Postby sixer03fan » Fri May 22, 2009 3:53 pm

here we go again...
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bring on the Homer

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 22, 2009 4:06 pm

Not that I expect Bailey to tear the house down, but it's comical how people are so quick to just write off a guy who's just a few weeks past his 23rd birthday because he had trouble against Major League hitters at age 21 and 22.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby B-Chad » Fri May 22, 2009 4:21 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Not that I expect Bailey to tear the house down, but it's comical how people are so quick to just write off a guy who's just a few weeks past his 23rd birthday because he had trouble against Major League hitters at age 21 and 22.

Agreed. He's thrown a whopping 81.2 Major League innings. Besides, he's still about 9-10 months younger then David Price. Should we give up on David Price because he's only putting up mediocre numbers in AAA, and was putting up bad-mediocre numbers before his last outting? Give me a break, he may still end up being a bust, but he's got an electric arm, and his k-rate in AAA is pretty damn impressive. His walk rate is also passable/decent right now. Guys with his type fastball and electric stuff sometimes need to take the time to learn how to pitch and realize they can't just blow hitters away at the higher levels. I personally think Bailey could be a decent spot starter the rest of this year with growth the be a lot more then that in the near future. He will have to work to get his GB rate up though if he doesn't want the gopher ball to bite him in the butt in Cinci though, but otherwise, I'd say it's foolish to completely right him off, and I could understand people having 0 interest in shallow/medium sized leagues and re-draft leagues, but those in deeper leagues with keepers would be wise to stay tuned.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby skones » Fri May 22, 2009 4:31 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
skones wrote:If he's pitching poorly in AAA, he's waiver wire fodder.........

His ERA looks poor because of his first two starts in which he gave up 10 ER in 8 IP. Since then he's only given up more than 2 ER twice and hasn't given up more than 4. This stretch also includes a 15 K game in 6.1 IP. In deeper mixed leagues and NL only leagues its worth grabbing him now, otherwise in 12 team mixed I'd take the wait and see approach...

I just don't see it. The fact that he's giving up 2 and 3 earned runs per outing and having problems with control here and there doesn't translate to production this year in the majors. I just don't think he's a viable option right now. The guy put up similar numbers LAST year in AAA and came to the majors looking AWFUL. Without significant improvement in his AAA appearances, I don't think he's worthy of grabbing right now.
skones
College Coach
College Coach

Postby skones » Fri May 22, 2009 4:32 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Not that I expect Bailey to tear the house down, but it's comical how people are so quick to just write off a guy who's just a few weeks past his 23rd birthday because he had trouble against Major League hitters at age 21 and 22.

I think you're missing the point a bit. Right now, I'd stay far, far away from him. Nobody's saying he can't become a very good pitcher in this league, but if you're expecting that right now, you're going to be sorely mistaken.
skones
College Coach
College Coach

Postby markj11 » Fri May 22, 2009 4:35 pm

foeplay wrote:I just dropped Johan for him in a 16-team league.

LMAOF. I'm not sure if you are serious or joking but either way that is pretty funny. If you did it, I laugh at you. If your joking, I laugh at you. LMAOF
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 22, 2009 4:38 pm

skones wrote:

I think you're missing the point a bit. Right now, I'd stay far, far away from him. Nobody's saying he can't become a very good pitcher in this league, but if you're expecting that right now, you're going to be sorely mistaken.

Actually, several people seem to be saying, or at least inferring this...

Homer Hochevar sucks.

Or is it Luke Bailey?

Wake me up when these two losers stop getting run...they blow.

I have given up on Homer and I suggest you do the same. :-t

here we go again...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby skones » Fri May 22, 2009 5:39 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
skones wrote:

Actually, several people seem to be saying, or at least inferring this...

Homer Hochevar sucks.

Or is it Luke Bailey?

Wake me up when these two losers stop getting run...they blow.

I have given up on Homer and I suggest you do the same. :-t

here we go again...

I may be off base, but I just didn't read them like that at all. Here we go again as in.....living off the hype etc, will get picked up, bomb, and then be dropped.
skones
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers