Randy Wells, SP Cubs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Randy Wells, SP Cubs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Randy Wells, SP Cubs?

Postby gmq » Mon May 18, 2009 12:10 am

Any knowledge of Wells' potential? Two decent starts so far, seems like a solid enough K guy, might stick in rotation when Zambrano returns...
gmq
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Randy Wells, SP Cubs?

Postby rich101682 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:14 am

Not sure what his potential is, but I would say there's a really good chance of him staying in the rotation when Big Z comes back, mostly because I think Lou really wants Marshall to be able to pitch out of the bullpen.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby gmq » Thu May 28, 2009 11:29 am

So he's still in the rotation, had another solid outing last time around 7ip 3er 7k, and is up tonight....

Any Cubs fans with some words on this fella?
gmq
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tommy John » Thu May 28, 2009 12:05 pm

I don't think Wells is going to blow anyone away in the long-term. He is having some success right now, but once the league adjusts to him, I think he will become a very average pitcher. He is 27 years old and his minor league numbers are not overwhelming, considering his age (he has never had an ERA under 4 at the AAA level).

Lou needs another lefty in the bullpen and is wondering if he can replace Marshall in the rotation, I'm betting Wells gets just a few more looks before things start catching up with him, but he has given the Cubs a decent run up to this point. Marshall is the superior pitcher, but until they decide what they are going to do with the bullpen, Marshall's situation will remain in question.

It would not surprise me to see them aquire a lefty and leave Marshall in the rotation, or acquire another starter to bump Marshall to the pen. They have money free in their preparation to trade for Peavy which obviously fell through so it wouldn't surprise me to see them make a move to clear up the situation.

Just my take on the situation, provides little answer though.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers