Kevin Gregg, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Kevin Gregg, ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kevin Gregg, ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Postby bazzy_51 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:48 pm

How much more can the cub's organization, let alone the fans, take of this joke they call a closer??? my god...

lets just take today SO FAR... comes into the 9th with a plentiful 4-0 lead, first to batters jack him back-2-back, Berkman/Lee... then Tejada a single to left followed by a single by Pence to center, thus moving Tejada over to 3rd... right now 1st and 3rd no outs and has already shrank the lead from 4-0 to 4-2...

so far this year counting today, 15.1 IP 19 Hits, 9 ER, 4 HR, 10 BB 0-1 record with only 6 saves...

is there something wrong with this guy, can anyone elaborate a bit?

EDIT!: oh just to make it that much worse, Geoff Blum comes up with 2 out, no outs, Gregg starts him off gets him down 0-2 count and rather then a strikeout he instead Hits him... BASES LOADED NO OUTS top of 9 with a 4-2 lead and Pudge up, great just great cuz he just got pulled for Heilman who gave up a single to Pudge, game now tied 4-4 put blown save #2 up with Gregg oh and there are still no outs runners on 1st and 2nd...wahhhhh :~( :~( :~( :-X :-X

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kevin Gregg, ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Postby bazzy_51 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:50 pm

btw IMO worst acquisitions of the year go to the Cubs thus far for Kevin Gregg and Milton Bradley, GREAT CALL BOYS!! :-t

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bazzy_51 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:54 pm

oh yeah not to mention Aaron Heilman also!... 17 G, 16 IP 2-2 with 2 blown saves, 13 H, 10 R, 9 ER, 11 BB 14 Ks, yes thats a 5.06 ERA and a 1.50 WHIP, not to count what kind of damage hes in for today... wow, just wow....done with my tirade now...

but seriously what are yall's thoughts on these 3 cats? gonna turn it around? hidden injuries? mechanical issues? insight?

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JMB05 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:02 pm

It's the Cubs. People amaze me when they cannot fathom terrible moves by an organization that has been making them for over 100 years.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby ROC AllStars » Sat May 16, 2009 5:09 pm

Marmol should be the Cubs closer. No one is afraid of Gregg, and he puts too many guys on base to be used consistently in tight situations. What good is it for a team to hold in the 8th only to get blown away in the 9th? IMO your best short reliever is your closer, and that is, without question, Marmol. I'm holding him to back up Gregg anyway, so let's hope that Pinella gets the picture and makes the move soon.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 11)

Postby hwiggen » Sat May 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Those of us who've owned Gregg in the past are not suprised a bit. That said, he's still a servicable closer for fantasy purposes as long as Piniella keeps him in that role.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun May 17, 2009 2:48 am

hwiggen wrote:Those of us who've owned Gregg in the past are not suprised a bit. That said, he's still a servicable closer for fantasy purposes as long as Piniella keeps him in that role.

well on that thought i think this may be a little skewed... given Lou's past there is no way this is just Lou's decision, he is a quick fire coach especially when it comes to pitchers who can't get it done, i remember watching a game earlier in the season Lou went through 3 relievers in 2 batters because they weren't hitting the strike zone... why exactly is he being so patient with Gregg when he has relievers that can get the job done...

now this may be REALLY far fetched, but, with the way Randy Wells is pitching if he keeps it up when Big Z returns could we see Dempster swap back to the Closer role once again? :-?

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jermhorse » Sun May 17, 2009 9:59 am

Gregg's time as cubs closer is definitely going to be limited if he continues like this. I would love to see marmol in the 9th but didn't they try that at the beginning of last year and this one. Marmol seemed to self destruct like Olie Perez post '07. I think Marmol is a nice fit as set-up.(aint broke dont fix it)
Dempster as closer would be great, but hugely missed in the starting line up,
With the young talent they have to chew up innings .... Marshal looks good also and if I remember correctly didn't he come out in the 10th and snag the win.

-Also what do think Lou will do with Hoffpauer
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=385511
jermhorse
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates