Wang Up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Wang Up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Wang Up

Postby Reeron » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:24 am

Considering the Yankees gave the Nationals 5 outs in the 5th inning, Wang pitched very well (and much better than the stat-line). He should have allowed 2 less baserunners and 2 less runs to score. And about 12 less pitches to get through the 5th inning. Hell, he would have been able to pitch into the 6th (maybe even completing it). 5 innings and 1 run allowed (on a mistake to Dunn who got the green light on 3-0). Or maybe even 6 innings and 1 run allowed. How in the hell is that not a good stat line? Was he Tim Lincecum-like? Nope. But he looked like vintage Wang (10 groundball outs, 4 strikeouts, and only 1 fly out). He was also on a 85-90 pitch count limit. Next start he will be allowed to throw about 95-100. That means he can realistically pitch 6+ innings.

He's back. Not quite 100% (2006-2007 Wang), but damn close. I'm starting him next week with his 2 starts, without any hesitation.

By the way, he hit 95 on the gun several times. 95mph sinker? Good luck to MLB hitters. They'll need it.
Reeron
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby B-Chad » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:44 am

I'll pass on Wang, at his absolute best, he's mediocre relying on the most variable pitching stat to make him rosterable, at his worst he's posting a 40's ERA. He strikes no one out, and who knows when he'll lose it again and go back to being a batting practice pitcher throwing sinkers up in the zone leaving them fat for hitters. Besides, the Yankees are so confident in him they are willing to take a peak at Pedro Martinez throwing in the DR... no thanks.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Reeron » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:42 pm

The Yanks have absolutely no interest in Pedro. Zero. Zilch. They are looking at him as a courtesy to his agent with whom they have a very good relationship. They even stated that in print. Zero interest.

But go ahead and pass on Wang, even if he returns to form, he's not a fantasy ace even in his best days. Just a solid 3 or 4. I think he will get back to that in his next 2 or 3 starts. He's someone who you can gamble on, but not someone to anchor your staff. I'm counting on him to be my 12th starter, so even if he doesn't pan out, it won't matter to me.
Reeron
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates