What's up w E. Santana??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

What's up w E. Santana???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What's up w E. Santana???

Postby mtxdevil » Sun May 31, 2009 5:10 pm

He's still in his "spring training" phase I bet. His velocity on his FB is a good 4 mph or so slower than last year. Probably needs some time to get in the groove.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:02 am

I'd say he's still behind on his timing. Ervin's location just isn't quite there as he's trying to build up his arm strength. No time to be cutting bait, but I think one had to be realistic that he'll have a first few rough starts out of the gate in being cautious while trying to grow more comfortable in his delivery.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby waltny » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:56 pm

raysfan4life wrote:Man, I want to be as optimistic as anyone, but 4 IP, 7 hits, 6 ER, 1 K...against the Mariners? I'm not cutting bait yet, but....man, this is tough. Anyone have a ray of optimism? I don't have a roster spot to hang on to this guy for a month while he "finds himself"...

I agree with this statement. I might try to sell him on his leagacy of last year or drop him. I though this would be the bounce back start, how could it not be against the pee wee mariners?
waltny
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mtxdevil » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:14 pm

waltny wrote:
raysfan4life wrote:Man, I want to be as optimistic as anyone, but 4 IP, 7 hits, 6 ER, 1 K...against the Mariners? I'm not cutting bait yet, but....man, this is tough. Anyone have a ray of optimism? I don't have a roster spot to hang on to this guy for a month while he "finds himself"...

I agree with this statement. I might try to sell him on his leagacy of last year or drop him. I though this would be the bounce back start, how could it not be against the pee wee mariners?

When coming back from an injury, pitchers often need time to build their arm strength and figure things out. I'm not saying that Santana is going be great again, but it's too early to even consider dropping him.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby waltny » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:38 pm

I agree, but that is the whole purpose of the minor league starts and simulated games. It was his 4th start back after posting decent numbers his first 2 outtings. Trust me, I want to believe in this kid and am holding on for now. My problem is Im in last place after not paying much attention to my team the first 6 weeks of the season and need to get out the muck and mire now.
waltny
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby raysfan4life » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:16 am

I don't know why, but I held on to him. Thank God I did! Nice start for the "other" Santana!!!
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mtxdevil » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:21 pm

raysfan4life wrote:I don't know why, but I held on to him. Thank God I did! Nice start for the "other" Santana!!!

"You don't know why?" :-?
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby waltny » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:22 pm

Yes this last start was excellent! ;-D Lets keep it going!
waltny
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby raysfan4life » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:01 pm

mtxdevil wrote:
raysfan4life wrote:I don't know why, but I held on to him. Thank God I did! Nice start for the "other" Santana!!!

"You don't know why?" :-?

Yes - I don't know why...I understand he needed time for his rehabilitation, but I couldn't afford to hold onto him much longer if he kept on down the path he was going - roster spots are valuable also, and there are plenty of SPs out there, although maybe not as talented as Santana.

Are you saying prior to last night's start you were going to hold onto Santana through another 3 or 4 bad starts? You must have a hell of a roster to be able to afford to have a guy giving up an ER per inning on it. But I guess you knew he was going to go from a 9.00 ERA to a start with 8.2 IP and an ER.
raysfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:55 pm

raysfan4life wrote:Are you saying prior to last night's start you were going to hold onto Santana through another 3 or 4 bad starts? You must have a hell of a roster to be able to afford to have a guy giving up an ER per inning on it. But I guess you knew he was going to go from a 9.00 ERA to a start with 8.2 IP and an ER.

I definitely planned on it. He was absolutely filthy last year, and he's still basically rehabbing. You had to know he'd start to come around...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates