How do you handle bad trade offers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you handle bad trade offers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do you handle bad trade offers

Postby markj11 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:08 pm

So how does everyone handle repeat offenders. This guy in my money keeper league offered:
His
Rafael Furcal
Andre Ethier
for
My
Miguel Cabrera

I rejected it and he dropped Furcal the next day(let's not get into that). Then:
His
Jason Bartlett
Mat Gamel
Andre Ethier
for
My
Miguel Cabrera
Shane Victorino

I counter with:
My
Miguel Cabrera
for
His
Hanley Ramírez

He countered with:
Brandon Inge
Hanley Ramírez
Andre Ethier
for
My
Miguel Cabrera
Ryan Braun

So I'm done with dealing with this guy, I never really wanted to get rid of Miggy anyway. Should I just leave the offer out there or send him a ridiculous counter? Or maybe offer him "good luck" getting anything for Inge?
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How do you handle bad trade offers

Postby oddmanout7 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:15 pm

I would just reject it and move on.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby auclairkeithbc » Fri May 22, 2009 5:16 pm

those offers aren't ones you'd want to accept, but they aren't crazy bad. there are some owners out there that offer inge alone for m-cab. those are the ones to truly dismiss.

you probably just need to change you mindset about dealing with trades all together. never go into a negotiation thinking there is any real chance to get something done. engage in the negotiation only if you think it is fun. if you hating working out trades (and this example is a perfectly normal example), then don't bother countering an offer unless it is very close to begin with. if you can handle the high probability that a deal won't happen, and can find a way to enjoy the bartering, go ahead and try.

if it is an outrageous offer, like m-cab for inge, you should just ignore it in my opinion. but the offers he is giving you show that he is at least aware of relative prices. those aren't vetoable deals.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jswede » Fri May 22, 2009 5:32 pm

not horrible offers, but it's pretty clear he's just trying to steal some value...

in my league, in most all cases, offers are created with the needs of the other managers in mind, and addressed as such. ie 'you have excess value at 1B and need SP, so here's a SP and a backup position player for your 1B'. Ask him to address your needs in writing along with future offers -- tell him to tell you why you should take the offer. you'll likely see less attempts to rip you off if he has to actually study your team and present a valuable offer that helps you both.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby B-Chad » Fri May 22, 2009 5:40 pm

I'd probably respond with a message that says you aren't interested in sell high players for a stud or studs. Also reply that it doesn't appear that he's willing to make a real offer, so he should save himself the time and after, and that if the two of you are going to deal, you'll make him an offer. At that point, be done with it.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby markj11 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:45 pm

jswede wrote:not horrible offers, but it's pretty clear he's just trying to steal some value...

in my league, in most all cases, offers are created with the needs of the other managers in mind, and addressed as such. ie 'you have excess value at 1B and need SP, so here's a SP and a backup position player for your 1B'. Ask him to address your needs in writing along with future offers -- tell him to tell you why you should take the offer. you'll likely see less attempts to rip you off if he has to actually study your team and present a valuable offer that helps you both.

I guess that's kind of what I meant by "bad trade offers". This guy comes to me wanting one of my players but isn't even addressing my needs. Inge would not make it on my team. His only value, which is quickly going away, is at C. I have McCann and Wieters.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 22, 2009 5:47 pm

oddmanout7 wrote:I would just reject it and move on.

this
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby markj11 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:48 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
oddmanout7 wrote:I would just reject it and move on.

this

That was my plan, so it is.
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby the izzy » Fri May 22, 2009 6:54 pm

depends on the owner ... sometimes they offer a "bad" trade just open up lines of communication. If the other team continues to offer bad trade after bad trade though, I like to post the trades on the message boards so that other teams are aware that the owner is just trying to rip people off.

Just today I was offered Zambrano + Cantu for my Pujols in a keeper league. The owner just wanted to know if Pujols was available for trade. It was actually the second trade offer I had received for Pujols today. The other offer being that I get Sizemore + Teixeria for my Pujols. I sent this offer information back to the first owner and asked if he could beat the offer.
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rohan » Fri May 22, 2009 7:43 pm

the izzy wrote:depends on the owner ... sometimes they offer a "bad" trade just open up lines of communication. If the other team continues to offer bad trade after bad trade though, I like to post the trades on the message boards so that other teams are aware that the owner is just trying to rip people off.

Just today I was offered Zambrano + Cantu for my Pujols in a keeper league. The owner just wanted to know if Pujols was available for trade. It was actually the second trade offer I had received for Pujols today. The other offer being that I get Sizemore + Teixeria for my Pujols. I sent this offer information back to the first owner and asked if he could beat the offer.

This is what send bad messages and fights in leagues, when teams start posting bad offers on the message board, people get the wrong idea, and depending in which league EVERYONE in the league receives the email. Last year we had about 100 messages. We decided this will not be tolerated. If you were in our league, you receive a warning
then we KICK UR AZZ out. There's no need to post "what you think" is bad on the message board to get people upset. It doesn't do anyone good. Best thing to do is reject, offer a counter, and/or send a personal message to that owner, what your needs are, players you like, etc..
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers