre!!!!!

Postby wildbill » Fri May 29, 2009 6:36 pm

Cards07Champs wrote:My thinking being that RBI are largely team dependant and I can't imagine the Dodgers are happy getting a sub .750 OPS from 1b, not when that OPS doesn't at least bring speed with it.

I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger, but I'm not sure the Dodgers are pleased with the relatively flat progress made by Loney either.

Well the other factor is the Dodgers are running away and hiding in the west, so there's no much incentive to shake things up at this point. If the Dodgers do in fact even entertain the though of doing what you're thinking I'd probably be more like a 3 man platoon where Ethier would spend some time at 1B, some time in the OF and some time on the bench. Another factor though is defense. How good of a defender is Looney at 1B? Does Ethier have any experience there? If not would his likely weaker defense make up for a little extra offense? My point isd you're being a little narrow minded and not considering everything in the situation. Sure it might make sense in fantasy, but there's a lot more to consider then 1 or 2 stats in the real world. Maybe all things considered it'd still make sense, maybe not, I don't know, but its food for thought.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 838
Joined: 7 Jun 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pierre!!!!!

Postby tah161 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Dodgers are winning and Loney is playing solid.

He may not mash the cover off the ball but he hits enough and plays gold glove defense.
tah161
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 555
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pierre!!!!!

Postby djxskillz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:21 am

pretty sure pierre goes back to the bench. he will play when one of the outfielders needs a rest. bad news for kemp and ethier if they have to sit once a week..
djxskillz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 791
Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pierre!!!!!

Postby superslugger616 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:04 pm

Back to the bench:
Juan Pierre will head back to the bench when Manny Ramirez returns from his 50-game suspension, confirmed Joe Torre.
"Yeah, I really didn't consider any other option," Torre said, adding that Pierre will play about twice a week while giving one of the three regular outfielders a rest. Pierre is batting .352 in 165 at-bats with an .867 OPS.
Source: Los Angeles Daily News
Image
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 446
Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pierre!!!!!

Postby thejusman1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:17 pm

If they could only teach Pierre how to play SS...
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2814
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pierre!!!!!

Postby heyeaglefn » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:55 am

Looks like this is the week I drop Pierre.

Thanks for the good run, I guess I can get 4 more good days out of you!
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 183
Joined: 13 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Apr. 18
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(2:20 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Miami at Miami
(7:08 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Seattle
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact