NBA Playoffs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

NBA Playoffs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: NBA Playoffs

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:04 am

Congrats to Kobe and the Lakers. I had hopes that they would make it back and win, and they did.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: NBA Playoffs

Postby Phatferd » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:59 am

I really feel like Pau is not getting enough credit for this championship. I know he's getting some praise, but he is getting overlooked at really how great he is and how important he was in this title. One of the main reason's they lost last year to Boston was because of Pau's lack of toughness and physical presence on defense.

You have to give him a ton of credit for taking it as a challenge and making sure he was stronger and played with an added toughness. A prime example of this was when Pietrius pounded Gasol in game 4 and he got right in his face and didn't back down and brush it off. You can tell he was a different player than a year ago in terms of attitude and toughness.

I saw a stat that Howard had 0 points in game 5 when Gasol was on the court.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Re: NBA Playoffs

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:23 am

Phatferd wrote:I really feel like Pau is not getting enough credit for this championship. I know he's getting some praise, but he is getting overlooked at really how great he is and how important he was in this title. One of the main reason's they lost last year to Boston was because of Pau's lack of toughness and physical presence on defense.

You have to give him a ton of credit for taking it as a challenge and making sure he was stronger and played with an added toughness. A prime example of this was when Pietrius pounded Gasol in game 4 and he got right in his face and didn't back down and brush it off. You can tell he was a different player than a year ago in terms of attitude and toughness.

I saw a stat that Howard had 0 points in game 5 when Gasol was on the court.


There is certainly a reason Spain won the Worlds a few years back, and he was it.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: NBA Playoffs

Postby Phatferd » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:41 am

Lebron who?

Image
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Re: NBA Playoffs

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:20 pm

NHL playoffs >>>> NBA playoffs
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19486
(Past Year: 301)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: NBA Playoffs

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:45 pm

jfg wrote:I think Kobe might be the best player in the league but he sure is a pain to watch because he always has that stupid sneer on his face. It's not fun watching someone who looks like they aren't having fun. The guy just has a terrible personality.


Personally, I'd rather have a guy who scowls and shows that hunger on the floor than someone who thinks the game is a country club to them. All players deal with high-stress situations in their own way and there's no right/wrong in feeling either way. However, I'd much rather see a player who shows intensity and urgency on the floor, that look on his face like if he loses, he loses the farm with it. I believe deep down inside he loves the game for what it is, but it's as much business as it is fun, more so business.

Phatferd wrote:I really feel like Pau is not getting enough credit for this championship. I know he's getting some praise, but he is getting overlooked at really how great he is and how important he was in this title. One of the main reason's they lost last year to Boston was because of Pau's lack of toughness and physical presence on defense.


Another reason for why the Lakers won is because of Ariza's presence, both as a perimeter defender and his developed shooting range, that X-factor which the Lakers also lacked against Boston. That and Lamar was pretty consistent for the finals and for that matter, the playoffs.

At any rate, you're right. Pau is an underrated defender, but I think it really shone in the conference finals against Denver and of course in the finals. He did such a fantastic job against Howard, just to stick with him and forcing Howard not to take that explosive step to the basket. As much as it had been said about Kobe's inability to win it all without Shaq, likewise Kobe wouldn't have been here without the great all-around play of Pau.

In all, I'm so happy for every Laker there. The title means something a little extra for me as Pau, a Barcelona native and a Catalan, won his first ring in a Laker uniform. For Luke Walton, as it's third time's a charm for him. For the local boys, Trevor Ariza and Jordan Farmar. Of course, for Lamar Odom who had been through a lot in his career and personal life as well as Derek Fisher who is perhaps the best Laker ambassador on and off the floor over the past 15 years or so. Great day all around. ;-D
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21672
(Past Year: 452)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not nineteen forever

Re: NBA Playoffs

Postby urbanbreez » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:17 pm

Phatferd wrote:Lebron who?

Image

Nice!
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: NBA Playoffs

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:08 pm

How boring ... ESPN has non stop talked about Kobe for like 2 months straight. NOBODY CARES
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: NBA Playoffs

Postby jfg » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:17 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
jfg wrote:I think Kobe might be the best player in the league but he sure is a pain to watch because he always has that stupid sneer on his face. It's not fun watching someone who looks like they aren't having fun. The guy just has a terrible personality.


Personally, I'd rather have a guy who scowls and shows that hunger on the floor than someone who thinks the game is a country club to them. All players deal with high-stress situations in their own way and there's no right/wrong in feeling either way. However, I'd much rather see a player who shows intensity and urgency on the floor, that look on his face like if he loses, he loses the farm with it. I believe deep down inside he loves the game for what it is, but it's as much business as it is fun, more so business.



Kobe doesn't just do it when he loses though, it looks like he hates the game at all times and is always scowling about a call that didn't go his way or just life in general. You rarely see him smile.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6077
(Past Year: 169)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NBA Playoffs

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:19 pm

jfg wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
jfg wrote:I think Kobe might be the best player in the league but he sure is a pain to watch because he always has that stupid sneer on his face. It's not fun watching someone who looks like they aren't having fun. The guy just has a terrible personality.


Personally, I'd rather have a guy who scowls and shows that hunger on the floor than someone who thinks the game is a country club to them. All players deal with high-stress situations in their own way and there's no right/wrong in feeling either way. However, I'd much rather see a player who shows intensity and urgency on the floor, that look on his face like if he loses, he loses the farm with it. I believe deep down inside he loves the game for what it is, but it's as much business as it is fun, more so business.



Kobe doesn't just do it when he loses though, it looks like he hates the game at all times and is always scowling about a call that didn't go his way or just life in general. You rarely see him smile.


It's cause he's so awesomely intense. Kobe is incredible at basketball but he'll never be Jordan in the sense that Jordan is a complete superstar. Kobe is disliked more then he's liked.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Apr. 19
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Cincinnati
(1:08 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(1:35 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(2:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(2:20 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Miami
(4:05 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at NY Mets
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(7:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(8:05 pm)
Arizona at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(8:40 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact