Why Pujols and LeBron ruined sports. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Pujols and LeBron ruined sports.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why Pujols and LeBron ruined sports.

Postby fezzik » Sat May 23, 2009 2:39 am

Shouldn't the title of this thread be "How Pujols and Lebron ruined sports."?

To me we can't answer the question of why until we've answered the question of how and established that sports have in fact been ruined. Of course, the point is moot if you feel, as I do, that neither Pujols nor Lebron have contributed negatively to sports.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Natural » Sat May 23, 2009 3:03 am

MaudDib wrote:Ok, I am going to rant for a bit...

I am tired of seeing people jump off a particular players band wagon if that player doesn't immediately produce in the pros. I remember not that long ago when a rookie was expected to take 2-3 years before becoming an all-star now it seems that if that player doesn't hit 35 HR and 100 RBI's or put up 30 ppg than he is a bust. In football, it is very popular to talk about not being able to judge a draft for 3 years but then pronounce that player A is a bust because as a rookie he didn't become the great player they thought he would become. I see it every where and it is driving me crazy. Why can't we give these guys a break. It took Kevin Garnett and Kobe years before they became HOFers. Same goes with Roy Halladay and Jake Peavy. The list can go a lot longer than this but you get my point. And maybe this has been going on for longer than I can remember but seems that since players like Pujols, Braun and Longoria have come in on fire, we expect all players to follow this route. Oh well, I guess that just means I can continue to cash in on guys like Joey Votto after he is labeled a bust.

I haven't read any other posts other than this one.

I don't understand what the rant is about?

I don't understand people who idolize actors/athletes/etc.

When I see the word "mancrush" used, it makes me lol, and cringe at the same time.

Since humans are playing the sports, you can't say 100% for anything.

Furcal was lighting the world on fire last year before the injury, and is not doing anything this year. He has had basically a year off.

I could go on and on about other players.

If you want an answer to your assumed post question, it would be money.

If it wasn't for money, Johan Santana and Hunter would still be with the Twins.

PS: To become a HOF, you have to have consistency and longevity.
The_Natural
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jealousblues » Sat May 23, 2009 4:02 am

for what its worth Pujols was never really considered a huge prospect.

People thought he was too fat when he was drafted too, weird huh
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby the ROC » Sat May 23, 2009 11:25 am

The_Natural wrote:
MaudDib wrote:Ok, I am going to rant for a bit...

I am tired of seeing people jump off a particular players band wagon if that player doesn't immediately produce in the pros. I remember not that long ago when a rookie was expected to take 2-3 years before becoming an all-star now it seems that if that player doesn't hit 35 HR and 100 RBI's or put up 30 ppg than he is a bust. In football, it is very popular to talk about not being able to judge a draft for 3 years but then pronounce that player A is a bust because as a rookie he didn't become the great player they thought he would become. I see it every where and it is driving me crazy. Why can't we give these guys a break. It took Kevin Garnett and Kobe years before they became HOFers. Same goes with Roy Halladay and Jake Peavy. The list can go a lot longer than this but you get my point. And maybe this has been going on for longer than I can remember but seems that since players like Pujols, Braun and Longoria have come in on fire, we expect all players to follow this route. Oh well, I guess that just means I can continue to cash in on guys like Joey Votto after he is labeled a bust.

I haven't read any other posts other than this one.

I don't understand what the rant is about?

I don't understand people who idolize actors/athletes/etc.

When I see the word "mancrush" used, it makes me lol, and cringe at the same time.

Since humans are playing the sports, you can't say 100% for anything.

Furcal was lighting the world on fire last year before the injury, and is not doing anything this year. He has had basically a year off.

I could go on and on about other players.

If you want an answer to your assumed post question, it would be money.

If it wasn't for money, Johan Santana and Hunter would still be with the Twins.

PS: To become a HOF, you have to have consistency and longevity.

i don't think we read the same post :-?

I made a bet in 2003 that the Devil Rays would win the 2008 World Series. Oh so close.
the ROC
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Location: Defending my Baseball, Football, and Hockey Fantasy Championships

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 23, 2009 11:36 am

wat
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby jackie hayes » Sat May 23, 2009 12:54 pm

jealousblues wrote:for what its worth Pujols was never really considered a huge prospect.

People thought he was too fat when he was drafted too, weird huh

And years after they got him in the 13th round, the Cards signed him to a contract that is one of the greatest bargains in the sports world.

Some teams just get damn lucky...
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 141)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat May 23, 2009 1:56 pm

I read all this and I still don't know how and why Pujols and Lebron ruined sports. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Postby hett2333 » Sat May 23, 2009 6:32 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I read all this and I still don't know how and why Pujols and Lebron ruined sports. :-b

That's because none of this makes any sense...I guess he's upset sports fans would rather see Lebron beat the Magic with a second left than watching Billy Butler develop into an avg player over the next six years. What ever floats your boat guy....
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Precise » Sat May 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Lebron is a physical freak of nature who had an NBA-ready body by his Senior year of high school.

Kobe and KG both didn't fill out their frames until their early-20's. Thats the primary reason Lebron was able to dominate so soon.
Precise
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Sat May 23, 2009 9:37 pm

Again "ruined" was probably the wrong word. But they and others as well have helped create the expectation in fans that a player has to immediately make an impact. Instead of giving guys some time to figure things out, a player is considered a bust if he doesn't become the face of that franchise. I hear a lot of this on the sports radio as well. I am surprised in the fact that it seems I am the only one on this side. I would just like people to sit back and let guys work at their own pace and not demand perfection immediately. But once again apparently I am alone on this thought so I will end my rant and just pass my frustration on to my wife. Luck her! :-D
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers