Rickie Weeks out for the season (Wrist) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rickie Weeks out for the season (Wrist)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rickie Weeks out for the season (Wrist)

Postby jaytizy » Mon May 18, 2009 7:54 pm

very tough loss for the brewers :-/
jaytizy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Ender » Mon May 18, 2009 9:30 pm

JTWood go back and watch every game he played this year and you'll notice he just looked different this year~ Everything he hit was hard and while yeah his BB were low that was really just an April blip more than anything. He walked on opening day and then had a huge stretch without one and then he had 11 BB in his last 89 PA.

His defense had also been noticeably different this year, Randolph got him to slow down a lot and his foot work was much improved.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bwanna » Mon May 18, 2009 10:34 pm

I feel really bad for the guy.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby CadensDad » Mon May 18, 2009 10:37 pm

Bwanna wrote:I feel really bad for the guy.

I feel bad for my buddy who had him and Kelly Johnson at 2b

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:14 pm

I've never understood this "feeling bad for a guy" sentiment when someone gets injured. Weeks now gets paid 2.8 million while he hangs out with a limp wrist :-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon May 18, 2009 11:16 pm

Gah.

Fontenot deployed. :-C
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 18, 2009 11:22 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:

I've never understood this "feeling bad for a guy" sentiment when someone gets injured. Weeks now gets paid 2.8 million while he hangs out with a limp wrist :-D

Because he's... in... pain? Not getting to play the game he loves? Disappointing fans and teammates? :-?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:48 pm

Ender wrote:JTWood go back and watch every game he played this year and you'll notice he just looked different this year~ Everything he hit was hard and while yeah his BB were low that was really just an April blip more than anything. He walked on opening day and then had a huge stretch without one and then he had 11 BB in his last 89 PA.

His defense had also been noticeably different this year, Randolph got him to slow down a lot and his foot work was much improved.

Right. His HRs weren't flyballs that scraped the wall, they were bombs, and that's the kind of bat speed he has. His walks were climbing back up, probably because opposing pitchers were starting to respect his ability to beat them deep. And you're right, his defense was visibly improved. This is a big, big disappointment. Weeks is a personal favorite of mind, and it was exciting to see this progression. They don't have a replacement that's even remotely interesting...Counsell's been solid, but I don't truly expect it to keep up. At least the OBP and defense should be solid. Perhaps this means Gamel gets more PT, but for some reason I doubt. I think we'll be seeing a lot of Bill Hall at 3rd, Counsell at 2nd. This does nothing but hurt the Brewers.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Bwanna » Tue May 19, 2009 12:14 am

bigh0rt wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:

Because he's... in... pain? Not getting to play the game he loves? Disappointing fans and teammates? :-?

Uhh... yeah pretty much. He's appears to be a good guy and a hard worker in spite of frustrating fantasy owners year after year.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:28 am

JTWood wrote:
Ender wrote:
JTWood wrote:wow...

But let's be honest here. This is actually good for the Brewers. This will finally force them to give someone else the opportunity to prove that they perform at least as well as Weeks has and hopefully more consistently.

No this is terrible news. Take a look at his stats so far this season including his UZR/150. He was playing above average defense so far this year and found his power stroke. So far he was on pace to be a 3-4 win player. This will likely cost them a win or two in the standings for the season.

Btw this is the other wrist, the DR he saw said he had never seen someone have this same injury to both wrists before.

Oh, I took a look at his season. You are right that he is off to a nice start, but the reality is that his peripheral set is horrible this year. If not for his excessive HR/FB%, he would be performing very poorly right now. He was primed for a massive fall off.

BB%: 7.5% :-P
O-Swing: 23.1% %-6 X-I :-P (compared to ~19% in years past)
HR/FB%: 19.1% :-o
IFH%: 22.5% c'mon! :-t

Yes, his UZR/150 is looking very good (28.3), but he's never had a UZR/150 in the positive before.

No, this guy was going to fall very hard very soon. When those FBs stopped leaving the park and starting landing in mitts, his corroded plate discipline was going to finally show through. The Brewers will be better served in the long run getting someone else out there that will perform consistently at that position, instead of sporadically putting up good numbers that force the team (and fantasy players) to hold on to him when he's not even at replacement level.

Lol, please watch a game before you say this is great for the Brewers. Weeks has always had the "talent" to have a very solid year and it just so happens it was happening in his age 26 season. Weeks was hammering the ball when he made contact but, the stats will not tell you this. Could he regress back to his old ways? Maybe, maybe not.

Here's an interesting article I read on him just a few days ago.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index. ... hers-in-09
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers