Brandon Phillips - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brandon Phillips

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Phillips

Postby GHirsch516 » Sun May 24, 2009 11:02 am

Reds Gold Glove 2B Brandon Phillips left Saturday's game against the Indians after taking a groundball off his right hand. The Reds were forced to shuffle their infield, and wound up playing Ramon Hernandez at third base for the first time in his career. Phillips went 2-for-4 in the game. He is questionable for the series finale with the Indians on Sunday. -cbs
GHirsch516
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brandon Phillips

Postby RenPastana » Sun May 24, 2009 11:06 am

GHirsch516 wrote:
Reds Gold Glove 2B Brandon Phillips left Saturday's game against the Indians after taking a groundball off his right hand. The Reds were forced to shuffle their infield, and wound up playing Ramon Hernandez at third base for the first time in his career. Phillips went 2-for-4 in the game. He is questionable for the series finale with the Indians on Sunday. -cbs

I also read elsewhere that he was bleeding...maybe tore up his nail...waiting on the X-ray results still
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby steela2110 » Sun May 24, 2009 1:06 pm

Any updates on philips?
steela2110
College Coach
College Coach

Postby steela2110 » Sun May 24, 2009 1:08 pm

"Brandon Phillips said X-rays found a hairline fracture in the tip of his right thumb.
The injury resulted from a groundball off his hand on Saturday. Phillips will sit out for now, but he thinks he'll be able to play through the injury for the most part. "I told them I don't want to go on the DL," Phillips said. "I feel like I can play with it." The Reds have Jerry Hairston Jr. at second base today."

Great.... this is from rotoworld
steela2110
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RenPastana » Sun May 24, 2009 1:15 pm

steela2110 wrote:"Brandon Phillips said X-rays found a hairline fracture in the tip of his right thumb.
The injury resulted from a groundball off his hand on Saturday. Phillips will sit out for now, but he thinks he'll be able to play through the injury for the most part. "I told them I don't want to go on the DL," Phillips said. "I feel like I can play with it." The Reds have Jerry Hairston Jr. at second base today."

Great.... this is from rotoworld

How big of an impact could a hairline fracture ON THE TIP OF A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE'S THUMB have on his power-stroke swing?

I could see him have a hard time fielding groundballs, but IMO the effect of such injury shouldn't take that big a toll on his overall offensive numbers...right?

Someone please tell me I am right as I'll be a Phillips owner May 27 via trade lol
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GHirsch516 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:03 pm

I would strongly tend to agree with you that this shouldnt effect Phillips performance but as far as eventually going on the DL I think its always a possibility. They dont make ball players like they used to. These days a player goes on the 15 day for sneezing incorrectly, inflamed colon, anxiety disorder you name it.
GHirsch516
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates