Rate me & 3 BURNING questions!! WHIR ALL DAY LONG - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate me & 3 BURNING questions!! WHIR ALL DAY LONG

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate me & 3 BURNING questions!! WHIR ALL DAY LONG

Postby ecannon80 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:19 pm

Ok, I guess I'll start this off by posting my roster:

H-2-H, 14 Teams
R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, TB, AVG, OBP, SLG
IP, W, L, SV, HLD, HR, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB

C - J. Baker
1B - Helton
2B - Utley
3B - Scutaro
SS - Bartlett
OF - Markakis, Ibanez, Hawpe
UT - M. Bourn
BN - S. Drew ('til I see some productivity)
BN - Rolen
DL - A. Ramirez

SP - Peavy, Verlander, Bedard, Lester, R. Romero, T. Hanson
RP - F. Francisco, Wood, Wilson, D. Meyer

[It's always amusing to look at your roster a few weeks in and compare it to the team you drafted...I've been fortunate enough to pick up Bartlett, Francisco, Scutaro, Bourn (we'll see how long that lasts), Baker, and Helton (shocking) to replace......ahem, Carlos Guillen, Pierzynski (horrible), Maybin (crap), Lowrie, O. Cab, and Wheeler. Ricky Romero and Tommy Hanson are also recent additions.]

Anyway, ON TO THE BURNING QUESTIONS OF THE DAY:
(1) Mat Gamel is available on the wire and, with A-Ram on the DL for who knows how long, my thought is to drop Rolen for him. I figure Gamel has better upside and Rolen's an injury risk and is fairly inconsistent (though batting in the middle of a great offense). On the flip side, I'm hearing Gamel's time in the bigs may be brief - and while he's up, his AB's will be limited.

(2) Should I drop Ricky Romero for De la Rosa? I'm troubled by this question, and have spent 3 days arguing with myself over it. I haven't heard any news on when or if Romero will be called back up, but this guy's stuff was electric early in the season. I've got one foot on the De la Rosa train but the voice in the back of my head says he's historically inconsistent and, heck, it's only been his past 2 starts where he's been dominant. PLUS, he pitches for the Rockies for God's sake. How could I possibly live with myself if I go through with it? Somebody tell me please.

(3) Thoughts on Aardsma and Andrew Bailey? My league counts holds, and either one can help me in that category. Which one's for real? Will Aardsma hold onto the CL role when Morrow's 100 percent? Assuming that Romero doesn't figure to get called up any time soon, should I stand pat on my SP's (with the hope that Lester turns it around and Hanson will perform as advertised) and look to pick up one of these guys instead?

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT, PEEPS. LEAVE YOUR LINK.
ecannon80
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate me & 3 BURNING questions!! WHIR ALL DAY LONG

Postby Battaglia » Wed May 20, 2009 3:18 pm

ecannon80 wrote:Ok, I guess I'll start this off by posting my roster:

H-2-H, 14 Teams
R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, TB, AVG, OBP, SLG
IP, W, L, SV, HLD, HR, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB

C - J. Baker
1B - Helton
2B - Utley
3B - Scutaro
SS - Bartlett
OF - Markakis, Ibanez, Hawpe
UT - M. Bourn
BN - S. Drew ('til I see some productivity)
BN - Rolen
DL - A. Ramirez

SP - Peavy, Verlander, Bedard, Lester, R. Romero, T. Hanson
RP - F. Francisco, Wood, Wilson, D. Meyer

[It's always amusing to look at your roster a few weeks in and compare it to the team you drafted...I've been fortunate enough to pick up Bartlett, Francisco, Scutaro, Bourn (we'll see how long that lasts), Baker, and Helton (shocking) to replace......ahem, Carlos Guillen, Pierzynski (horrible), Maybin (crap), Lowrie, O. Cab, and Wheeler. Ricky Romero and Tommy Hanson are also recent additions.]

Anyway, ON TO THE BURNING QUESTIONS OF THE DAY:
(1) Mat Gamel is available on the wire and, with A-Ram on the DL for who knows how long, my thought is to drop Rolen for him. I figure Gamel has better upside and Rolen's an injury risk and is fairly inconsistent (though batting in the middle of a great offense). On the flip side, I'm hearing Gamel's time in the bigs may be brief - and while he's up, his AB's will be limited.

(2) Should I drop Ricky Romero for De la Rosa? I'm troubled by this question, and have spent 3 days arguing with myself over it. I haven't heard any news on when or if Romero will be called back up, but this guy's stuff was electric early in the season. I've got one foot on the De la Rosa train but the voice in the back of my head says he's historically inconsistent and, heck, it's only been his past 2 starts where he's been dominant. PLUS, he pitches for the Rockies for God's sake. How could I possibly live with myself if I go through with it? Somebody tell me please.

(3) Thoughts on Aardsma and Andrew Bailey? My league counts holds, and either one can help me in that category. Which one's for real? Will Aardsma hold onto the CL role when Morrow's 100 percent? Assuming that Romero doesn't figure to get called up any time soon, should I stand pat on my SP's (with the hope that Lester turns it around and Hanson will perform as advertised) and look to pick up one of these guys instead?

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT, PEEPS. LEAVE YOUR LINK.

(1) Rolen is having a pretty good year. Gamel is a young hitting prospect for sure but his defense is real bad. If he has a bunch of flubs at his position he could be benched or sent back down for a more steady guy considering the offense the Brewers can produce as is. Id stay with Rolen and hope he stays healthy.

(2) That is a fairly tough decision. La Rosa could be fools gold but so could Romero, who is a young pitcher in his own right. Remember when he was healthy the Jays didn't exactly face tough competition. He didnt have to pitch against the AL East at all. In terms of matchups De LaRosa will have easier ones in his division than Romero will when he returns. Id pull the trigger and take a shot at De LaRosa.

(3) Aardsma is a journeyman. I dont expect him to be there for long. Bailey is the guy I would target, especially with holds in your league. I like your starters for the most part. Lester will come around, seems like he's been a play away here and there from really good starts, I know I'm a Red Sox fan. Hope that helps.
Battaglia
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rate me & 3 BURNING questions!! WHIR ALL DAY LONG

Postby Lenny6 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:59 pm

1. Stick with Rolen at least while he's healthy and hitting well. If that carries you until ARam gets back, great, but if not then drop him for whoever is hotter. I don't think Gamel is a better bet right now, but if he strings together a couple of impressive games then go ahead and pick him up.

2. I'd drop Romero, but I'm not sold on De La Rosa. Hopefully by the time Romero comes back, nobody notices or remembers that he had a few good starts early on and you could get him back if necessary. He's doing you no good right now, though. Neither is Hanson, for that matter. If you need the help now you could try to deal him and his hype for something you can use.

3. I like both Aardsma and Bailey. In a 14-team league (is that roto or fantasy point scoring?) both would be useful. Aardsma has the closers job now and should keep it until he falters. If/when that happens you can dump him back onto the waiver wire for somebody else. Bailey should be a decent bat for holds and an occasional save and has much better "stuff" than Meyer so he should help your other pitching categories more in the long run.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?t=386257
Lenny6
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team