Marco Scutaro - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marco Scutaro

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Marco Scutaro

Postby fezzik » Fri May 22, 2009 11:45 pm

I'm trying to figure out if this guy is at all for real. He's at the top of the league in BBs with Dunn and Fielder. His K/BB ratio is ridiculous. He's actually been a little unlucky with a BABIP under .300. I don't expect him to keep up this sort of RBI pace and his HR total seems a bit inflated, but if he continues to get on with a .400+ OBP and that Toronto offense behind him...he'll be near the top of the league in runs scored.

I'm thinking about going after him in a 7x7 league where we have BBs as a category, so if anyone has any insight on this guy please let me/us know. If he ends up being the real thing, now is the time to try to get him IMO.

Any Toronto fans out there? mweir? You seem to always have an opinion :-D ...what do you think about this guy? I'm sure you've seen him play. ;-D

I don't typically start threads, so if this belongs in some other sub-forum go ahead and move it. It didn't involve an injury or an update, so this seemed like the best place to seek knowledge.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Marco Scutaro

Postby AussieDodger » Sat May 23, 2009 12:49 am

Sell
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby mweir145 » Sat May 23, 2009 12:51 am

Toronto's offense will fade (in fact, they have only scored 8 runs in their last 5 games), but I'm really not sure about Scutaro.

I doubt he keeps it up due to his age/career track record, but maybe he'll have a 2006 Reed Johnson-like season (look it up if you can't remember).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby fezzik » Sat May 23, 2009 1:03 am

mweir145 wrote:Toronto's offense will fade (in fact, they have only scored 8 runs in their last 5 games), but I'm really not sure about Scutaro.

I doubt he keeps it up due to his age/career track record, but maybe he'll have a 2006 Reed Johnson-like season (look it up if you can't remember).

Yeah, I looked it up since my memory of Reed Johnson's seasons isn't that great. :-)

That would be a decent season, though Johnson clearly got lucky that year and had a poor K/BB ratio. It's Scutaro's BB numbers that have really made me take a long look at him. 36 BBs compared to 20 Ks deserves some discussion IMO. But seeing how Toronto most likely won't keep putting up a ton of runs, and Scutaro's value relies heavily on his teammates driving him in, perhaps I should look for help somewhere else. It's really just this one league where I'm considering him (where BBs is a category).

I agree his history would indicate this hot start being anomalous...but I wanted more info, especially since his peripheral stats seem so solid this year.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby y2jayjk » Sat May 23, 2009 2:32 am

I had already cut Scutaro. I used him to replace Uggla...then picked up Weeks...had to cut Weeks...picked up Asdrubal Cabrera and now Uggla is back to gold, Uggla at 2B, Cabrera at SS...no use for Scutaro.
y2jayjk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mweir145 » Sat May 23, 2009 3:14 am

fezzik wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Toronto's offense will fade (in fact, they have only scored 8 runs in their last 5 games), but I'm really not sure about Scutaro.

Yeah, I looked it up since my memory of Reed Johnson's seasons isn't that great. :-)

That would be a decent season, though Johnson clearly got lucky that year and had a poor K/BB ratio. It's Scutaro's BB numbers that have really made me take a long look at him. 36 BBs compared to 20 Ks deserves some discussion IMO. But seeing how Toronto most likely won't keep putting up a ton of runs, and Scutaro's value relies heavily on his teammates driving him in, perhaps I should look for help somewhere else. It's really just this one league where I'm considering him (where BBs is a category).

I agree his history would indicate this hot start being anomalous...but I wanted more info, especially since his peripheral stats seem so solid this year.

Scutaro has always had a decent K/BB rate (he doesn't strike out often and his BB rate is quite good for a middle infielder). His weakness as a player is his lack of power, and Scutaro has already started declining in May in that area. He has a .754 OPS with no HR this month after starting with .927 and 5 HR in April.

I think his May performance is probably what you can expect going forward.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Return to Baseball Leftovers