Clint Hurdle is not very bright - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clint Hurdle is not very bright

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Clint Hurdle is not very bright

Postby rookies and cream » Wed May 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Apparently, Hurdle is sending a message to his team by benching Tulo tonight for swinging at a first pitch.

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_12412317

But isn't he basically sending a message to other teams to throw first pitch strikes, which will essentially put his players into bad hitting counts? And why does he always seem to pick on Tulo, the leader and future of the team?

I've had beef with Hurdle before and I'm starting to think he will be the next manager fired...very soon.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Clint Hurdle is not very bright

Postby Yanks_Baby » Wed May 20, 2009 5:19 pm

God I hope they fire this fool. He's worse than Yost was. He seems to hate youth and strongly favor washed up veterans, just look at the treatment Spillborgh's gotten the past couple years. Not to mention the horrible trade he made with Oakland. He also seems to forget that pitching matters, as he never even tried to acquire any. He's so horrible.

And my poor team tonight. Hamilton is out. Votto is out. Tulo is out. A-Ram is out. :~(
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Montana168 » Wed May 20, 2009 6:42 pm

yup, and on top of that...he was trying to get todd helton's grounder up the middle that was booted by yunel escobar turned into a hit. reason i bring it up is because that error, if overturned, would have been helton's 2,000th hit of his career. do you really think helton would have appreciated that gesture if it was overturned? i highly doubt it. i'm sure helton would much rather get a legit hit for his 2,000th so that it would be more memorable because it would be put up on the scoreboard and he'd be cheered. 2,000 is a big milestone for helton and i would have hated to see him get it in that way. now he's mishandled this situation with tulo. he is definately on the chopping block.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby keeks137 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:34 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Apparently, Hurdle is sending a message to his team by benching Tulo tonight for swinging at a first pitch.

But isn't he basically sending a message to other teams to throw first pitch strikes, which will essentially put his players into bad hitting counts? And why does he always seem to pick on Tulo, the leader and future of the team?

I've had beef with Hurdle before and I'm starting to think he will be the next manager fired...very soon.

I don't know about this.

He was more upset that Tulo swung at a bad first pitch rather than a first pitch in general. With 0 strikes against you, you're only looking to take a cut at something you're going to be able to take deep. You're not in plate protection mode, which it seemed like Tulo was on the pitch.

Additionally, other teams are always going to be trying to throw first pitch strikes, I don't think Hurdle's actions are going to impact that point. I don't remember what they are, but I remember the numbers being ridiculous regarding a pitcher's success rate during an at bat with a first pitch strike vs. a ball.

I'm not saying that I like Clint Hurdle, but I don't really take exception to the benching.
http://www.thedugs.com Baseball Webcomics
keeks137
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rookies and cream » Thu May 21, 2009 7:08 pm

It seems I'm not the only one who had that thought...

http://www.purplerow.com/2009/5/21/8822 ... ritings-on
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby moochman » Thu May 21, 2009 7:10 pm

keeks137 wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:Apparently, Hurdle is sending a message to his team by benching Tulo tonight for swinging at a first pitch.

I don't know about this.

He was more upset that Tulo swung at a bad first pitch rather than a first pitch in general. With 0 strikes against you, you're only looking to take a cut at something you're going to be able to take deep. You're not in plate protection mode, which it seemed like Tulo was on the pitch.

Additionally, other teams are always going to be trying to throw first pitch strikes, I don't think Hurdle's actions are going to impact that point. I don't remember what they are, but I remember the numbers being ridiculous regarding a pitcher's success rate during an at bat with a first pitch strike vs. a ball.

I'm not saying that I like Clint Hurdle, but I don't really take exception to the benching.

Being a Tigers fan I get to see many bad approaches at the plate, including first pitch swings after one or two 4-5 pitch walks. It is frustrating, but you don't sit your player for it-you fire your hitting coach. I wonder if there is some other garbage between Tulo and Hurdle.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rookies and cream » Thu May 21, 2009 7:38 pm

Tulo's last 2 AB's

1) strike looking, foul, strike out swinging
2) strike looking, strike looking, foul out
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby keeks137 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:04 am

rookies and cream wrote:Tulo's last 2 AB's

1) strike looking, foul, strike out swinging
2) strike looking, strike looking, foul out

You've got a good point here- now I'm second guessing my previous point. This is going to be in his head now. I think you have to be selective about swinging at a pitch with 0 strikes against you, but now I could see him avoiding it all together to stay away from another benching. That is also going to lead to nothing but bad results.

Unfortunately my backup SS I just got is Zobrist because I liked his numbers. I didn't realize he was losing at bats to a guy that's batting .200 with no home runs. I'm thinking I'd like to start a thread about that manager instead.
http://www.thedugs.com Baseball Webcomics
keeks137
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby foeplay » Fri May 22, 2009 11:21 am

or he could be the smartest manager ever because by saying this pitchers will now throw first pitch strikes that the Rockies will mash.
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 22, 2009 11:41 am

Hurlde is the worst manager ever
Apodaca is the worst pitching coach ever
O'Dowd is the worst GM ever
THe Monfarts are the worst owners ever.
Rockies fans are the worst fans ever.

Seriously the rockies could lose 162 games and as long as soccer moms and dads get to take their kids to see Todd Helton once in a while then the city doesn't care.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers