The June 1st call up predictions thread... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The June 1st call up predictions thread...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The June 1st call up predictions thread...

Postby Havok1517 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:41 pm

B-Chad wrote:What about one two guys somewhat flying under the radar that are changing positions... Jesus Guzman and Kyle Blanks? Both the Giants and Padres offenses are terrible, and it appears the Padres realize that if they are not going to deal Blanks or Gonzalez (though I do think they eventually deal Gonzalez) they need Blanks to move to the OF to get his bat up to the Majors where it belongs.

Guzman got called up already for interleague play. Not sure who this Gonzalez person is though. I assume you meant Guzman.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby garf112 » Sun May 24, 2009 4:00 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
B-Chad wrote:What about one two guys somewhat flying under the radar that are changing positions... Jesus Guzman and Kyle Blanks? Both the Giants and Padres offenses are terrible, and it appears the Padres realize that if they are not going to deal Blanks or Gonzalez (though I do think they eventually deal Gonzalez) they need Blanks to move to the OF to get his bat up to the Majors where it belongs.

Guzman got called up already for interleague play. Not sure who this Gonzalez person is though. I assume you meant Guzman.

adrian gonzalez?
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby King Tim » Sun May 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Maris09 wrote:Wouldn't Price coming up at this point defeat the purpose of leaving him down there so long?
I'm not completely familar with the Super 2 stuff, but it would seem to still be right before the deadline to keep guys from becoming eligible.

Not sure how contracts work, but when it comes to Price I thought the super 2 didn't matter because he already has a major league contract. So the purpose of leaving him done there wouldn't have anything to do with service time.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby aaronharangatang » Sun May 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Price should be up tomorrow to face the Indians
aaronharangatang
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby neoforce » Sun May 24, 2009 5:15 pm

King Tim wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Wouldn't Price coming up at this point defeat the purpose of leaving him down there so long?
I'm not completely familar with the Super 2 stuff, but it would seem to still be right before the deadline to keep guys from becoming eligible.

Not sure how contracts work, but when it comes to Price I thought the super 2 didn't matter because he already has a major league contract. So the purpose of leaving him done there wouldn't have anything to do with service time.

Super 2 is based on service time on the active MLB roster, not based on being on the 40 man roster.

But as I stated earlier in this thread, even teams that try to address the Super 2 issue often change plans when there are injuries, as is the case for Price. (Howard was the same issue a few years ago, LaPorta this year. Both came up "early" when there was an injury)

Also, there is a chance that the players have already passed the super 2 time frame. Remember, it changes every year, and there is no way for us to be sure until all of the players service times are calculated. (MLB teams probably have a reasonable estimate of the cutoff, but nothing like that is ever published.)

from http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/info/faq.jsp:
A: A player with three or more years of service, but less than six years, may file for salary arbitration. In addition, a player can be classified as a "Super Two" and be eligible for arbitration with less than three years of service. A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 17 percent in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers