What happens to Pierre when Manny comes back? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What happens to Pierre when Manny comes back?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What happens to Pierre when Manny comes back?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 28, 2009 3:18 pm

Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Maris09 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:21 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:Image

Uh ya.....it's wayyyyy too early to try and figure out if Pierre will retain his value or if Kemp/Ethier may become less valuable :-°

Good call ;-D
Last edited by Maris09 on Thu May 28, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 28, 2009 3:28 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I hope the Dodgers can finally ship off Pierre before or at the deadline for another front-of-the-rotation starter

Man you're taking some good drugs today :-S

Why not, it's still fiesta since yesterday. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 28, 2009 4:08 pm

Maris09 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:Image

Uh ya.....it's wayyyyy too early to try and figure out if Pierre will retain his value or if Kemp/Ethier may become less valuable :-°

Good call ;-D

i guess you're right...it's not like players ever go on prolonged hot/cold streaks from month to month, or players dont get injured. if you guys want to overanalyze something that's over a month away from happening, based on how the Dodgers OF is playing right now, go right ahead...but i'm not going to lose sleep over Pierre's PT from July forward right now.

i knew when i picked him up it would likely be a temporary gig, and i'll work on my contingency plan as Manny's return gets closer (or hopefully it will be made for me)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Maris09 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:16 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i guess you're right...it's not like players ever go on prolonged hot/cold streaks from month to month, or players dont get injured. if you guys want to overanalyze something that's over a month away from happening, based on how the Dodgers OF is playing right now, go right ahead...but i'm not going to lose sleep over Pierre's PT from July forward right now.

i knew when i picked him up it would likely be a temporary gig, and i'll work on my contingency plan as Manny's return gets closer (or hopefully it will be made for me)

Of course players go on hot streaks....
However, none of what you said addresses the fact that the Dodgers really don't have a leadoff man without him. So speculating on what they might do come a month from now isn't really all that much of a stretch, nor is it futile in any way.

I've gotten several trade offers for Pierre in one league and several trade offers for Kemp in another. This situation, and what the Dodgers do, has great impact on the value of these two players....and therefore dictates what I should be looking to get for them in trade.
It goes well beyond just being happy you picked up Pierre and what "your contingency plans" are for that roster spot when Manny returns.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu May 28, 2009 7:37 pm

bench matt kemp since i don't own him.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Carnac » Thu May 28, 2009 8:13 pm

Whoever said Loney has a weak bat is not paying attention. Hitting .290+ and leading the team in RBI with 36. Weak? lol

Pierre will get some time, but will probably only play 3 or 4 times a week, when Manny gets back. Ethier has been slumping. But, the dynamic of the team changes with Manny in the middle of the order. Either Hudson or Furcal will lead off when Pierre isn't in the lineup. Ethier was on a tear at the end of last year with Manny in the lineup and again this year. Don't count on Pierre playing every day. Torre hasn't come out and said it, but has hinted at as much.

Good luck to anyone that owns him, but be prepared for less PT.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:39 pm

Carnac wrote:Whoever said Loney has a weak bat is not paying attention. Hitting .290+ and leading the team in RBI with 36. Weak? lol

Pierre will get some time, but will probably only play 3 or 4 times a week, when Manny gets back. Ethier has been slumping. But, the dynamic of the team changes with Manny in the middle of the order. Either Hudson or Furcal will lead off when Pierre isn't in the lineup. Ethier was on a tear at the end of last year with Manny in the lineup and again this year. Don't count on Pierre playing every day. Torre hasn't come out and said it, but has hinted at as much.

Spoken like a true Pierre hater. There is no way he plays only 3-4 games a week if he is still this hot when Manny comes back. Ethier/Kemp are the guys who will start to platoon if that is the case.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:58 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Carnac wrote:Whoever said Loney has a weak bat is not paying attention. Hitting .290+ and leading the team in RBI with 36. Weak? lol

Spoken like a true Pierre hater. There is no way he plays only 3-4 games a week if he is still this hot when Manny comes back. Ethier/Kemp are the guys who will start to platoon if that is the case.

Something nobody here is thinking about is defense. When Manny comes back, he's cemented in LF. That leaves CF and RF open for Pierre, Ethier, and Kemp. Pierre clearly can't play RF. Even having him and Manny in the same outfield is pretty weak when considering Pierre's arm. This means that Pierre has to prove he's way more valuable offensively than Etheir/Kemp, otherwise, Kemp plays CF and Ethier plays RF. Kemp is also such a good fielder that he's way more useful in CF defensively than RF, so one would believe that Torre would lean towards playing Kemp/Ethier/Ramirez, for defensive purposes if nothing else.

Also, while I agree with slomo that if Pierre stay hot (batting .400 right now and OPSing over 1.000), he plays nearly every day, that's not realistic at all to expect. He's going to cool off to say .300, and be the weak .700-something OPS Juan Pierre that he really is. Once this happens, he'll get his 3 starts a week ( one for Manny, and the occasional start for Kemp and Ethier (probably more Ethier; it's also possible he maybe gets some ABs against lefties if Ethier continues to struggle there). However, this still hurts the Dodgers defensively. Fantasy-wise though, I'd say Pierre still has value if he's playing 3-4 times a week in a daily league....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Carnac » Fri May 29, 2009 12:40 am

Well said, Pierre is a defensive liability and will not play in the OF with Manny except on rare occasion. That leaves Pierre the odd man out. Not a Pierre hater, just watch the Dodgers play often and know it ain't gonna happen. They are staying with the young guns and Manny.

Sorry. But, good luck.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers