Conflict of interest; commissioner's trade vetoed. NOW WHAT? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Conflict of interest; commissioner's trade vetoed. NOW WHAT?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Conflict of interest; commissioner's trade vetoed. NOW WHAT?

Postby jahmon » Tue May 26, 2009 6:03 pm

I'm the league commish, and have been so for the past two years. It's composed of mainly family, a couple friends and some friends of friends. I had a trade accepted where I was giving up Halladay, Oswalt, and Kemp for Miguel Cabrera, B.J. Upton, and Floyd. Not that I thought I was getting the better end of the deal or not, but I was pleased with the trade since it allowed me to acquire Cabrera (the best player in the deal I think).

Anyways, I set up the league so that 4 out of 12 managers had to veto a trade for it not to go through, we've had numerous trades go through that were more lopsided than that, but for some reason this one got vetoed. The other guy in the trade was angry and posted a message on the league board that the trade was fair, it should not have been vetoed, and vetoes should only be used when collusion is obvious. I agree and while we're already trying to get the same identical trade through again, as commish I thought it was my responsibility and right to demand that those who vetoed the trade post some kind of explanation why they thought the trade should not go through. I even mentioned that posting something like "the trade is unfair" isn't acceptable, and I am threatening to force the trade through and even change to veto power to myself if this continues.

Should I suck it up, just let the trade try and go through again or am I justified in my actions? None of the vetoers has posted yet, I even sent an email telling people I want their responses by WED 8 PM since that is when the trade should have gone through. Am I being unreasonable, power hungry or just whining about a trade that got overruled when I was the one who set up league veto?

Thanks for the help, leave your link and I'll help in return.

Peace,
Jah
jahmon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Conflict of interest; commissioner's trade vetoed. NOW WHAT?

Postby schmidty » Tue May 26, 2009 6:27 pm

First off, horrible veto. One team gets 2 ace pitchers (one of whom is at least certainly top 5 in baseball) and an excellent 5-category OF. The other gets a proven stud hitter (Miggy) and a slumping maybe-stud in Upton (Floyd's value seems minor compared to the other players). I can certainly see how this helps both teams. Which is maybe why it was vetoed.

However, using your powers as commish to force the trade through seems wrong to me. In the future, maybe you change the trade approval to a higher % of managers needed to veto or strictly commish approval. But changing the rules mid-season is bad form. For now, I like the idea of both parties involved in the trade posting why they want to do this trade and try to send it again. And encourage the vetoers to post what they don't like about the trade. But demanding them to post in a way that satisfies you OR ELSE ... that seems like an abuse of commish powers, even though the cause may be just.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 27, 2009 9:15 am

i agree you cant force it though, but i dont have an issue with you guys re-proposing it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RDD15 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:17 pm

schmidty wrote:First off, horrible veto. One team gets 2 ace pitchers (one of whom is at least certainly top 5 in baseball) and an excellent 5-category OF. The other gets a proven stud hitter (Miggy) and a slumping maybe-stud in Upton (Floyd's value seems minor compared to the other players). I can certainly see how this helps both teams. Which is maybe why it was vetoed.

However, using your powers as commish to force the trade through seems wrong to me. In the future, maybe you change the trade approval to a higher % of managers needed to veto or strictly commish approval. But changing the rules mid-season is bad form. For now, I like the idea of both parties involved in the trade posting why they want to do this trade and try to send it again. And encourage the vetoers to post what they don't like about the trade. But demanding them to post in a way that satisfies you OR ELSE ... that seems like an abuse of commish powers, even though the cause may be just.

Schmidty has it right. Crap veto, but you set the rules, you have to live by them.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby yearbend » Sat May 30, 2009 9:38 pm

the trade was vetoed because people thought either it was unfair or they thought that one of you two guys would have a great team so it did not go through, if you do force it though then you would be the same as the other cheating commish that people complain about. if i were you i would ERASE the messages you left on your league message board because it sounds to me like you are abusing your powers by threatening people...i would make a similar trade, not the same exact one, and see what happens.

thank you very much for the sig, soty!
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=45974

^^ soty's profile page ^^
yearbend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner