Bad Deal...Collusion? Veto? Pleas Help! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Bad Deal...Collusion? Veto? Pleas Help!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bad Deal...Collusion? Veto? Pleas Help!

Postby bongovt » Sat May 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Im the commish of a 12 team 5X5 roto...Im also in first place right now...the guy in 10th wants to send AJ Burnett and Matt Lindstrom to the guy in 2nd for Hermida and Jhonny Peralta...this seems pretty obviously unbalanced to me...the guy getting the good end is a second year player, found on a msg board(so we dont really know him...) and has been a good player, and seemingly a nice guy from far away. The other guy is new to our league this year and was recruited by the first guy...so they are either working together, or he's ripping off his buddy! Now ive always been the "no veto w/o collusion" type of guy...and this is the first year we've actually added commish approval to the trade process--for just this reason--the league has grown from friends (and friends of friends) to bigger and spread out across the country w/. some random joiners. But it seems to me to be the epitome of collusion, right? Should I shoot this down for certain? Give them a chance to defend? Put it to a league vote? I know the decision is ultimately mine, but since one of them is chasing me, its a bit awkward...I know lots of folks are looking for pitching, especially closers...and I for one, would have paid more for either of those guys!!!They werent even listed as "on the block"!!! Any comment would be appreciated! WHIR for sure! leave a link!! thanks!
"If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...'cuz I'm gonna burn one down...yes I'm gonna burn one down!"--Ben Harper
bongovt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bad Deal...Collusion? Veto? Pleas Help!

Postby pjalst » Sat May 16, 2009 6:46 pm

A lot of people negotiate trades without putting player "on the block" so don't let that be a factor. It does sound kind of fishy that this guy worked out this trade with another guy that he suposedly recruited into the league. It helps if to have negative feeback on the trade from other owners, this way it doesn't look like you're just protecting your standing. I'd also chat with other owners in the league to see if he approached other teams with trade offers. If not, then I would be very suspiscious. It usually takes offers to 2-3 teams before I come to an agreement on an offer.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 65)

Postby SumG » Sun May 17, 2009 10:59 pm

I personally don't like the commish review option for trades, it may expedite things, but in situations like this it can get touchy. I'd try to talk to the managers before making a move. If both guys can provide understandable justification for making the move (looking for a power-hitting MI, hole at SS, etc.) then you have to let it through. If they skirt around the issue, then you can veto.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon May 18, 2009 10:25 am

SumG wrote:I personally don't like the commish review option for trades, it may expedite things, but in situations like this it can get touchy. I'd try to talk to the managers before making a move. If both guys can provide understandable justification for making the move (looking for a power-hitting MI, hole at SS, etc.) then you have to let it through. If they skirt around the issue, then you can veto.

this
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby OldDirtyBatter » Mon May 18, 2009 5:23 pm

What makes this trade hard to understand for me, is the fact that both Hermida and Peralta are not playing well. What makes the guy in 10th place want to make this deal. Burnett and Lindstrom are not tearing it up, but Burnett is a workhorse Sp on a good team, and Lindstrom is a closer. I am certain that multiple better offers would emerge if Burnett/Lindstrom were shopped around. This type of thing is the reason a veto is in place. What trade value do Peralta and Hermida have? On most rosters, these guys are riding the bench.

I'm not sure how many times you have had to veto in the past, but stick to your guns. A bad trade is a bad trade. If you have truly made an unjust decision(NO WAY in this case), the rest of the league will call you out on it. I expect the guy in 2nd to complain. If the guy in 10th argues, I would love to hear how Peralta and Hermida were going to turn his team around(lol).

I wouldn't hold it against 2nd place for trying to pull this off. He should do some token complaining and carry on.
OldDirtyBatter
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby eneric » Wed May 20, 2009 12:30 pm

You should veto if and ONLY if collusion is proven, tough to do I know. Now if you take it upon yourself to veto this trade based upon your suspicion without proof you're setting a precedent not soon to be forgotten. Since neither of the players invovled are winning any MVP awards anytime soon I wouldn't worry about it. Certainly these players aren't good enough to make or break anyone's season.
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby yearbend » Sat May 30, 2009 9:41 pm

the trade may look unfair but if the first team needs what the second team is giving and vice versa then i would not get involved, im sure you could put the vote to league vote and that will be enough.

thank you very much for the sig, soty!
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=45974

^^ soty's profile page ^^
yearbend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner