Carlos Lee for A Hill vetoable? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Carlos Lee for A Hill vetoable?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos Lee for A Hill vetoable?

Postby doof » Wed May 27, 2009 10:09 pm

Hey all,

Standard 12 team Rotisserie

My team:

C: Wieters 1B: Dunn 2B: XXXX 3B: Longoria SS: A Cabrera
OF: Sizemore Ibanez BJ Upton U: Granderson B: Carlos Lee Molina

SP: Hamels Lester Volstad Scherzer Price Porcello
RP: Rivera Morrow Aardsma Bailey Soriano

I have tried to trade for all of the top 2B or SS (I could switch Cabrera). Finally, the only guy who has the depth to trade has accepted Carlos Lee for Hill. I am 3rd in HR and leading RBI. I have an empty 2B slot since Weeks went down and the waiver wire is no help. My team is far worse off having an empty 2B and Lee sitting on the bench.

This trade has been vetoed twice in a public league by the manager in #1 spot sending notes to all the other managers. He just copied me on his last note by mistake:

"Apparently this guy doesn't get it. Trading a big name player having an average year is very unfair against a no name player starting out having his career year. This trade is very unfair when looking at projected stats. Please VETO."

Who is right in this instance?
doof
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Carlos Lee for A Hill vetoable?

Postby RDD15 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:28 pm

Not a vetoable trade, and in my book, not acceptable for a manager to campaign for veto votes.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Torr » Thu May 28, 2009 8:49 am

Not a vetoable trade at all, because "big names" mean nothing once the season starts. I actually overpaid for Carlos Lee this year in a trade, so it's not like I don't know his intrinsic value. But even if it was worthy of a veto, no one in your league should be going around campaigning for veto votes. We have someone in our league like that, but luckily everyone knows him for what he is and ignores his emails. I would bet this same person would be emailing people to allow the trade if he was involved in it... I know the type. :-t
Torr
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby eneric » Thu May 28, 2009 9:58 am

That's bull crap man, I HATE people like that. I mean why play fantasy sports if it's just going to be their way and that's it? And to make matters worse he's the LM? I'd drop out of that league and ask for my money back.
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 28, 2009 10:36 am

RDD15 wrote:Not a vetoable trade, and in my book, not acceptable for a manager to campaign for veto votes.

this
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Thu May 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Wow that is total BS. Nothing I hate more than public leagues that over-veto trades. Unless managers suspect collusion, there is no need to veto a trade between two managers who negotiate in good faith. He has an extra 2B who is having a great year. You need a 2B so trade a big name having an off year. Win-Win. If he's going to campaign for a veto, I think your only option is to campaign against a veto. Get the other manager in the trade to help out.

Good luck.
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby doof » Thu May 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Thanks all. Frankly, it was just as I suspected.

It is guys like this that ruin public leagues.
doof
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 29, 2009 10:39 am

yeah, i'm in a Public CBS Platinum and it seems like EVERY trade has 2 objections (4 needed). i want to call the league out, but i'm afraid of my next trade getting vetoed out of douchery. i've made trades with about 1/2 the owners, so i dont know if it's the same 2 guys or different guys or what.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ABA316 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:11 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:yeah, i'm in a Public CBS Platinum and it seems like EVERY trade has 2 objections (4 needed). i want to call the league out, but i'm afraid of my next trade getting vetoed out of douchery. i've made trades with about 1/2 the owners, so i dont know if it's the same 2 guys or different guys or what.

My experience is when there's a veto-happy league it's usually the same couple of people every time. The unfortunate part in particular being that if that is the case then it usually only takes 1 or 2 more to kill a trade.

I was in a hockey league where 4 owners would always do that. I guess yeah the rest of us could have done it back to them but not how we wanted to be.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Fri May 29, 2009 1:48 pm

Depends on what you want out of a the league I guess. Someone trading Pujols for some chump kills a league more than people vetoing a few trades in my opinion so I don't generally mind when people veto. I don't want the winner of the league to be the guy who fleeced the most people with bad trade offers.

In a public league I'd think anything goes and if it is setup as league vote to pass or not pass a trade then whatever the other owners want to do is the 'right thing', is is there league too afterall. It is really only in a commissioner veto league where I would question it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner