Peavy to ChiSox? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Peavy to ChiSox?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Peavy to ChiSox?

Postby CadensDad » Fri May 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Ok Peavy has made it pretty clear he wants to pitch in the NL but will consider a few AL teams. One would have to imagine that those AL teams are

Rays
Red Sox
Yankees
Angels

So those are the only 4 possibilities I see for the AL, the NL has a few more choices however for Peavy , but here is what I am thinking broken up into groups.

VERY unlikely

Marlins
Nationals
Diamondbacks
Rockies
Giants
Reds
Pirates
Red Sox (Pitching is already deep)
Braves

A bit likely
Rays
Angels
Astros
Dodgers
Phillies (I don’t think they have the prospects)
Cubs (Pitching is set and I don’t think they want to ad the payroll)

The Likely teams

Yankees (Pitching is deep, but Yankees don’t ever seem to surprise me)
Mets (They need some SP badly, and a Santana/Peavy combo sounds like fun)
Cardinals (They do have some SP, but Peavy would give them a great 1-2-3)
Brewers (They need the help as well but I don’t know if they have the prospects to make this work)

In my opinion I see the Mets as the front runners followed by the Yankees, Cardnials then Brewers, Dodgers would be in the front group but I don’t think the Pad’s want to see Peavy in the NL West. Anyone else got more insight on this?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby drunkmonkey » Fri May 22, 2009 1:44 pm

Cardinals won't take on Peavy's payroll, nor would they give up the prospects necessary. They've been pretty stingy lately. I'd be extremely surprised if they showed interest.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri May 22, 2009 1:53 pm

He's not going to New York or Boston, he's already made it pretty clear that he's scared of being on the biggest stages and would prefer somewhere smaller.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby CadensDad » Fri May 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:He's not going to New York or Boston, he's already made it pretty clear that he's scared of being on the biggest stages and would prefer somewhere smaller.

When was this? I must have missed it somewhere,

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby hett2333 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:40 pm

CadensDad wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:He's not going to New York or Boston, he's already made it pretty clear that he's scared of being on the biggest stages and would prefer somewhere smaller.

When was this? I must have missed it somewhere,

Peavy is a coward...he wants no part of the american league because he wants to bat. Worst excuse ever...
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yanks_Baby » Fri May 22, 2009 3:12 pm

Caden, although I agree right now with Hurdle the Rockies are very unlikely, I think they would be a perfect fit. They have an excess of young infielders with good potential between the bigs and the their prospect system. It seems like they only draft SS/2B. And San Diego is clearly looking for a SS to replace Greene, hence the attempt at Beckham. Rockies need pitching very badly, and the team doesn't have any highly paid stars now that they traded away Holliday. A package of Gomez and McKenry for Peavy would be perfect. Between Tulo and Ianetta, those two are blocked from entering the big leagues any time soon, and San Diego would get some much needed future offense. A rotation like Peavy/Morales/Francis/Jhoulys Chacin/DelaRosa has a lot of potential, and they'd still have a pretty solid offense.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri May 22, 2009 3:31 pm

I'd say anyone in the NL West is very unlikely. The Mets and Brewers make sense to me. The only AL team that seems like a good fit is the Angels.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 355)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Fri May 22, 2009 3:42 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I'd say anyone in the NL West is very unlikely. The Mets and Brewers make sense to me. The only AL team that seems like a good fit is the Angels.

Completely disagree.

San Diego knows it won't be in contention this year, and probably not for a while. They aren't afraid of helping the competition as long as they get something good in return. And Peavy would be most willing to go to another Nl West team so he can still live in his newly purchsed Southern California house.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mac-unit » Fri May 22, 2009 3:46 pm

He would go to LA and I'd consider that a big stage. If he did come to NY I don't see him going to the the Yankees because all of the HRs this early aren't a fluke. While the Mets play in a stadium that I'd consider a top 3 pitchers park in the league and on top of that, we would pay him. I still think he would turn down NY unless he thinks he'd be able to live an hour outside the city.

I think the Brewers are the best fit for him and the Padres. They have the almost MLB ready shortstop to be the key piece, and they have some mid level pitching prospects. I don't know if they'd be willing to part with Escobar though.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 24)

Postby nolanwood » Fri May 22, 2009 4:31 pm

I agree that the Brewers make the most sense, but from what I've read Towers seems to want ML ready pitching in return. I agree - a package with Escobar would be an ideal fit for them, though. I think there's a very slim (if any) chance that the Cardinals get involved. Again, they'd make an ideal trading partner, but I can't see Mozeliak wanting to take on that payroll or give up any prospects. I think the Cubs are out of it for two reasons. First, because at the end of their discussions in the offseason there was supposedly a deal on the table that both sides had agreed upon, and at the last minute Towers tried to milk another player from the Cubs (Guzman I believe). I think that may have soured Hendry on the Peavy talks. Second, they cannot add payroll until the Ricketts deal is finalized (which could happen as early as the end of June, but more likely after the deadline). I think the Angels and Dodgers would also make ideal trading partners.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers