The ignorance of some people. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The ignorance of some people.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The ignorance of some people.

Postby Baseballer02 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:56 am

Somebody in my friend's private league is trading away Mike Lowell(elbow) for Larry Walker(when was his last full season?) for Aubrey Huff and Dmitri Young. In other words he's trading away his 2 injured players for 2 players reaching their prime. But the guy has the nerve and call me out, saying that I am ripping this guy off by trading him Vernon Well and Jose Contreras for Vlad Guererro. He tells me Wells and Contreras are unproven. WHAT!?!?! Wells improved on all his number from 2002 last year. I hope this league doesn't turn out to be a big joke. The same guy that called me out says he's letting Schmidt go for cheap, and that he likes Renteria on my squad, rejected a Renteria/Willis for Schmidt/Reyes deal.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:40 am

A case could be made for all these trades all though I don't like them. I don't like rejecting trades other than for collusion.
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Baseballer02 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:44 am

I prefer not to veto trades also. But the fact that the guy called me out saying I was ripping someone off was insane, seeing as how I think my trade could have a better argument as to why it is fair rather than his.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:14 am

Yea some people have nerve. I think on some levels it is fair. VWells is a breakout player and many feel that if Contrares can stay healthy he will be a stud. Vlad is an elite player when healthy. Seems fair enough to me but I wouldn't trade Vlad. :-o
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Baseballer02 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:20 am

wkelly91 wrote:Yea some people have nerve. I think on some levels it is fair. VWells is a breakout player and many feel that if Contrares can stay healthy he will be a stud. Vlad is an elite player when healthy. Seems fair enough to me but I wouldn't trade Vlad. :-o

I did last year, turned out great. Right after a live draft last year I traded Vlad for Pujols and Lowell. Needless to say, I won the league.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:33 am

I did last year, turned out great. Right after a live draft last year I traded Vlad for Pujols and Lowell. Needless to say, I won the league.

What a steal....you should be locked up :-o
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:48 am

According to ESPN draft results, Lowell goes 49th and Walker goes 129th. Huff goes 55th and Young goes 144th.

Looks like a fairly even trade to me. If anything, the guy getting Lowell and Walker is the winner of the deal.

Your trade however, has Vlad (#4) being traded for Wells (#33) and Contreras (#142). This is a classic 2 for 1 trade - one good player plus one decent player for a great player. Ask 10 people here at the cafe which side wins and 9 out of 10 will say the side getting Vlad.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby polyphonic » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:54 am

count me as the 1/10 then.
serious as a heart attack
makes me feel this way
polyphonic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KULCAT » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:21 am

See? nobody here loses a league.
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Baseballer02 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:57 am

bleach168 wrote:According to ESPN draft results, Lowell goes 49th and Walker goes 129th. Huff goes 55th and Young goes 144th.

Looks like a fairly even trade to me. If anything, the guy getting Lowell and Walker is the winner of the deal.

IMO that's just stupid to go by ESPN's draft results or rankings or anything to determine a players value. You determine a player's value based on how well the player should actually play. Lowell's elbow will be bothering him most of the season, so he will probalby have a stint or two on the DL, not to mention he's in a Marlin's lineup that got worse rather than better. And Larry Walker, hell I don't think he's played a full season in about 4 years or so, and the Coors factor should up his value that much. Wells is progressively getting better, and Contreras has his sure spot in the rotation. Look at Contreras's stats from May 30th through the rest of the regular season, most of that time was when he was getting his starts.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers