Why Pujols and LeBron ruined sports. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Pujols and LeBron ruined sports.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why Pujols and LeBron ruined sports.

Postby MaudDib » Fri May 22, 2009 9:17 pm

Ok, I am going to rant for a bit...

I am tired of seeing people jump off a particular players band wagon if that player doesn't immediately produce in the pros. I remember not that long ago when a rookie was expected to take 2-3 years before becoming an all-star now it seems that if that player doesn't hit 35 HR and 100 RBI's or put up 30 ppg than he is a bust. In football, it is very popular to talk about not being able to judge a draft for 3 years but then pronounce that player A is a bust because as a rookie he didn't become the great player they thought he would become. I see it every where and it is driving me crazy. Why can't we give these guys a break. It took Kevin Garnett and Kobe years before they became HOFers. Same goes with Roy Halladay and Jake Peavy. The list can go a lot longer than this but you get my point. And maybe this has been going on for longer than I can remember but seems that since players like Pujols, Braun and Longoria have come in on fire, we expect all players to follow this route. Oh well, I guess that just means I can continue to cash in on guys like Joey Votto after he is labeled a bust.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why Pujols and LeBron ruined sports.

Postby BigL531 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:36 pm

You kind of have a point, but "ruined sports" is way too extreme. Some prospects do get overhyped, but trying to see who's gonna be the next star is interesting and fun to many. I'd say steroids and criminal athletes are much larger turnoffs. A lot of people watch sports for guys like Lebron and Pujols. If sports are ruined for you why are you posting on a fantasy baseball board? Pretty ridiculous post.
BigL531
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Old_Style » Fri May 22, 2009 9:43 pm

American society has been about instant gratification before Pujols and LeBron were around.

No need to be a player hater. B-)
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MaudDib » Fri May 22, 2009 9:50 pm

I didn't mean that sports are over. I obviously play fantasy baseball or I wouldn't be here. But I get tired of seeing people rip any player that doesn't immediately become the next big thing. I know that there are worse things out there in sports but in a fantasy perspective we seem to bail out on any player that doesn't win a trophy his first year. Players like Billy Butler, Homer Bailey and Joey Votto were all top prospects a few years ago but after not immediately succeeding, most people have bailed on them. Votto started off very hot until he got sick, Butler has turned things up since starting off kind of cold and it has yet to be seen on Bailey. Like I said, I just needed to rant.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri May 22, 2009 10:06 pm

I don't think anybody is off the Joey Votto bandwagon and he couldn't produce much better in 2008. For the record, KG and Kobe were all stars in their second years.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby DaShiz23 » Fri May 22, 2009 10:11 pm

If you are referring to fantasy sports, then there is nothing to be upset about. These 'games' are about numbers. You might as well get rid of the names. If a player (young, old, whatever), isn't producing, then he is worthless.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby JTWood » Fri May 22, 2009 10:15 pm

The idea that having talented people in a sport is a bad thing is preposterous.

And that's not my St. Louis fanboi talking there...
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Tis » Fri May 22, 2009 10:31 pm

Now NBA refs and MLB players assn.... now THEREs a pair thats ruining sports.
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri May 22, 2009 11:50 pm

I mean yeah, you need to let players develop before they become stars. Just look at Sammy Sosa, McGwire and Bonds. It just takes time ;D
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jackie hayes » Sat May 23, 2009 12:16 am

Just like sports were ruined by Ted Williams and Michael Jordan before them. There have been nonpareils in sports forever.

But if you're in any of my leagues, don't worry, I won't block your waiver claim on Homer Bailey. :-D
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 94)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers