Uh-oh: Game 4 vs Lakers and WWE Raw - Same Date, Same Place - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Uh-oh: Game 4 vs Lakers and WWE Raw - Same Date, Same Place

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Uh-oh: Game 4 vs Lakers and WWE Raw - Same Date, Same Place

Postby roninmedia » Mon May 18, 2009 11:46 pm

Nuggets, WWE wrestling over arena confict
Game 4 vs. Lakers scheduled for same night as pro wrestling show
The Associated Press
updated 8:35 p.m. ET, Mon., May 18, 2009

Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers are scheduled to be at the Pepsi Center in Denver next Monday night.

Problem is, so are John Cena and a bunch of wrestlers — and they called it first.

World Wrestling Entertainment said it is booked at the arena for an episode of Monday Night Raw, the same night the Nuggets are slated to host the Lakers in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals.

WWE chairman Vince McMahon told The Associated Press he doesn’t believe there was “any malice, just ineptness,” on the part of Kroenke Sports, which owns the team and the building, but can’t tolerate the company “just simply throwing us out on our ear.”

Without a quick resolution, McMahon plans to send his trucks to Denver.

“That’s what we intend to do,” he said. “We’re going to show up.”

WWE spokesman Robert Zimmerman said the organization secured the Pepsi Center last Aug. 15 and has already sold more than 10,000 tickets for the event. He says the organization expects a sellout, with tickets ranging from $20 to $70.

McMahon blamed Kroenke for not believing his team was good enough to still be playing in mid-May.

“The fans in Denver had a lot more faith in making the playoffs than the owner,” he said in a phone interview from Louisville, where Raw was taking place later Monday night.

Denver is usually done with basketball by now. The Nuggets had lost in the first round five straight years, but as the No. 2 seed in the West are in the conference finals for the first time since 1985.

Paul Andrews, executive vice president of Kroenke Sports Enterprises, issued a statement Monday night concerning the scheduling conflict, saying: “We are working with the WWE to resolve the situation amicably.”

The league, which handles scheduling during the playoffs, is leaving it up to the team and the WWE to figure things out.

“The Nuggets and the WWE understand that the date of Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals cannot be changed,” NBA senior vice president Mike Bass said. “We are confident that the Pepsi Center and the WWE will resolve their scheduling conflict.”

Zimmerman said the Pepsi Center confirmed in March with the WWE that the organization wanted to keep the May 25 date, and sent a contract on April 15 — the final night of the regular season — which WWE signed and returned. Tickets went on sale April 11.

The conflict didn’t arise until Sunday, when the Lakers beat the Houston Rockets in Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinals. Had the Rockets won, Denver would have had home-court advantage in the next round, hosting Games 1 and 2 and putting the May 25 game in Houston.

As of Monday afternoon, the schedule on the Pepsi Center’s Web site listed WWE for 6:30 p.m. local time and Western Conference finals Game 4 at 7 p.m. Tickets for the wrestling event could still be purchased online.

McMahon said he couldn’t guess how much he would make from the show, but that canceling wasn’t easy because of how much is involved in moving his equipment, plus filling its obligated time slot on USA Network. Litigation is likely — but he plans to be putting on a card.

“When you do have a date, you plan everything around it,” he said, adding, “we may be holding an event in a parking lot somewhere.”

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30813838/
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Uh-oh: Game 4 vs Lakers and WWE Raw - Same Date, Same Place

Postby AussieDodger » Mon May 18, 2009 11:52 pm

Haha :-D

Looks like the Nuggets might be playing the Lakers in a local gym that night ;-7
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby CadensDad » Mon May 18, 2009 11:53 pm

WOW, in this day and time they let something like this happen at a HUGE arena, this isn't some small town civic center, this is a very large arena. This is gonna be funny to watch

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon May 18, 2009 11:55 pm

I've sort of wondered why the West finals starts tomorrow instead of Wednesday when the East finals could've been in Tuesday's slot. That way, Lakers/Nuggets Game 4 pushes on to next Tuesday. Not that I'm complaining, there will be a Game 4 at Staples now. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby jlm53089 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:17 am

I saw Vince McMahons interview on ESPNEWS.
And man was he pissed, it was funny, he was just trashing the owner of the nuggets.
He even put on a Kobe Jersey :-b
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby ayebatter » Tue May 19, 2009 1:11 am

I'm thinking a WWE extended half time show would be fun. :-b
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 19, 2009 10:45 am

I hope they hold it in Coors field or mile high
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby mac-unit » Tue May 19, 2009 11:05 am

This happened a week ago with the Capitals/Penguins game and a Yanni concert. They were smart and moved the game. WWE wins here, they have a contract.

Sport outlets always talks about how the NHL is horribly ran, but this shows that the NBA is even worse.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby thedude » Tue May 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Ha. I suppose they could have the NBA game elsewhere. The team could move it the the Coors Events Center at the University of Colorado in Boulder. Though if they did that they would lose about 8000 seats and have to pay to rent the arena.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:16 pm

I'd rather watch Raw.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero