Rickie Weeks out for the season (Wrist) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rickie Weeks out for the season (Wrist)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rickie Weeks out for the season (Wrist)

Postby Ender » Mon May 18, 2009 6:07 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/45348082.html

St. Louis - General manager Doug Melvin just gave us the very bad news that second baseman Rickie Weeks is out for the season with the wrist injury he suffered Sunday.

Weeks has a torn tendon sheath in his left wrist that must be repaired surgically. The recovery time for that surgery is 4-6 months.

It's a tough blow for the Brewers and also for Weeks, who was off to the best start of his career with a .272 batting average, nine homers, 24 RBI and a .517 slugging percentage.

It's the same injury Weeks had to his right wrist late in the 2006 season. He had surgery in August of that season and was still bothered the next season but he'll have more time to recover now.

"It's a tough loss for us and a tough loss for the kid," said Melvin. "He worked so hard at his game and was so mentally strong. I'm so disappointed for him personally, putting aside the team.

Tough loss for the Brewers. I have to assume this means extra playtime for Gamel with Counsell playing a good bit of 2B. They have some minor league options as well so I doubt they trade for anyone.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rickie Weeks out for the season (Wrist)

Postby BigTex24 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:20 pm

I feel like crying :~(
BigTex24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JTWood » Mon May 18, 2009 6:26 pm

wow...

But let's be honest here. This is actually good for the Brewers. This will finally force them to give someone else the opportunity to prove that they perform at least as well as Weeks has and hopefully more consistently.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon May 18, 2009 6:27 pm

Yowch. :-/

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Old_Style » Mon May 18, 2009 6:30 pm

I think I've heard this one before.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Mon May 18, 2009 6:31 pm

JTWood wrote:wow...

But let's be honest here. This is actually good for the Brewers. This will finally force them to give someone else the opportunity to prove that they perform at least as well as Weeks has and hopefully more consistently.

No this is terrible news. Take a look at his stats so far this season including his UZR/150. He was playing above average defense so far this year and found his power stroke. So far he was on pace to be a 3-4 win player. This will likely cost them a win or two in the standings for the season.

Btw this is the other wrist, the DR he saw said he had never seen someone have this same injury to both wrists before.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BigTex24 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Huh? Weeks has been having a very good season, the type of season that most people thought he'd be having throughout his career....this is brutal news for them.
BigTex24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jackie hayes » Mon May 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Bummer... I don't own him in any leagues, but I was rooting for him to have a big year. (Except for those weeks when I'd go against him. :-D ) I really wanted to see what he could do with a healthy year.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby JTWood » Mon May 18, 2009 7:20 pm

Ender wrote:

No this is terrible news. Take a look at his stats so far this season including his UZR/150. He was playing above average defense so far this year and found his power stroke. So far he was on pace to be a 3-4 win player. This will likely cost them a win or two in the standings for the season.

Btw this is the other wrist, the DR he saw said he had never seen someone have this same injury to both wrists before.

Oh, I took a look at his season. You are right that he is off to a nice start, but the reality is that his peripheral set is horrible this year. If not for his excessive HR/FB%, he would be performing very poorly right now. He was primed for a massive fall off.

BB%: 7.5% :-P
O-Swing: 23.1% %-6 X-I :-P (compared to ~19% in years past)
HR/FB%: 19.1% :-o
IFH%: 22.5% c'mon! :-t

Yes, his UZR/150 is looking very good (28.3), but he's never had a UZR/150 in the positive before.

No, this guy was going to fall very hard very soon. When those FBs stopped leaving the park and starting landing in mitts, his corroded plate discipline was going to finally show through. The Brewers will be better served in the long run getting someone else out there that will perform consistently at that position, instead of sporadically putting up good numbers that force the team (and fantasy players) to hold on to him when he's not even at replacement level.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby shmolex » Mon May 18, 2009 7:50 pm

what a jerk
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers