I am computer illiterate and need help buying a MacBook! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I am computer illiterate and need help buying a MacBook!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: I am computer illiterate and need help buying a MacBook!

Postby pokerplaya » Tue May 19, 2009 12:54 pm

I was going to respond last night, but I figured this would be the response. Not to beat a dead horse, but I think they are right. I bought a $450 Acer which did the job for several years and I essentially did the same kind of things you plan to do with it.

I'm all about desktops these days though. You can get parts so cheap nowadays, but since you are a college student I totally understand the convenience (and sometimes necessity) of your computer being mobile.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Tue May 19, 2009 12:59 pm

acsguitar wrote:Listen Macs are very functional and have advantages over Windows (Windows has advantages as well). However, I can get a 400 dollar 15.4 Inch PC and yet a VERY similar model is 2000k for a Mac.

QFT. I'm pro-Mac and all, but economically it makes no sense to buy one unless you NEED one. My Mac Mini is five years old now and it's getting close to replacement time, and it's going to be really difficult not to buy a PC this time.

And to go along with pokerplaya's comment, I'll likely buy a desktop. They're so cheap now, and you can create a massive buttkicker with RAM up the yang for really reasonable prices. It's the most economically sensible thing to do.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 19, 2009 4:01 pm

Ok here comes some nerdlishes stuff but I'll try to compare it as easily as possible:

$1999 MACBOOK PRO 15.4 INCH On Newegg vs Cheapo $429.99 Lenovo 15.4inch Laptop on Newegg
and then!
$1999 MACBOOK PRO 15.4 INCH Vs 18.4inch Asus n90 1799

GAME ON

Screen Size:
Macbook: 15.4 inches 1440x900 Resolution
Lenovo: 15.4 inches 1280 x 800 Resolution
Winner: MACBOOK
Professional Nerds Comments: Unless you are planning to play games (which you can't really do on either at Max resolution) Both resolution are fine. Both are HD 1080i/720p resolutions. If you can tell the difference I'll give you a dollar.

Harddrive:
Macbook: 250GB 5400RPM
Lenovo: 160GB 5400RPM
Winner: Macbook
Pro Nerd Comments: 250 over 160 isn't that big of a difference. Add in the fact that you can buy a 7200RPM 320GB drive for 80 bucks and put it in your Lenovo without voiding the warranty makes this a SLIGHT mac advantage.

Processor:
Macbook: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Lenovo: Intel Pentium dual-core T3400(2.16GHz)
Pro Nerd Comments: Macbook definitely has a better processor. Of course if you aren't using your processor then who really cares? Are you doing graphic design? Are you planning on ripping movies and re encoding them ALOT. Probably not.

RAM (Memory)
Macbook Pro: 2GB DDR3
Lenovo: 2GB DDR2
Pro Nerd Comments: This goes in the "I'll give you a dollar if you notice the difference." Catagory. You won't notice the difference.

Graphics Card:
Macbook Pro: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT / NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Lenovo: Some built in non gaming one
Winner: macbook
Pro Nerd Comments: I guess if it were possible to play games on the Mac then you could possibly play some low end ones with the Mac's Graphics card. So again not a huge difference. Good for Video editing though.

Operating System:
Macbook Pro: OSX whatever
Levovo: Vista Home
Pro Nerd Comments. OSX is Probably a better Operating system. But now that Vista is a few years old it's very stable. Add in the fact that you can immediately put a FREE Release Candidate Copy of Windows 7 on there and again its really close.

Overall I won't argue that the Macbook pro is a BETTER machine. But for the money it's a total rip off as you will see below. It's almost 5 times as expensive as the Lenovo but I doubt it can do THAT much more.

Next we see the Mac get PWNED by a cheaper machine.

$1999 MACBOOK PRO 15.4 INCH On Newegg vs $1799 Asus N90 18.4 inch screen

Screen Size:
Macbook Pro: 15.4 1440x900
Asus: 18.4 Inch: 1920 x 1080
Winner: Asus
Nerd Comments: Although 1920x1080 isn't a Major upgrade over 1440x900 it is technically 1080p rather then 1080i. However, the 18.4 Inch Screen makes this an easy asus win.

Harddrive:
Macbook pro: 250GB 5400RPM
Asus: 1 Terabyte (1000gb) 5400RPm. It's actually 2 500GB drives. Which is great if you want to backup your data. Or upgrade later!
Nerd Comments: 4 times the hard drive space is nothing to sneeze at.

Processor:
Macbook Pro: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 3MB Cache
Asus: Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66G 6MB Cache
nerd Comments: Relatively similar chips. Doulbe the L2 cache is nice. you probably won't notice a difference. Both are snappy chips. The Asus is definnitely faster though.

RAM (Memory)
Macbook Pro: 2GB DDR3
Asus: 4gb DDR2.
nerd Comments: 4gb of DDR2 on a 64bit OS is pretty similar to 2GB on a 32bit. But 64 uses it more efficiently and therefore it wins.

Graphics Card:
Macbook Pro: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT / NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Asus: NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M
Winner: asus
Nerd Comments: If you want to play games like Crysis you will be able to run it at around medium on the Asus. thats no easy task on most laptops. Again at least you can play games on a PC.

Operating System:
Macbook Pro: OSX
Asus: VISTA 64 Bit.
Winner: TIE
OSX is probably the better OS for everyday use. 64Bit vista though is pretty sweet especially with the 4GB of ram. Pick your poison. I'd update to Windows 7 immediately though.

BONUS!!!!!!! Winner ASUS! Blu Ray Drive with HDMI Output! Do you have an HD TV. This can be used as your Blu Ray player.

Anyways Overall I'd tell you that all you need was the Lenovo. The Asus is frickin sweet though and both are MUCH better options then the Macbook.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue May 19, 2009 4:55 pm

where's the dead horse?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue May 19, 2009 5:10 pm

acsguitar wrote:Listen Macs are very functional and have advantages over Windows (Windows has advantages as well). However, I can get a 400 dollar 15.4 Inch PC and yet a VERY similar model is 2000k for a Mac.

I wouldn't pay two million bucks for any computer, unless it was that hard on colider thing they have going in Europe or something.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

I wouldn't pay two million bucks for any computer, unless it was that hard on colider thing they have going in Europe or something.

ZZZZ Crickets
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to General Talk