Brandon Morrow - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brandon Morrow

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Morrow

Postby LostInTheBoom » Tue May 26, 2009 9:08 am

Are there any Mariners fans out there who have the scoop on the Mariners' plans for Morrow? He's pitched multiple innings in all three of his appearances since losing the closer role and his appearances have been spread out by at least three days...is he being stretched out for a return to the starting rotation?
LostInTheBoom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brandon Morrow

Postby LostInTheBoom » Wed May 27, 2009 10:34 am

bump
LostInTheBoom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Not a mariner's fan, nor do I have any "insider" info, but I think it's pretty clear that they are giving him a hance to get himself under control before giving him another shot at the closer's role. As a Morrow, Capps and Valverde owner, I really hope he does...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby pizzaboy76 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:00 pm

Any recent news/updates on him? Ardesma seems pretty entrenched in the closer roll and it looks like Morrow is not 2nd or 3rd in line. So any rumbling from the Northwest?
pizzaboy76
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 53)

Postby woodson_28 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:11 am

Yahoo: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8002/news

Jun 9 Morrow, who pitched a season-high 2.1 innings Tuesday, has reversed course -- yet again -- and will now return to being a starting pitcher, the Seattle Times reports.

Recommendation: In a surprise move, the Mariners will send Morrow to Triple-A Tacoma to build innings. That won't happen until Roy Corcoran is ready to come off the DL (likely sometime next weekend) and replace Morrow in the bullpen. No word on what exactly changed Morrow's mind. Perhaps, after losing his closer job, the idea of life as middle reliever wasn't so attractive. In any event, this a good move for both Morrow and the Mariners. No timetable has been set for Morrow to rejoin the team, but the Mariners hope he'll be ready in the second half, which signals the team is intent on trading Erik Bedard and Jarrod Washburn.

Thoughts? What effect do you see this having on his value?
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

woodson_28 wrote:Yahoo: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8002/news

Jun 9 Morrow, who pitched a season-high 2.1 innings Tuesday, has reversed course -- yet again -- and will now return to being a starting pitcher, the Seattle Times reports.

Recommendation: In a surprise move, the Mariners will send Morrow to Triple-A Tacoma to build innings. That won't happen until Roy Corcoran is ready to come off the DL (likely sometime next weekend) and replace Morrow in the bullpen. No word on what exactly changed Morrow's mind. Perhaps, after losing his closer job, the idea of life as middle reliever wasn't so attractive. In any event, this a good move for both Morrow and the Mariners. No timetable has been set for Morrow to rejoin the team, but the Mariners hope he'll be ready in the second half, which signals the team is intent on trading Erik Bedard and Jarrod Washburn.

Thoughts? What effect do you see this having on his value?

I don't know about his value, but I'd be more worried about his head at this point...what a merry-go-round...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby mrbo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:59 pm

I was about to drop Morrow in one of my leagues when I noticed Bwanna's MLB matchup box listed next to his name for tomorrow.

Mariners: The hard-throwing right-hander unexpectedly makes his first start of the season, filling in for left-hander Erik Bedard, who was scratched because of slight inflammation in his left shoulder. Morrow, who started five games late last season, began this season as the closer, but lost the job in mid-May and had recently asked the team to re-convert him back to a starter. That was expected to occur at Triple-A Tacoma, not with the Mariners.

Link
mrbo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Zhangman1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:09 am

RHP Brandon Morrow was supposed to be sent to Triple-A Tacoma to make the conversion from reliever to starter. But after getting an emergency start Saturday when LHP Erik Bedard came up with slight shoulder stiffness, Morrow will stay with the team for the time being and will get at least one more start. In explaining the change of direction, manager Don Wakamatsu said, "A lot of times when down in the minors, it's more physical. I don't think you can emulate or substitute (for) pitching in a major league ballgame. The pitch count (Saturday) wasn't very good, but the stuff overall, I thought, is getting better and better."
(Yahoo! Sports)
Sat, Jun 13

don't know what the mariners are doing but i'm not dropping him till he gets sent down for sure.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:14 am

i don't know if i'd want someone on pitch counts that walks everyone. pass.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby LostInTheBoom » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:24 pm

Hmmmm, well my take on what the Mariners were doing with him was right (stretching him out to go back to starting) but I'm not sure how valuable he is. He has great stuff but his control is awful right now. I'd say stash him for now if you have space. That's what I'm doing...
LostInTheBoom
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates