Jorge De La Rosa - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jorge De La Rosa

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jorge De La Rosa

Postby acsguitar » Sun May 17, 2009 10:22 pm

He is a K machine. Actually he K's more guys then Ubaldo. He's got the stuff. He's a bit of a mental case though. Good in deeper leagues
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby superslugger616 » Sun May 17, 2009 10:35 pm

Theres no reason he can't be the ace of this staff.
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Sun May 17, 2009 10:41 pm

superslugger616 wrote:Theres no reason he can't be the ace of this staff.

Thats not saying much though. Ubaldo has tons of talent though but the Rox's management is terrible
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby mtarail » Mon May 18, 2009 1:52 am

I'm liking myself some De La Rosa. Pitchers don't frequently put together two consecutive 10K games, and that says something about De La Rosa's stuff. I'm sure he'll have ups and downs this year, but he's worth a flyer for sure.

I know a lot of people like Jimenez. The buzz on Jimenez reminds me a lot of what I heard about Daniel Cabrera a few years ago, before people gave up on him. (Having said that Cabrera is almost 28, and still has a small window left to show that he can be a solid pitcher.) I don't see Jimenez taking that next step, towards being an elite pitcher, until he totally rethinks his approach. He is a guy that will need to smarten up and trade velocity for control.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby superslugger616 » Mon May 18, 2009 2:01 am

mtarail wrote:I'm liking myself some De La Rosa. Pitchers don't frequently put together two consecutive 10K games, and that says something about De La Rosa's stuff. I'm sure he'll have ups and downs this year, but he's worth a flyer for sure.

I know a lot of people like Jimenez. The buzz on Jimenez reminds me a lot of what I heard about Daniel Cabrera a few years ago, before people gave up on him. (Having said that Cabrera is almost 28, and still has a small window left to show that he can be a solid pitcher.) I don't see Jimenez taking that next step, towards being an elite pitcher, until he totally rethinks his approach. He is a guy that will need to smarten up and trade velocity for control.

I made the same connection between Jimenez and Cabrera. Ubaldo will have to adjust to avoid taking a similar path. His past 3 starts have seen a decrease in walks, but lets see him do it consistently.
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DbacksRback » Mon May 18, 2009 2:03 am

mtarail wrote:I'm liking myself some De La Rosa. Pitchers don't frequently put together two consecutive 10K games, and that says something about De La Rosa's stuff. I'm sure he'll have ups and downs this year, but he's worth a flyer for sure.

I own Jiminez and De La Rosa. With Jiminez its all about controll and if you look his last three starts have been very good and he only had a total of 3 walks in those starts(21 innings). In his 3 starts before that he had 14 walks in only 12 innings. It just shows that when he lowers his walks he can be a very good pitcher.

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue May 19, 2009 12:28 pm

the first thing that comes to mind when i think of a Rockies pitcher is you dont want to start them at home. De La Rosa has some interesting home/away splits..
home- 4.34 ERA/ 0.96 WHIP
away- 2.25 ERA/ 1.33 WHIP
usually the high ERA and WHIP go together, but here they are opposite.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue May 19, 2009 12:40 pm

I cut ties with Jonathan Sanchez in a few leagues and picked up De La Rosa. I'm hoping for the best, but I've never actually have seen him pitch, so I'm not sure what I'm getting here. :-o
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby oddmanout7 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:50 pm

Take a look at his pitch selection, and the difference between now and his first extended burn in 2007 is stark. When he came into the league, De La Rosa was throwing his 92-93 MPH fastball 62.3% of the time, and his 83 MPH slider 1.7% of the time. This year, he’s throwing those two pitches 56.1% and 23.3% of the time, respectively. He’s also cut his use of his 75 MPH curveball in half, from 13.1% to 6.5% this year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/the-reality-of-jorge-de-la-rosa

This is an interesting article on his 5/15 start along with comments on his release points and pitch selection.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JohnTucker0814 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:12 pm

I picked up De La Rosa in my 16 team Dynasty League right before his 10 K outing... I was planning on picking him up for that 1 start, just trying to get an extra win for the week and some K's... but after that start I decided to give him 1 more, which was the 12 K game, now I'll be keeping him for a while!

I got kinda lucky picking him up as he was 1 of 4 pitchers that were scheduled to pitch when I needed it and looking at the matchups I chose him.
JohnTucker0814
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers