Pierre!!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Pierre!!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pierre!!!!!

Postby plainyogurt » Thu May 28, 2009 9:29 am

Batting over 400..9 sb's. 24 runs and 20 RbI's in 114 at bats..

To me the RBI's are a bonus..What is LA going to do with this guy once manny comes back??I really doubt it Kemp and Ethier are gonna lose time..

Unless manny gets suspended again, will pierre be on the bench??

It will be wise to keep him at least to the trade deadline...

What will happen to him???

White sox could use a leadoff hitter..any suitors out there??This guy cant go back to the bench...
plainyogurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pierre!!!!!

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu May 28, 2009 2:11 pm

A trade is really the only option. Pierre's terrible defense is what kept him out of Torre's plans to start the year...given the type of defense Manny plays (none at all) the Dodgers really can't afford to have both him and Manny out there. And I agree, no way Kemp loses time and it's unlikely that Ethier would either.

Someone will want his bat. I expect a trade to happen.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby wildbill » Thu May 28, 2009 2:16 pm

Actually I read something the other day, which was pure speculation by the person who wrote the article, that Ethier could see time riding the pine. I forget exactly why, but I think it said Ethier's performance has been sub-par so far. I haven't looked myself so I'm not sure if there's truth in that. Also, I still doesn't see Pierre getting traded unless someone eats a rather healthy portion of his contract or the Dodgers are willing to just give him away for a bucket of baseballs.

Of course that's still more then a month away, more then enough time for Pierre to go back to being Slappy McPopup.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu May 28, 2009 2:20 pm

wildbill wrote:Actually I read something the other day, which was pure speculation by the person who wrote the article, that Ethier could see time riding the pine. I forget exactly why, but I think it said Ethier's performance has been sub-par so far. I haven't looked myself so I'm not sure if there's truth in that. Also, I still doesn't see Pierre getting traded unless someone eats a rather healthy portion of his contract or the Dodgers are willing to just give him away for a bucket of baseballs.

Ethier was doing quite well until the Manny incident. In Manny's absence, Ethier has been terrible at the plate. Ethier is just such a good young hitter I don't see him spending much time on the bench. Unless he continues to struggle after Manny comes back, I just don't see him losing much time.

I really don't see why the Dodgers wouldn't pursue a trade as aggressively as possible. They have to be thrilled with the way Pierre's trade value in rising right now.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby soty » Thu May 28, 2009 3:53 pm

Man you scared me. I saw Pierre!!! in the injury and player updates and I thought he got hurt. :-o :-°
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby wildbill » Thu May 28, 2009 4:24 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:I really don't see why the Dodgers wouldn't pursue a trade as aggressively as possible. They have to be thrilled with the way Pierre's trade value in rising right now.

Oh I'm sure they will, but unlike fantasy owners, in the real world not a lot of GMs are going to look at a couple weeks production and say ok I'll take that massive contract you have on Pierre and give you a good player or 2 in return. He may have improved his trade value, but to trade him I still think the Dodgers would 1) have to pretty much give him away or 2) eat a large part of his contract (I'm thinking at least 60-75%) if they want any players with a chance to make the majors back in return. Also I don't think a non-contender would take him at that point (July) in the season. Maybe the Mets if Reyes injury becomes a real big problem and they need a leadoff hitter, but who sits in their OF? Yankees, probably not. Red Sox, I don't think so. Phillies? Nope. Braves? Maybe if LA eats most of the salary. I'm less sure about the needs in the AL/NL Central and AL West.

Like I said they can try to trade him all they want, but I still think it will be a tough sell given his contract. They couldn't do it in the offseason when presumably more teams thought they had a chance to contend. He stole 40 bases last year playing part time, so I don't see how his real world trade value is too much higher then it was then.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mac-unit » Thu May 28, 2009 4:50 pm

He doesn't have much trade value since other GMs know the Dodgers will have to bench him once Manny comes back so why would they give a good player/prospect for him.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu May 28, 2009 6:14 pm

wildbill wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:I really don't see why the Dodgers wouldn't pursue a trade as aggressively as possible. They have to be thrilled with the way Pierre's trade value in rising right now.

Oh I'm sure they will, but unlike fantasy owners, in the real world not a lot of GMs are going to look at a couple weeks production and say ok I'll take that massive contract you have on Pierre and give you a good player or 2 in return. He may have improved his trade value, but to trade him I still think the Dodgers would 1) have to pretty much give him away or 2) eat a large part of his contract (I'm thinking at least 60-75%) if they want any players with a chance to make the majors back in return.

After looking at his contract, I agree that's probably true. So you expect Pierre to lose playing time when Manny gets back and thus his fantasy relevancy?
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby plainyogurt » Thu May 28, 2009 8:43 pm

he had 40 sbs last year, and didnt play full time..Interested in seeing what happens...
plainyogurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fbc_fan » Thu May 28, 2009 11:23 pm

wildbill wrote:

Oh I'm sure they will, but unlike fantasy owners, in the real world not a lot of GMs are going to look at a couple weeks production and say ok I'll take that massive contract you have on Pierre and give you a good player or 2 in return. He may have improved his trade value, but to trade him I still think the Dodgers would 1) have to pretty much give him away or 2) eat a large part of his contract (I'm thinking at least 60-75%) if they want any players with a chance to make the majors back in return. Also I don't think a non-contender would take him at that point (July) in the season. Maybe the Mets if Reyes injury becomes a real big problem and they need a leadoff hitter, but who sits in their OF? Yankees, probably not. Red Sox, I don't think so. Phillies? Nope. Braves? Maybe if LA eats most of the salary. I'm less sure about the needs in the AL/NL Central and AL West.

Like I said they can try to trade him all they want, but I still think it will be a tough sell given his contract. They couldn't do it in the offseason when presumably more teams thought they had a chance to contend. He stole 40 bases last year playing part time, so I don't see how his real world trade value is too much higher then it was then.

cws might be a decent match. they have nothing going in center and have some money. kenny williams has never been shy about making a trade.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates