Juan Rivera is beginning to heat up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Juan Rivera is beginning to heat up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Juan Rivera is beginning to heat up

Postby Aaronta77 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:22 am

Thought I would point it out. He's raised his average to .297. Certainly worth starting against LHP's

A
Aaronta77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Juan Rivera is beginning to heat up

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:14 am

hes been on my watchlist all season... definitely a guy worth keeping a close eye on ;-D
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AdvRider » Tue May 19, 2009 1:12 pm

What's the outlook for Rivera's playing time, do you think? Vlad should be back next week (as DH) but don't think that will impact it ... I haven't followed Rivera too closely this year so thanks for the heads-up & any more insight.

I was a happy Rivera owner in his bust-out 2006 season. Re LHP/RHP starts, it's worth noting that 16 of his 23 jacks that year came vs. RHP. ;-)
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:38 pm

Vlads on his way back. Not much value in Rivera, especially with the way Mike Napolis been performing at the DH.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby lbblue » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:47 pm

I was looking for OF depth on the wire and had no idea Rivera was having such a nice season. I really know very little about him. I see an old comment in this thread saying that he'd have no value once Vlad came back, but Rivera is still playing every day and playing well. Can anyone give me any background on this guy? Do you expect him to continue playing every day and what kind of projections do you have for him going forward?
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SM182 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Rivera is going to continue to play pretty much everyday. The guy is known on the Angels as a 2nd half player. He hits up when the weather heats up. As far as projections I could see him hitting .300, 20-25 home runs and driving in close to 80-90 runs. He's overlooked, won't provide much speed. He doesn't walk alot but he doesn' strike out alot (only 18 k's on the season in 200+ at bats). And as Vlad continues to slump, Rivera is getting moved up into the heart of the order. At one point this year, the guy had been hitting int he 7th, 8th hole. I'm pretty sure you'll see him hitting 3rd-6th the rest of the way.

Mixed leagues, he's definitely worth a look. AL only leagues, he should be starting.
SM182
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby lbblue » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:11 pm

SM182 wrote:Rivera is going to continue to play pretty much everyday. The guy is known on the Angels as a 2nd half player. He hits up when the weather heats up. As far as projections I could see him hitting .300, 20-25 home runs and driving in close to 80-90 runs. He's overlooked, won't provide much speed. He doesn't walk alot but he doesn' strike out alot (only 18 k's on the season in 200+ at bats). And as Vlad continues to slump, Rivera is getting moved up into the heart of the order. At one point this year, the guy had been hitting int he 7th, 8th hole. I'm pretty sure you'll see him hitting 3rd-6th the rest of the way.

Mixed leagues, he's definitely worth a look. AL only leagues, he should be starting.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

I will soon be in need of OF depth and probably will have to end up dropping Chris Davis for an OF so I'm looking pretty hard at Rivera. I welcome anyone's opinion that is familiar with the player, as I really am not.
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Splendid61 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:15 pm

SM182 wrote:Rivera is going to continue to play pretty much everyday. The guy is known on the Angels as a 2nd half player. He hits up when the weather heats up. As far as projections I could see him hitting .300, 20-25 home runs and driving in close to 80-90 runs. He's overlooked, won't provide much speed. He doesn't walk alot but he doesn' strike out alot (only 18 k's on the season in 200+ at bats). And as Vlad continues to slump, Rivera is getting moved up into the heart of the order. At one point this year, the guy had been hitting int he 7th, 8th hole. I'm pretty sure you'll see him hitting 3rd-6th the rest of the way.

Understatement of the century. Rivera was once caught stealing on 13 consecutive SB attempts, which makes him the co-owner of that dubious record in the AL.

I'm trying to figure out the 30-year-old Rivera's HR potential. The scoring system in my points league mirrors OPS, so while Rivera's low K-rate should lead to a high AVG, his low BB-rate will impede his OBP (and his OPS if the HR aren't there).

His power is streaky. In 2006, he hit 13 HR in a 28-game span. Rivera finished that season hitting only 3 HR in the final 44 games, but hr still batted .321 in those games. Given his low K-rate and great contact rates, Rivera should be able to sustain a great average, but he has shown to be a slow starter who really needs to be in the lineup getting AB's everyday or else he has a lot of trouble finding his groove.

Rivera has found his groove relatively early this season (.351 avg, 1.073 OPS, 8 HR, 21 RBI, 7 BB, 9 K in 94 AB over the last month) and consistent AB's shouldn't be a problem if Rivera can stay healthy, Mike Scioscia has refused to play Vlad Guerrero in the OF and Torii Hunter recently bruised his ribs.
Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jackie hayes » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:10 pm

AdvRider wrote:What's the outlook for Rivera's playing time, do you think? Vlad should be back next week (as DH) but don't think that will impact it ... I haven't followed Rivera too closely this year so thanks for the heads-up & any more insight.

I was a happy Rivera owner in his bust-out 2006 season. Re LHP/RHP starts, it's worth noting that 16 of his 23 jacks that year came vs. RHP. ;-)

He's had this reputation as a platoon guy (at least, I've heard others talk about him like that before), but his splits are pretty close to even over his career. Loses some power (about 50 points in slg), but avg and obp are pretty close. Not a bad low-end of in standard leagues, as long as he's getting pt.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 125)

Postby Joe Mama » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:46 pm

Let's see if he can keep it going tonight!
Joe Mama
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers