Possible Peavy to White Sox trade (5/21/09) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Possible Peavy to White Sox trade (5/21/09)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Possible Peavy to White Sox trade (5/21/09)

Postby saemick » Thu May 21, 2009 2:11 pm

According to ESPN, Peavy "Prefers to stay in the NL":

http://espn.go.com/chicago/story?id=4191562

The agent for San Diego Padres pitcher Jake Peavy expressed doubt Thursday that his client is ready to sign off on a proposed trade to the Chicago White Sox.

Agent Barry Axelrod told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that Peavy has a "strong preference'' to stay in the National League. That preference, along with Peavy's fondness for his new home in Southern California, could be impediments to a proposed deal that would send the pitcher to Chicago.
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby heyeaglefn » Thu May 21, 2009 4:27 pm

Not sure why the White Sox would do this, not like they need pitching (Losing 20-0 to Min right now)...lol
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RenPastana » Thu May 21, 2009 7:40 pm

VETOED by the prez!
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:36 pm

RenPastana wrote:VETOED by the prez!

what? :-?... is the prez meaning Peavy im guessing as he blocked the deal?

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RenPastana » Thu May 21, 2009 9:32 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
RenPastana wrote:VETOED by the prez!

what? :-?... is the prez meaning Peavy im guessing as he blocked the deal?

Sure...When I hear the word Veto, it makes me think of politics as it's one of the president's most power tools! lol sry for the confusion!

Good news for Peavy owners though! ChiSox :-L
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hwiggen » Thu May 21, 2009 11:14 pm

As a Sox fan, I'm still scratching my head over this whole scenario. This is a trade you make when you're in contention and the Sox are basically out of the playoff race already. They might contend for the division with Peavy but they have holes offensively and their defense is not what it used to be. I can certainly understand why Peavy turned down this trade.
As for fantasy, I'm not sure this trade would have been all that bad for Peavy owners. Buhrle has put up pretty good numbers in that park over the years and don't forget he had a horrible defense behind him in the Jerry Manuel era.
One thing I don't get is Peavy's (reported) reluctance to pitch for Ozzie Guillen. Ozzie loves to leave his starters in a little longer if he can. At least that's how it went in '05 when they won it all. John Garland, for example, thrived under Guillen, who let him pitch late into games and gave him every opportunity to pick up wins. Manuel, on the other hand, showed no patience with Garland.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mac-unit » Thu May 21, 2009 11:17 pm

hwiggen wrote:As a Sox fan, I'm still scratching my head over this whole scenario. This is a trade you make when you're in contention and the Sox are basically out of the playoff race already. They might contend for the division with Peavy but they have holes offensively and their defense is not what it used to be. I can certainly understand why Peavy turned down this trade.
As for fantasy, I'm not sure this trade would have been all that bad for Peavy owners. Buhrle has put up pretty good numbers in that park over the years and don't forget he had a horrible defense behind him in the Jerry Manuel era.
One thing I don't get is Peavy's (reported) reluctance to pitch for Ozzie Guillen. Ozzie loves to leave his starters in a little longer if he can. At least that's how it went in '05 when they won it all. John Garland, for example, thrived under Guillen, who let him pitch late into games and gave him every opportunity to pick up wins. Manuel, on the other hand, showed no patience with Garland.

I believe he would be weary of Ozzie's hot temper. I don't know how Manual was in Chicago but in NY he could be the most mellow laid back manager I've ever seen. And Manual will let the ace stay out there, look how he used Johan last year, If he said it was ready he was pitching. Peavy is also much more talented then Garland and they should be handled differently by the manger.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Skimo77 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:55 pm

hwiggen wrote:As a Sox fan, I'm still scratching my head over this whole scenario. This is a trade you make when you're in contention and the Sox are basically out of the playoff race already. They might contend for the division with Peavy but they have holes offensively and their defense is not what it used to be. I can certainly understand why Peavy turned down this trade.

out of contention???? they're 6.5 games out and its May...
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates