Ricky Nolasco to AAA - Throw good peripherals out the window - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ricky Nolasco to AAA - Throw good peripherals out the window

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ricky Nolasco to AAA - Throw good peripherals out the window

Postby B-Chad » Mon May 25, 2009 11:41 pm

Here's my take... I'm a non-owner, and didn't draft him... so take this with that in mind. I think if you have the roster flexibility he is worth keeping at the end of your bench (assuming you have a deep bench, and the flexbility). If not, he is cuttable. He was recently cut in a 12 team league I'm in, and I'd like to find a spot for him on my bench, because I already have a good rotation, and he's simply a lotto ticket at the end of my bench, I figure check his stats after 1-2 minor league starts, and if he pitches well, hope he gets called up. As others have said, your BABIP is going to be high if you are throwing trash pitches, I hadn't really given it much thought (I guess thinking logically isn't always my strong point :-B ) and simply viewed the BABIP as being a fluke and that he'd eventually turn it around. All that said, he was a guy I avoided simply because of his spike in IP and pitches thrown last year, who knows, maybe the Marlins will shelve him on the minor league DL if he struggles, and a little time off could be just what the doctor ordered for his meatballitis.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue May 26, 2009 6:08 am

I almost feel bad throwing Wakefield under the bus here, but consider this. He has nearly 60% ownership (ESPN Numbers) for an average pitcher with a crappy k/bb rate. Unless you are streaming or have to start 8-9 pitchers I see no reason why a guy like Wake would ever start for anyone. We all have guys like that (I have Joe Blanton in my big boy).

Why not take the shot that Nolasco can figure it out and come back and put up number close to last years after the AS break instead? Its the same reason folks in single year leagues own Price, Hanson, ect. Because the upside is worth more then an average bench player who never starts. I only hope Ricky gets dropped/his owner trades me on the chance he rebounds.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Tue May 26, 2009 9:43 am

You have to kind of be careful with K/9 and BB/9 with guys like this. Nolasco has 7.6 K/9 compared to 7.9 K/9, doesn't seem so different does it? However lets take another look.

In 2008 he struck out 186 of 868 hitters faced or 1 per 4.67 PA.
In 2009 he struck out 37 of 212 hitters faced or 1 per 5.73 PA.

If you take 2009's rate and appy it to 2008 he would have only struck out 151 hitters instead of 186, his strike outs are down pretty significantly. When your strike outs go down, your HR spike and your BABIP spike all at the same time it generally means you are giving them meatballs to hit. BABIP is most useful as an indicator when it changes and nothing else does in which case you pretty much just have luck/defense at work.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby JakeTrain72 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:30 pm

Ender wrote:You have to kind of be careful with K/9 and BB/9 with guys like this. Nolasco has 7.6 K/9 compared to 7.9 K/9, doesn't seem so different does it? However lets take another look.

In 2008 he struck out 186 of 868 hitters faced or 1 per 4.67 PA.
In 2009 he struck out 37 of 212 hitters faced or 1 per 5.73 PA.

If you take 2009's rate and appy it to 2008 he would have only struck out 151 hitters instead of 186, his strike outs are down pretty significantly. When your strike outs go down, your HR spike and your BABIP spike all at the same time it generally means you are giving them meatballs to hit. BABIP is most useful as an indicator when it changes and nothing else does in which case you pretty much just have luck/defense at work.

This just about sums it up perfectly. And if you watched him, you'd see it. His tuff just isn't biting and he's catching too much of the plate. He could turn it around but this doesn't seem like a quick fix. As long as he's in AAA he has little value in most leagues. I understand in deep or bench leagues holding on due to his track record, but otherwise cut bait.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nsulham » Thu May 28, 2009 7:56 am

In his first start since being sent down, Ricky Nolasco allowed three runs over eight innings for Triple-A New Orleans.

He was pitching at Las Vegas, making the outing more impressive. He gave up six hits, walked two and struck out seven in the complete-game loss. Nolasco is expected to make at least one more start before being recalled.

I had a spot open so I just grabbed Nolasco off the scrap heap. Hopefully he gets it figured out.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tommy John » Thu May 28, 2009 12:07 pm

Pitched well last night, his numbers can be found in the player updates forum.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby UMTerp29 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:34 pm

Welcome back to the circle of trust, Ricky. Two solid starts on the road against the AL East earns you spot back on the active roster.

Since his recall he's been solid - 18IP, 18k, 4BB, 2.50 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 1 hr allowed. This is especially encouraging considering he gave up 8 hr's in 43 2/3 IP before being demoted.
UMTerp29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:40 am

Watched his start against the Sox last night and he looked really good. Glad I picked him up when he was cut by another frustrated manager in my league. He had great control last night and his breaking pitches had a lot of movement on them. Two great starts back-to-back, hopefully this is a trend that will continue.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Philly_05 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:51 am

I want to see 1 or 2 more good starts before I put him back into the active. But I have to say these last two games are a great step in that direction.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 606)

Postby schmidty » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Philly_05 wrote:I want to see 1 or 2 more good starts before I put him back into the active. But I have to say these last two games are a great step in that direction.

I've seen enough ... he's back on my team ;-D If he's on your WW, I think you have to add him now. Nolasco's has been getting mainstream fbb press - like Yahoo articles that scream "Add Nolasco!!!" As mentioned in another thread, his schedule for the next month looks pretty friendly.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers