I will never play on CBSSports again(Rant!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

I will never play on CBSSports again(Rant!)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I will never play on CBSSports again(Rant!)

Postby Ender » Wed May 27, 2009 5:23 pm

So I play in a weekly roto money league on CBSSports.com, it is my first time playing on the site. Everything has gone ok so far but last week I switched in a new MI and accidentally left him set to 2B instead of MI and then went out of town for the weekend for memorial day. I come back and find out it is an 'invalid lineup' and I won't get ANY stats counted for the entire week basically throwing any chance I have of competing out the window. The league is fine with changing it since I had a valid number of players etc but CBS says they cannot intercede in a league and change something like this

I have problems with this on so many levels. First off what kind of service lets you create in invalid lineup in the first place, I've never seen something like that. Next if it is invalid why wouldn't just the invalid players stats not count instead of the entire team. Finally even if they really want to be sticklers you'd think just the hitters wouldn't count and the pitchers would still count since they are a completely different set of players.

Ultimately it is my own fault for screwing up but I cannot see myself ever playing on a site that is so rigid as to destroy a team over one minor clerical error and not be willing to fix it even though the league says they don't mind.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I will never play on CBSSports again(Rant!)

Postby tuna411 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:24 am

As someone who does stats for a league using cbs(hit), this problem of yours is so simple to fix.

Go to your team page
just below your team is several tabs, click 'edit service time'
click the player you need
change his position for the period in question
tuna411
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ender » Thu May 28, 2009 10:26 am

Thanks for the info, apparently we are not a commissioner league and that is what caused the problem. So I'm still out of luck but good to see that this isn't something that is a universal issue for them. I still find it highly idiotic that this service allows you to create an invalid roster, I've played on 5 different sites now and this is the first one that had that flaw in their system.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigmck » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Ender wrote:Thanks for the info, apparently we are not a commissioner league and that is what caused the problem. So I'm still out of luck but good to see that this isn't something that is a universal issue for them. I still find it highly idiotic that this service allows you to create an invalid roster, I've played on 5 different sites now and this is the first one that had that flaw in their system.

This is not a flaw. You can't have 23 OF on your team. You had too many 2B so it is an illegal lineup. There is a way to turn off the illegal line up so that you will get stats even if it is illegal. If you paid $159 for the service, you are a Commish League. Here is how to correct it. Have your Commish go to SETUP, ROSTER LIMITS. Then uncheck the box that says ILLEGAL ROSTERS SCORE ZERO POINTS.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Ender » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:39 pm

It is a flaw that it allows you to create an invalid lineup in the first place though, no other service I've used has done that. It is also a flaw that they cannot step in to adjust something in a league even if the league is ok with it. If my MI slot is empty and I'm putting a 2B in the lineup it shouldn't even let me put it in as the 2B when that would be invalid I guess was my point. No other service works like that, they don't include the 2B in the drop down because it wouldn't be valid. That is programming 101.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby yearbend » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:27 am

oh well, should have taken the extra 5 seconds to check the team.

thank you very much for the sig, soty!
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=45974

^^ soty's profile page ^^
yearbend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lenny6 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:57 pm

Ender wrote:It is a flaw that it allows you to create an invalid lineup in the first place though, no other service I've used has done that. It is also a flaw that they cannot step in to adjust something in a league even if the league is ok with it. If my MI slot is empty and I'm putting a 2B in the lineup it shouldn't even let me put it in as the 2B when that would be invalid I guess was my point. No other service works like that, they don't include the 2B in the drop down because it wouldn't be valid. That is programming 101.

CBS posts a warning at the top of the site that tells you if you have 2 2B and 0 MI. Sorry this happened to you. I know what you are talking about - I use Yahoo's free site for my roto league and it won't let you put two 2B's in your lineup and only use CBS' $159 service for my weekly H2H so I can deal with these type of quirks. Making it impossible to set illegal lineups on CBS is a good suggestion, but they strike me as a bit arrogant about their product so I wouldn't hold my breath that they would change it (although it sounds like you won't be returning to them anyway).
Lenny6
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)

Return to Commissioner's Corner