Nelson Cruz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Nelson Cruz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nelson Cruz

Postby BigL531 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:36 pm

2nd time in 3 days not in the lineup. They have a crowded OF/DH/1st with Hamilton, Davis, Blalock, Andruw Jones, Byrd, Murphy and Cruz. So thats basically 2 spots for 4 guys (Cruz, Murphy, Byrd, and Jones). Looks like he might not be an everyday player unless someone gets hurt. Thoughts?
BigL531
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nelson Cruz

Postby JMB05 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:12 pm

JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Rollotommasi » Sat May 16, 2009 12:32 am

1 word: PLATOON
Rollotommasi
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RenPastana » Sat May 16, 2009 11:45 am

Rollotommasi wrote:1 word: PLATOON

Incorrect...Cruz, as Ron said, will end up playing ~150 games = not a platoon!

The Rangers are trying to make Andruw Jones and Blalock look awesomely awesome for trade purposes come June and thus far it's working
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rollotommasi » Sat May 16, 2009 2:05 pm

RenPastana wrote:
Rollotommasi wrote:1 word: PLATOON

Incorrect...Cruz, as Ron said, will end up playing ~150 games = not a platoon!

The Rangers are trying to make Andruw Jones and Blalock look awesomely awesome for trade purposes come June and thus far it's working

ok, if you trust MLB managers......

GL with that
Rollotommasi
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AdvRider » Sun May 17, 2009 12:19 pm

Let's face it, Cruz has done little to impress over the past month. 10 R 2 HR 10 RBI 3 SB .269 in 93 AB. And he'll be 29 in July and has never played a full MLB season. Upside ... ???

Yes he has posted super digits in the minors, like 37 HR 24 SBs 99 RBI in 383 AB last year, but historically his AAA production has not translated into the big show. His #124 O-rank at Yahoo was wildly optimistic IMHO.

Kubel is sitting on WW and looking like a better option at this point. :-?
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby RenPastana » Sun May 17, 2009 1:09 pm

AdvRider wrote:Let's face it, Cruz has done little to impress over the past month. 10 R 2 HR 10 RBI 3 SB .269 in 93 AB. And he'll be 29 in July and has never played a full MLB season. Upside ... ???

Yes he has posted super digits in the minors, like 37 HR 24 SBs 99 RBI in 383 AB last year, but historically his AAA production has not translated into the big show. His #124 O-rank at Yahoo was wildly optimistic IMHO.

If what you're saying is to drop Cruz for Kubel then I can't do anything but :-b

The summer heat is almost here in Texas...Cruz has been hitting a ton of balls to the warning track with confidence, so wait til the heat gets to Texas and those fly ball outs will turn into 2-3 run bombs!

Kubel...hahaha
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JMB05 » Sun May 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Look at his numbers for the season so far. The guy is a machine, and if all we get is one week of superhuman stats a month I will take it.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby AdvRider » Sun May 17, 2009 4:18 pm

RenPastana wrote:
AdvRider wrote:Let's face it, Cruz has done little to impress over the past month. 10 R 2 HR 10 RBI 3 SB .269 in 93 AB. And he'll be 29 in July and has never played a full MLB season. Upside ... ???

If what you're saying is to drop Cruz for Kubel then I can't do anything but :-b

The summer heat is almost here in Texas...Cruz has been hitting a ton of balls to the warning track with confidence, so wait til the heat gets to Texas and those fly ball outs will turn into 2-3 run bombs!

Kubel...hahaha

Rather rude reply. You keep watching those long fly balls. I'll keep watching to see if Cruz can bump up that lackluster .255 BA over his MLB career. I' ve been more than willing to give Cruz a chance to live up to the hype, but he hasn't paid dividends yet. Maybe he will. But maybe there's a good reason why at age 29 he's never had a full MLB season.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby RenPastana » Sun May 17, 2009 4:33 pm

AdvRider wrote:
RenPastana wrote:

Kubel...hahaha

Rather rude reply. You keep watching those long fly balls. I'll keep watching to see if Cruz can bump up that lackluster .255 BA over his MLB career. I' ve been more than willing to give Cruz a chance to live up to the hype, but he hasn't paid dividends yet. Maybe he will. But maybe there's a good reason why at age 29 he's never had a full MLB season.

Didn't mean to come off as rude but come on... You're telling me you'd pick Kubel over Cruz...seriously? So for that I apologize

There's a reason Kubel went undrafted in most leagues whereas Cruz went in the mid to late rounds...Not to mention Kubel plays in a 2-men offense (Mauer and Morneau) and Cruz, well...the Rangers #9 hitter is a potential 35+ HR hitter (C.Davis)...that should tell ya something
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates