The break of a curveball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The break of a curveball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The break of a curveball

Postby Chicago RedSox » Thu May 21, 2009 1:39 pm

I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that the hardest thing to do in professional sports is to hit a major league curveball. When I was stumbling around on the internet today I found a cool website that kind of shows why.
The guy created a visual that shows the illusion created by a curve ball. Pretty cool effect if you ask me.
I remember the first time I faced a curveball when I was about 12 years old. The kid threw the pitch and I swore it was going to hit me in the head, so I jumped back out of the batters box, and the ball dropped in for a strike. The SOB stood on the mound laughing at me. The same thing happened the next pitch, complete with the pitcher laughing at me. But for the thrid pitch I was determined to stay in there and try to hit it. Sure enough, I stood my ground and hit it the other way for a double and got the last laugh. Good times....

Check it out, it's pretty cool:
http://www.illusionsciences.com/2009/05 ... eball.html
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The break of a curveball

Postby foeplay » Thu May 21, 2009 2:12 pm

Soria's curveball is sexy.
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mtxdevil » Thu May 21, 2009 2:18 pm

foeplay wrote:Soria's curveball is sexy.

Greinke's curveball > Soria's curveball. :-)
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjwock07 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:23 pm

cool link.
"Great things come from the mind of a man who can be happy, but never satisfied."
rjwock07
College Coach
College Coach

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby keeks137 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:41 pm

In high school, I used to be able to handle the curveball to some degree. I think the key was a cleaner ball. With clearly distinguished seams, it was a bit easier to pick up the rotation of a pitch.

Well, I took 6 years off from baseball and then decided to give it a shot through my park district. Now, you can just forget about it. If a guy has a decent fastball and a curve he can throw for strikes I'm screwed. Granted, we played with essentially the same ball all game, so that thing's getting dirtier and dirtier. Additionally, a good chunk of the games are at night which I think hurts. If I can't pick up the rotation, I'm hopeless.

I've had more than my share of moments where I wound up ducking like my life depended on it, only for the pitch to be called a strike. I played with a guy who is now in AAA. He had a curveball that was just ridiculous.
http://www.thedugs.com Baseball Webcomics
keeks137
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby moochman » Thu May 21, 2009 7:04 pm

When it comes to a curve ball, call me Jobu.
The only thing that bends more than the ball are my knees. Dropped on my head too many times as a child, I suppose, to not flinch at any decent curve.

Sadly, I also handle a good fastball like Nefi Perez, so.......
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:20 pm

TRIPPY!!

I must have seen a lot of hangers then. Nothing looked like that to me! 8-o
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby 910BronxBomber » Fri May 22, 2009 1:25 am

keeks137 wrote:In high school, I used to be able to handle the curveball to some degree. I think the key was a cleaner ball. With clearly distinguished seams, it was a bit easier to pick up the rotation of a pitch.

Well, I took 6 years off from baseball and then decided to give it a shot through my park district. Now, you can just forget about it. If a guy has a decent fastball and a curve he can throw for strikes I'm screwed. Granted, we played with essentially the same ball all game, so that thing's getting dirtier and dirtier. Additionally, a good chunk of the games are at night which I think hurts. If I can't pick up the rotation, I'm hopeless.

I've had more than my share of moments where I wound up ducking like my life depended on it, only for the pitch to be called a strike. I played with a guy who is now in AAA. He had a curveball that was just ridiculous.

What you say makes a lot of sense. Having been brought up in the game of baseball (my father was an all state catcher), I was always taught to look at the seams. A cleaner ball makes a world of difference.

Speaking of your friend whom is in triple A, my father played with a guy by the name of Tommy Greene, and was famous for taking him yard in the bottom of the ninth inning of a high school conference game (they lived a mere two miles apart, yet went to two different schools). Tommy Greene went on to no hit the expos in 1991.

Cheers,
910BB
910BronxBomber
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers