Peavy...ankle? say what? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Peavy...ankle? say what?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Peavy...ankle? say what?

Postby Trebor » Thu May 28, 2009 7:22 am

only place i can find this is yahoo...news link next to his name in fantasy

"RHP Jake Peavy expects to start on schedule next Monday or Tuesday despite having tendon inflammation behind the bone on the inside of his right ankle."

his start yesterday was first time in a long while he didnt put up a QS....wonder if the ankle has to do with that? thats his push off ankle... :-o
Trebor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Peavy...ankle? say what?

Postby AdvRider » Thu May 28, 2009 11:54 am

Turned his ankle running the bases in previous start ... :-{

Peavy pitches through ankle tendinitis

By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com
05/28/09 2:45 AM ET
PHOENIX -- As it turned out on Wednesday night, Padres starter Jake Peavy pitched with a tad of tendinitis in his right ankle that seemed to nag him as he worked deeper into the game, an 8-5 San Diego victory over Arizona at Chase Field.

Peavy said the injury was a result of turning his ankle while rounding third base to score during the fifth inning of his previous start, a 4-0 win over the Cubs on Friday. Peavy said he doesn't expect to miss his next start, either Monday or Tuesday night at home against the Phillies.

"It's just bruised up a bit in the back of my ankle," Peavy said after winning his third straight start to even his record at 5-5. "It's just a little bit of an ankle sprain, but you just have to work your way through it. It was good enough to go tonight. The boys picked me up. I'll be ready to go Monday or Tuesday against Philadelphia."
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 19)

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:11 pm

man i dont like the sound of that :-o , i just got this guy in a trade to solidify my pitching staff. lets hope :,-(
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu May 28, 2009 2:13 pm

I wouldn't be terribly concerned about this. It sounds mild and like something that a professional athlete could overcome relatively quickly.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby pangbones » Thu May 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Let's hope it doesn't turn into something more. I too just got him in a trade, and was disappointed with his first start!! Although, by looking at the play by play, it looks like he pitched better than the line suggests.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby hett2333 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:45 pm

pangbones wrote:Let's hope it doesn't turn into something more. I too just got him in a trade, and was disappointed with his first start!! Although, by looking at the play by play, it looks like he pitched better than the line suggests.

I hope it turns into gout and his ankle falls of...that's what you get for turning down the White Sox!
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Montana168 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:06 pm

that's what you get for turning down the White Sox!

why would he want to go to Chicago? he is a flyball pitcher and would probably not have the success in the hitter-friendly park of the white sox that he has had in the spacious petco park. he also would be facing DH's instead of a pitcher in the 9 hole...plus he has said he loves to hit. also he would be moving his family from to California to Illinois. ALSO the white sox are not one piece away from winning a world series ring. makes zero sense for peavy to go to an AL team unless its the red sox, yankees, or angels. could probably even cross the yanks off the list too with the way flyballs fly out of there. just my two cents.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trebor » Thu May 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Montana168 wrote:

why would he want to go to Chicago? he is a flyball pitcher and would probably not have the success in the hitter-friendly park of the white sox that he has had in the spacious petco park. he also would be facing DH's instead of a pitcher in the 9 hole...plus he has said he loves to hit. also he would be moving his family from to California to Illinois. ALSO the white sox are not one piece away from winning a world series ring. makes zero sense for peavy to go to an AL team unless its the red sox, yankees, or angels. could probably even cross the yanks off the list too with the way flyballs fly out of there. just my two cents.

gotta agree with this here....going to the ChiSox makes zippy sense...esp when Jakey loves to bat as much as he does.
Trebor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hett2333 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Trebor wrote:
Montana168 wrote:

gotta agree with this here....going to the ChiSox makes zippy sense...esp when Jakey loves to bat as much as he does.

Well he wanted to go to the Cubs which is Illinois and I don't think they're in a better position to win anything...I agree he would not be as dominate pitching at the cell, but it definately would of solidified their staff (in fact I think they would have had the best staff in the central). The AL central is up for grabs, and once you make the post season anything can happen. It just comes down to who's hot going into the post season. Saying he loves to hit by the way is just an excuse...it isn't like he's a good hitting pitcher, nobody likes hitting at a .170 career avg. Bottom line he'll be 30 when his contract expires which means he has one big pay day left. Staying in the national league makes him more money, period...
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby IronBird » Thu May 28, 2009 9:55 pm

hett2333 wrote:

Well he wanted to go to the Cubs which is Illinois and I don't think they're in a better position to win anything...I agree he would not be as dominate pitching at the cell, but it definately would of solidified their staff (in fact I think they would have had the best staff in the central). The AL central is up for grabs, and once you make the post season anything can happen. It just comes down to who's hot going into the post season. Saying he loves to hit by the way is just an excuse...it isn't like he's a good hitting pitcher, nobody likes hitting at a .170 career avg. Bottom line he'll be 30 when his contract expires which means he has one big pay day left. Staying in the national league makes him more money, period...

QFT ;-D

I believe (in my own mind) that he's holding out for ATL or Houston.
"Don't worry, the fans don't start booing until July."

- Earl Weaver
IronBird
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates