Uh-oh: Game 4 vs Lakers and WWE Raw - Same Date, Same Place - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Uh-oh: Game 4 vs Lakers and WWE Raw - Same Date, Same Place

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Uh-oh: Game 4 vs Lakers and WWE Raw - Same Date, Same Place

Postby Madison » Tue May 19, 2009 1:54 pm

the Pepsi Center confirmed in March with the WWE that the organization wanted to keep the May 25 date, and sent a contract on April 15 — which WWE signed and returned.

Heard about this earlier. What I quoted is the biggest thing that sticks out to me. How can management be that dumb? :-S A month ago (the last day of the season!) they didn't take into consideration the possibility of the playoffs while booking their arena? 8-o Seriously? :-S

Quite curious to see how this goes...
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silentjim » Tue May 19, 2009 2:04 pm

I'm guessing the NBA pays McMahon the entire cost of everything (tickets, trucks, whatever else). McMahon hosts the event somewhere else (different venue or a parking lot as he suggests) and ticket buyers get a refund, but still get to keep their tickets and McMahon looks like a hero and the NBA looks kind of like a villain, but with some respect.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Madison » Tue May 19, 2009 2:07 pm

jlm53089 wrote:I saw Vince McMahons interview on ESPNEWS.
And man was he pissed, it was funny, he was just trashing the owner of the nuggets.
He even put on a Kobe Jersey :-b

Even funnier is that McMahon was interviewed for that segment by Jonathan Coachman, who used to work for the WWE and Coachman was a running joke on the show (Example). :-b

silentjim wrote:I'm guessing the NBA pays McMahon the entire cost of everything (tickets, trucks, whatever else). McMahon hosts the event somewhere else (different venue or a parking lot as he suggests) and ticket buyers get a refund, but still get to keep their tickets and McMahon looks like a hero and the NBA looks kind of like a villain, but with some respect.

That is the most likely scenario unless the cost gets too high, and it will be more than 7 figures for the arena to buy their way out of this mistake.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Tue May 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Madison wrote:
silentjim wrote:I'm guessing the NBA pays McMahon the entire cost of everything (tickets, trucks, whatever else). McMahon hosts the event somewhere else (different venue or a parking lot as he suggests) and ticket buyers get a refund, but still get to keep their tickets and McMahon looks like a hero and the NBA looks kind of like a villain, but with some respect.

That is the most likely scenario unless the cost gets too high, and it will be more than 7 figures for the arena to buy their way out of this mistake.

I am guessing they pay him slightly than the difference revenues because if they went to court the most McMahon could get is the difference in revenues.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Stan Kroenke should be arrested for impersonating a good businessman.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby jfg » Tue May 19, 2009 7:26 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I'd rather watch Raw.

That's what I said about the Yanni concert the other week.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Madison » Tue May 19, 2009 9:08 pm

thedude wrote:
Madison wrote:

I am guessing they pay him slightly than the difference revenues because if they went to court the most McMahon could get is the difference in revenues.

They are easily on the hook for a whole lot more than that. This isn't a "whoops, here's a refund" type of situation. A million easy and that's not even getting into any gray areas or any damage type of stuff.

My guess? $3 million. Probably cheaper for them to just play the NBA game elsewhere. Or swap dates with the other team, so Game 4 is an away game and one of the away games becomes a home game.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby CadensDad » Wed May 20, 2009 12:58 am

Yea, this isn't just about the fans not getting to see the live RAW, this is the USA network they are dealing with who have a contract with WWE for 2 hours of live wrestling, (One of the highest rated shows on TV) Not to mention the other shows (Velocity or something) that is also taped before the RAW event.

I see no way other than the WWE winning this, the Nuggets just cant afford to pay the WWE off

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed May 20, 2009 1:16 am

I'd move this game to LA if I was the NBA to punish the Nuggets. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby jfg » Wed May 20, 2009 7:27 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/05/20/wwe.nuggets.ap/index.html?eref=si_latest

WWE chairman Vince McMahon said Staples Center called and offered use of its building and that his organization will return to Denver for an event at the Coliseum on Aug. 7.

Sounds like a win for Vince McMahon since he probably gets two events scheduled for the price of one.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk