Fernando Martinez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fernando Martinez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fernando Martinez

Postby mac-unit » Tue May 26, 2009 4:57 pm

No link just heard on WFAN right before I made this topic. The big Mets prospect is called up with Church going on the DL. He will play rightfield tonight according to WFAN.

What do you guys think his numbers could be if he can stay up for the rest of the season?
Last edited by mac-unit on Tue May 26, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fernando Martinez called up.

Postby Wright2Reyes » Tue May 26, 2009 5:56 pm

Everything I read was that the Mets didn't want to bring him up unless he would play everyday, with Beltran out until at least Friday and Church on the DL, he will get that opportunity. The question is will he stay with the club once Beltran and later Church comeback?

He has put up solid numbers while playing in AAA

.291/.337/.552/.889

22 Runs
8 HR
48 Hits
28 RBI's
2 SB
15 2B
2 3B
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mac-unit » Tue May 26, 2009 6:04 pm

Wright2Reyes wrote:Everything I read was that the Mets didn't want to bring him up unless he would play everyday, with Beltran out until at least Friday and Church on the DL, he will get that opportunity. The question is will he stay with the club once Beltran and later Church comeback?

He has put up solid numbers while playing in AAA

.291/.337/.552/.889

22 Runs
8 HR
48 Hits
28 RBI's
2 SB
15 2B
2 3B

If he does good I think they may even trade Church and give him everyday right. But Omar said he can play center too so he can play all 3 OF spots which could give him almost everyday playing time even from the bench.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby B-Chad » Tue May 26, 2009 6:12 pm

Why not change the thread title and keep it here? I am curious what the leftovers community thinks he could do the rest of the year. I am not blown away by his BB:K and think that'll get exposed a bit, but his developing power that's showing through reminds me of Adam Jones (as well as the BB:K, though he doensn't k as much as Jones did). Would it be unreasonable to think he'll follow a similar Major League path too Jones? (remembering he didn't just burst onto the scene, for those thinking I'm saying Martinez could perform like Jones today).
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mac-unit » Tue May 26, 2009 6:25 pm

B-Chad wrote:Why not change the thread title and keep it here? I am curious what the leftovers community thinks he could do the rest of the year. I am not blown away by his BB:K and think that'll get exposed a bit, but his developing power that's showing through reminds me of Adam Jones (as well as the BB:K, though he doensn't k as much as Jones did). Would it be unreasonable to think he'll follow a similar Major League path too Jones? (remembering he didn't just burst onto the scene, for those thinking I'm saying Martinez could perform like Jones today).

I changed it to just his name so it doesn't seem like a player update. But from what I've heard about him from Minaya in some articles and what he said on WFAN, he expects him to develop into a 30-10 type of player. He has the speed to steal bases but he isn't the best base stealer so he may eventually get 15 or 20 in a year. And he was really showing what kind of power he had as of late in AAA so him eventually becoming a 30 HR guy is very possible.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Fernando Martinez

Postby Ender » Tue May 26, 2009 6:39 pm

I expect him back in the minors by the end of June.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Wright2Reyes » Tue May 26, 2009 7:01 pm

Ender wrote:I expect him back in the minors by the end of June.

F-Mart is a slow starter when moved up. So that could play against him...
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby IVIisfits138 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:53 pm

The Mets are notorious for over-hyping their prospects and F-Mart's trade value is very high right now. The Mets obviously have a lot of holes right now, and I can't imagine they would be able to get anyone noteworthy without including Martinez in the deal. He could pan out and be the future of their outfield, especially since he starting to show signs that he is developing the power they had been predicting.
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:31 pm

I picked him up in one of my leagues since i'm desperate for OF help after Dukes went down.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed May 27, 2009 12:34 pm

He has a pretty impressive skill set, but he is only 20 years old, so be sure to temper your expectations. He likely will not be fantasy relevant for a few years.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Return to Baseball Leftovers