Why Pujols and LeBron ruined sports. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Pujols and LeBron ruined sports.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why Pujols and LeBron ruined sports.

Postby RAmst23 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:59 am

MaudDib wrote:Again "ruined" was probably the wrong word. But they and others as well have helped create the expectation in fans that a player has to immediately make an impact. Instead of giving guys some time to figure things out, a player is considered a bust if he doesn't become the face of that franchise. I hear a lot of this on the sports radio as well. I am surprised in the fact that it seems I am the only one on this side. I would just like people to sit back and let guys work at their own pace and not demand perfection immediately. But once again apparently I am alone on this thought so I will end my rant and just pass my frustration on to my wife. Luck her! :-D

So.. you hate human nature? Not new, at all. There have always been some player who've come out and been fantastic immediately, some take time to develop. At the age of 21, Joe DiMaggio hit 29 HR in 138 games, than followed it up with a 46 HR season and a 2nd place MVP finish. Doc Gooden was pretty decent as a 19 year old in the bigs (2nd in CY Young race).

Your point seems to be that you think it's wrong for sports fans to want a player to produce immediately? That's one side sure, the other side is that top draft picks now demand top dollar. Strausburg is about to command an obscene amount of money from the Nationals, so you know what, yes he better produce pretty soon. I'm happy to sit back and watch a guy work in the minors, but once his clock starts in the majors yes he needs to contribute at least in some way. The sport's economy has changed to the point where some of these picks are highly paid athletes already out of college/HS.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thejusman1 » Mon May 25, 2009 12:30 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Your point seems to be that you think it's wrong for sports fans to want a player to produce immediately? That's one side sure, the other side is that top draft picks now demand top dollar. Strausburg is about to command an obscene amount of money from the Nationals, so you know what, yes he better produce pretty soon. I'm happy to sit back and watch a guy work in the minors, but once his clock starts in the majors yes he needs to contribute at least in some way. The sport's economy has changed to the point where some of these picks are highly paid athletes already out of college/HS.

+1.

Not everyone expects every prospect to immediately produce. In fact, I think you're foolish if you do. But these top prospects everybody talks about, like Strausburg, certainly need to produce if they want huge contracts. Otherwise, how could we as the fans justify spending that much money on an "unproven" prospect?
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby rainman23 » Mon May 25, 2009 1:40 pm

Basically, I think you're saying you're sick of people whining on fan sites like this one. Because the world in general isn't living and dying with the growth pattern of young players, I assure you. Yeah, you spend time enough time hanging with people who are obsessed with the numbers -- like pretty much all of us -- you're going to hear people getting overly excited about the supposed next big thing. And going on suicide watch after they go 0-for-8. That has nothing to do the priorities out there in the "real world." Or the value of the greats in any sport.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shawngee03 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:51 am

i see football getting the worst of this...with the amount they have to pay the first round guys...if they arent pro bowlers the first year they get hammered for it.

i remember the days when a QB would watch for 2-3 years before even taking a snap....now they are starting right out of the gate bc of how much they are getting paid. kind of sucks imo...as im sure some good QBs are burnt out by being thrust into the starting gig prematurily
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers